The 'One thing I've learned' Thread.....

I learned that lighting the inside of a car nicely is rather difficult when it's a small sports coupe.

I'll have to experiment with alternate means later, didn't really have time while shooting because I started so late.
 
I learned that good actors are hard to find and that I need to learn how to help actors deliver more natural performances.
 
I also learned that crappy fake teeth are just crappy! The actor cant deliver a line wearing them....but you get the funniest blooper ....
 
I learned that this is where you get everything to make movies:

TargetLogo.gif


Every set piece, set dressing, wardobe item, and craft services came from Target. Oh yeah, and the overpriced miniDV tape stock!
 
hey i got stuff from Target too....

Ive learned that next time I should probably start my short as soon as the contest is announced and definately be compressed and ready to upload WAAAAY before the deadline.
 
I learned that I should plan my shots and lighting beforehand. I had a basic idea of what I wanted to do, but I really didn't put enough work into it, and it caused me some problems in post.
 
I learned that this forum is a great resource for communication but when it comes to moving big numbers of large files around (specifically the uploading process) it is at or beyond the limits of its capabilities in many areas.

I would really vote for a self host option for a future contest.
 
True, but it is still a single server and more importantly a very small number of individuals that are administrating the task. It would seem to me that the human resources are as much the bottleneck in this as any bandwidth / hosting ones.

The self host idea would off load a lot of problems by spreading the load of bandwidth and workload.

Just my own opinion based upon our experiences in this contest.
 
Well. Both fests I've entered my files have been A-ok from the get go, and Jarred always makes it work. I think having done three previous fests, the system keeps getting better and better :)
 
khmuse said:
I learned that this forum is a great resource for communication but when it comes to moving big numbers of large files around (specifically the uploading process) it is at or beyond the limits of its capabilities in many areas.

I would really vote for a self host option for a future contest.

I'm sure busy Jarred is doing everything in his power to get the files moving.
 
Hey Kholi, Is Candy Gram in the fest? Sorry to ask, but as I was preparing a list of all of the entries, I didn't see yours.

What's up? Can I throw that on my list?
 
conrad_johnson said:
How to spell Handsome.:)
CLASSIC! LOL! :grin: (yeah, there is an inside joke there!)

snodart said:
The second most import thing that I learned is that I need to watch betrayed.
:kiss:
Here, here! :)

Weston said:
Ive learned that next time I should probably start my short as soon as the contest is announced and definately be compressed and ready to upload WAAAAY before the deadline.
Very true! Very true, indeed!
 
TheatreGuy said:
Hey Kholi, Is Candy Gram in the fest? Sorry to ask, but as I was preparing a list of all of the entries, I didn't see yours.

What's up? Can I throw that on my list?

Nooo. It's not going to be in. I tend to get cut short on productions, Candy Gram fell victim as well.

one day.
 
(1) One thing we learned ..Do not do animation at the last moment ..13hrs for a 5 sec clip
(2) Lots of aspirin
(3) do not try and change a clip at load up time . problems will arise .
(4) and the last one , discovering your Brother has a hidden talent . animation /music/writer/director and more ..amazing!!!!
Ian
 
Back
Top