The Last Hours - A Turning Leaf Production

nice lighting schemes, framing, and storyline.

wasn't crazy about all the flashbacks at the top. i know it's only a 6 min short, and you had to pack it all in though. also thought maybe a different look/color scheme for flashbacks might have been effective..(??)

the acting was weak to me which brought it down. lead was fine, just not intrigued by the other two men at all.

all in all, i enjoyed the film...pacing was good...music and editing kept it moving, but i had a hard time overlooking the acting especially.
 
This was technically very well done. I thought the young guy played his part well. I wont blame the other two actors entirely for not bringing it together quite so well. Much of what they said was difficult dialogue that was a bit nosey.

Very nicely shot.
 
Yeah Vermont Film!!!!

I am Literally 25 steps from the Sadie Katz Diner, on Church st.

And Robert Ready is my BOY! I've used him in a ton of local ads around town.
He's always available, always willing to lend a hand. Great guy.

I actually walked by while you were shooting this a while back, and waved to Robert.
We were carrying laundry and groceries.

Good stuff guys! Keep it up!

(check out Lost at Sea and Againt to Return and support the VT scene.)
 
Good film with very little attention on it so far. Damn dude, get out there and mingle, let us know you exist. I do recall seeing your banner, but it was such a late entry you should add something more eye catching.

Technically, this was a very strong piece. Nice compostions, great lighting, good acting for the most part. I do agree with the others about the older gentlemen and that their dialog felt a little stilited. Action sequences were jarring and it was because they felt staged.

You would have had a lot more effect if he was the lethal killer, the silent death in the night a little more efficiently. For him to turn the guard around to punch him... no.. a knife in a vital organ would have taken the guard down quickly and silently.. or even pull him into the shadows instead of killing him in plain sight of the house. The Lead at that point shows no awareness of his surroundings and the main thing he shoudl be aware of is someone might be watching.

Same thing with the guard inside. He should have been a little... hell, a LOT more relaxed. Easy gig, right?

All of those characters tell us so much about the entire world we're viewing, and their actions draw us in to thinking that they are indeed real people. Even if we know they;re going to die in 2 seconds... those actions tell us what a surprise it really IS.

The Diner scene with the Traitor leaving certainly signalled his intentions more so to the Lead than to us and this threw me out a little. A little more human behaviour from the Traiotr would have helped to sell his mannersims and character even further. He migh thave been able to pull off the performance.

All in all a nice film, just a few details that pulled it down (I won't even mention the plastic in the elevator). It certainly looked nice and would have very well been a contender if those small flaws were fixed... and more people knew about you.

Not too late to get the word out, so get out there and get let them know who the hell you are! This is a film worth watching.
 
This was really, really well photographed. The acting let me down a little bit, as did the fight scenes, but you created a great mood and the lead actor did quite well. Nice work.
 
This was one of the first films I watched. Sorry for late post.

I thought this was very well shot and the framing was excellent. The actors did well enough to keep me in the story. The lead I thought was very good actually. The fight scenes were decent as said before, but could have been a little more realistic. (but this is also coming from a guy who shot a film about a kid that makes people kill themselves)

Also the plastic thing kind of bothers me, but it bothers me hollywood as well. If I go into a room or elevator or anywhere else that has plastic all over the floor and I am the only one there, you can bet your ass i'm runnin, really effing fast.

Overall I enjoyed the piece and really want to see what you come up with next fest.

I wish I could light like that. of my many weaknesses, Lighting is by far the weakest.
 
There were some cool parts in this. Most notably the shots & lighting, specifically in the office, and even more so in the diner. The interior room/house shots didn't impress me as much, but those were likely harder to work with, and set dressing (anything interesting on screen) was lacking there.

While audio across the board seemed fine, it was horrifically jacked up on the guy's dialogue that was sitting at the desk. Not sure what happened, but almost sounded like he had swallowed the LAV mic, or something.

Acting was good in majority of it, though there were a few parts that felt soap opera'ish, or just a little pushed.

The action sequences seemed more like blocking rehearsals ... in the future, I'd mix those up with close ups, look at cranking the speed JUST a bit in post, as well as shooting with a higher shutter speed. I bet it would have made the same exact movements look 200% better, and more visceral/brutal.

Liked the twist at the end. :thumbsup:
 
Very well shot and lit. Acting was good for the most part although I felt like the traitor overdid it at times. There was a lot of production value here and it was edited well. You have a knack for the action drama. Good job!
 
Nicely shot, good framing and lighting. Acting was good for the lead but like its been said the "traitor" wasn't doing it for me he seemed very robotic or overdid it.

I had no problems with the flashbacks, they worked for me, just not the way they were edited in with the flashes and placement.

Work on your fight choreography or position the camera in a better place/use better sfx to make it appear more realistic. If they are being stealthy though their best option is probably not a punch too.

Overall good job. The drama's there just need to work on a few other things to bring it up a notch.
 
As the final hours of the festival run down I'd just like to thank everybody for their constructive feedback about our little film. We were really just glad that people were willing to sit down and watch it to begin with. The fact that some of you actually enjoyed it and were kind enough to comment about it was just an added bonus for us.

This was our first time working together as a group and first time being in a dvx festival. We haven't been as social on this network as we should have been and that was our fault, but it was a lot of fun being part of this festival. I promise you haven't seen the last of us and next time we're really going to try and up our game!

Good luck to everybody, there's really some talented filmmakers out there who should be very proud!
 
nice job in tackling what more looks like a full length feature in 6 whole minutes. this could not have been easy to edit.

that said, liked the lead a lot, he was smooth. his partner was too obvious for someone who is sinister enough to be a double agent. i'd rather have seen a confrontation between the partners in the end instead of the film ending on a phone call. also, agree with puck, the victims went down too quietly. also wished you didn't use a flashback, just show the hit and then the two meeting at a diner.

this looks like a lot of work went into it, liked the photography and the lighting and the overall imagination.

congrats!
 
You know my thoughts on this one already, but I just wanted to say congrats on a very fine first entry! And good luck in the festival.
 
Back
Top