I agree with some of the above mentioned technical notes. Aside from that I really liked this one. I'm a real sucker for sweet stories (maybe because I don't know how to make one myself). And the girl was very pretty as well, what can I say? I'm also a sucker for brunettes.
Anyhow, nice direction. Simple, personal, sincere. Good work.
Interesting color choice, really liked the first song. I had a little trouble following the story, but that might be just my lack of attention to detail.
I enjoyed it and got the story for the most part, but wasn't sure what the letter had to do with anything either. The CC in my opinion worked, as I can't really think of what other grade would have captured the mood.
Enjoyed the film. The lighting kinda knocked me off with the red bright lights then grading it down to night time. Didn't really understand much of the letter but good film.
Yeah the letter bit was confusing, it got passed by real quick in the beginning when the guy reaches for it.
Basically he wrote it to her as all the things he wanted to tell her, but would feel too cheesy saying them out loud.
***The ORIGINAL version of the film had dialog and a standard color grade. But due to certain issues (mostly time), I made a version using only the non-speaking parts and tried to tell a story that way. I added the heavily stylized color grade because I thought it would fit the non-realistic/surreal tone of the film.
This was a good learning experience for me and an amazing reminder of the power of editing. I often forget how powerful images and editing are in telling the story, rather than relying on dialog. You can tell much more than you think with just the images.
Well this played a silent film, and I thought it was pretty well done in that respect. People covered the letter. For me the grading wasnt the best choice, but thats my opinion, black and white would have served better for me. Regardless of the grading used that bedroom lamp was just too hot in exposure.
And some people will like it Im sure, but that opening track did nothing for me.
As I said I thought it was pretty well done overall. I like what you captured and where able to portray in your images.
This one didn't do very much for me, even on the second viewing. It felt like a music video that didn't quite match what was happening on screen. I was almost expecting the fist song to fade right out into dialog so we could pick up the heart of the story, but it just faded into more music and while that song worked better I just felt like there was so much more we were missing out on. Silent films really don't do much for me unless told superbly and while you had good visuals on screen, the cinematography needed to be stronger. Song choice would have helped as well, something that REALLY matched what was going on in your head and on screen.
I liked the color grading and some of the artistic choices you made, but storywise just needed a little bit more to present better.
My take on the color grade: I really like the duotone with the blue cast, but the reds just really distracted me. If you could make it all blue and white, I think that would be interesting.
This might work better as a slightly shorter silent film. Some of the stuff in the kitchen and with the letter just didnt seem to add to it. I still enjoyed it though, and I thought the actors did a great job.
Hey AJ. I liked the work you did on this film and was intrigued by some of the choices you made. The color grading was an interesting choice and I liked it some most of the shots, i.e. when she was first in the bathroom. The red lights did throw me a little but I have to commend you on the boldness to do so.
The actors did a good job and did very well at expressing their emotions without seeming too affected which is a risk you run making a silent film. I liked your cinematography and felt that it was a sweet and simple (in a good way) piece. Nice job man.