The m2 ruined my last shoot

Andii

Active member
I have produced a few car garage prom's as many of you have seen. But this latest one has caused me a right head ache. Using a 28mm lens (f2.8) wide open and the xlh1 wide open, resulted in not enough light. Now what options did I have? well not many.

The show room was colourful but not that well lit, I shot at 25f to try and squeeze in a little extra exposure over 50i. I couldnt light the entire showroom, no budget for that, and i had to use the wide becasue the cars were close together i could hardly move.

The footage came out dark and underexposed, (very) I have had to boost the footage so much and push up the saturation but even now it looks drab and awful. I just have to hope the client wont say "Am not paying for that' Its another cheap job, but i need the work.

Have a look, I am beginning to think the m2 is only suitable for out doors!!

:crybaby:

oO Video Here Oo
 
when shooting without the neccesary grip package leave the m2 home. nature of the beast.
 
Thanks guys, I hear ya TimurCivan, but with stock lens its like filming in a caravan with a pair of binoculars!! :)
 
I have to agree with exe. It's not as bad as your post implies. I mean it is underexposed and the M2 is a light hog but I've seen far worse as far as production and you can still see the cars clearly. I would be more worried about the edge softness and vignetting from what I can tell
 
From the sounds of it it's unfair to say the M2 'ruined' your shoot.
If anything 'ruined' it, it was the lack of proper lighting.
The M2 sounds like it performed as it always has - unless I'm misunderstanding something.

That said - I have to agree with everyone else, I checked out the video and its nowhere near as bad as it sounded. I think that footage is definitely usable. I wouldn't worry too much about the client saying they aren't paying for it.
 
1st of all, nice work. I think it's very professional quality.
2nd, in your color correction did you have any luck with lifting the gamma?
3rd, there are faster wide angles lenses you can use. It may be time to invest in a PL mount.
 
I have produced a few car garage prom's as many of you have seen. But this latest one has caused me a right head ache. Using a 28mm lens (f2.8) wide open and the xlh1 wide open, resulted in not enough light. Now what options did I have? well not many.

The show room was colourful but not that well lit, I shot at 25f to try and squeeze in a little extra exposure over 50i. I couldnt light the entire showroom, no budget for that, and i had to use the wide becasue the cars were close together i could hardly move.

The footage came out dark and underexposed, (very) I have had to boost the footage so much and push up the saturation but even now it looks drab and awful. I just have to hope the client wont say "Am not paying for that' Its another cheap job, but i need the work.

Have a look, I am beginning to think the m2 is only suitable for out doors!!

:crybaby:

oO Video Here Oo


Just watched it. I wouldn't worry we're all trained eyes here (well the best we can right) and sounds like everyone agrees it is perfectly acceptable. The highlights on the cars make em pop pretty good and the color still looks nice after the post work. I think most of all your camera moves made this a real high quality peice...good work.
 
Looks great to me, your hammering yourself for no reason. What sucked was Nigel, he put me to sleep, he should hire someone to do the narrative.
 
I don't see any issue with the footage. Your title is very deceptive...I thought your M2 exploded and killed your entire crew. I think you don't have anything to worry about.
 
i also think that the footage looks very nice. oO
maybe it looks bad when it is showed on the big screen but in this web size version it looks perfectly fine.
 
looks nice to me bud. sharp and clean. Only things that stood out to me was the person shadows you see in your shot after Mark Lewis title. you can see someone standing near you to your left and moves. You see this reflection on the car door. overal nice and i would think your client would be pleased with final product..
 
I'm a little late to the game but nice work. I think you're being your own harshest critic. I wouldn't sweat the client not paying, you worked with the light (and budget) you had. Looks good.
 
Thanks a lot guys. I guess you always strive for more, and when the budget affects the project it becomes frustrating, I knew what i wanted to achieve and this was not it. Again thanks for all the encouragement, I will post my next garage soon :)

As a soletrader its difficult as I need a hand on these jobs, but when you have to drive for 4 hours each way, and the budget does not cover lighting and only 1 days editing, what can you do?

Andy.
 
Back
Top