The 5D Mark IV thread

From what I've read there actually is the 4GB limit like 1D C... You have to transcode 4GB clips into single clip. That disqualifies it for me.

I'm not sure why you asked the question if you weren't going to believe the answer. I own the camera and it produces files larger than 4GB.
 
For those interested, I have some sample clips to take a look at. I was at the Renaissance fair the other weekend and shot a few flavors (4K @ 29.97, 4K @ 23.976, 1080 @ 60, 1080 @ 23.976, and 720 @ 120) that I thought I would share with you guys. I had to recompress the footage to h.264 so you won't get a sense of the actual codec but you can still get a sense of the overall feel, color, sharpness, etc. The 4K footage is compressed at 100mbps and the 1080p at 25mbps. You will see the crop factor between the 4K and 1080P. Everything shot with the Sigma 50mm Art.

www.eliecreative.com/transfer_2/5D%20IV%20Samples/5D%20IV%20Samples.zip

The 4K footage scrubbed better than the 1080P footage on my timeline. It looks really nice. however, it requires fast cards for continuous shooting. The 1080P looks like 5D III footage (but with the ability to shoot 60P, better low light capabilities, and great autofocus) and the 720P is not for professional use. These are not scientific tests...I shot handheld with the standard profile and default sharpness settings.
 
I am looking at this as a B-Cam, for those that have been using this camera for a couple of weeks how is the color science compared to the MK3 and C100? i have seen some reviews online that said the color science for both stills and video is not the same as the older models.
 
I haven't really played around enough yet to really know. I still need to load flaat 10 which is my color profile of choice on Canon DSLRs. That being said, I actually preffered the color from the 5D II over the 5D III. I think it was more of a dynamic range thing v.s. "color science" I have a feeling the color is very similar between all Canon DSLRs
 
I'm not sure why you asked the question if you weren't going to believe the answer. I own the camera and it produces files larger than 4GB.

Haha thank you! I did not realize you owned it, I asked this question to another person who has one and they claimed they got the broken up clips. Weird!
 
I haven't really played around enough yet to really know. I still need to load flaat 10 which is my color profile of choice on Canon DSLRs. That being said, I actually preffered the color from the 5D II over the 5D III. I think it was more of a dynamic range thing v.s. "color science" I have a feeling the color is very similar between all Canon DSLRs

So you are happy with what you are getting so far on both stills and video? If I could get 4K out of this thing I would be super sold, I just wanna make sure I am at least getting the Canon "look" if I decide on this over another B-Cam
 
I too own the camera (more for stills). It has more DR than all the previous 5d's. The 4K is beautiful though. Load up Eoshd's canon log profile on the camera and it's one hell of a beast. I'm liking what I see this far.
 
Couple of questions: It seems the 4k is only shot in the DCI mode and not 16:9. Is there a way to shoot 4k Ultra HD with a 16:9 frame?

Also, how is the 1080p image? Egg mentioned in a few posts above that it is like the MKIII which would be a negative! Thanks for your input.
 
You would have to crop the dci 4K. Not a big deal. Can't say much on the 1080. Only looked at it briefly. Felt like the mk3 though.
The 4k, dual pixel AF, and increased DR is a plus. But it's still more of a stills camera than a cinema camera.
 
Haha thank you! I did not realize you owned it, I asked this question to another person who has one and they claimed they got the broken up clips. Weird!

No worries. I believe the person you mentioned might be shooting with a CF card or an SD/SDHC card. Both of which can only be formatted to fat32 within the camera. SDXC will be formatted to ExFat. There is a also a 30min limit on the camera which has to do with tax laws rather than technical limitations.
 
So you are happy with what you are getting so far on both stills and video? If I could get 4K out of this thing I would be super sold, I just wanna make sure I am at least getting the Canon "look" if I decide on this over another B-Cam

I believe this to be a great 4K B cam as long as you don't need log and you don't mind the crop factor. That being said, I wouldn't buy it just for a video B cam unless you like it for stills also. If SLR stills aren't your priority and 4k isn't your priority but rather want a beautiful 1080P image, I would wait to see what the EOS M5 produces with it's in camera stabilization and fairly good low light capabilities. It's also less than a third of the price of the 5D IV.
 
I too own the camera (more for stills). It has more DR than all the previous 5d's. The 4K is beautiful though. Load up Eoshd's canon log profile on the camera and it's one hell of a beast. I'm liking what I see this far.


Heavy praise, I just wish I could get 4K out of the darn thing. I really need it for quick 1080 easy uploadable turnarounds. I am also interested in it for its stills
 
I believe this to be a great 4K B cam as long as you don't need log and you don't mind the crop factor. That being said, I wouldn't buy it just for a video B cam unless you like it for stills also. If SLR stills aren't your priority and 4k isn't your priority but rather want a beautiful 1080P image, I would wait to see what the EOS M5 produces with it's in camera stabilization and fairly good low light capabilities. It's also less than a third of the price of the 5D IV.


I want the 4K and the stills, also it shoots MOV right?
 
A little off-topic, but I was wondering what some of you thought about data rates.

The 24p in the 1DX Mark II gets 500 Mbps and 60p gets 800 Mbps. I was reviewing some footage from the 1DX Mark II and I am convinced that 24p looks better.

Is 800 Mbps enough for 60P? Is it an apples to apples calculation where it really should be at least 1200 Mbps? Would there be a noticeable difference with the MJPEG?
 
Both the 5d iv and 1dx ii use mjpeg and very similiar bitrates. For the same quality 60p bitrate should be 2.5x bigger than 24p. So yes, there would be a difference in quality if its only 300mbps more.
 
Back
Top