The 5D Mark IV thread

thanks and what about the 4GB spanning? A new clip every 45ish seconds sounds like a total dealbreaker...
not having the choice of 4Gb per file is is more of a deal breaker. Failure of card or battery during will make you lose 30minutes instead of 62 sec.
You only need to drag all the files to the timeline if you want one clip in your software. single large size file are more risky to handle.
 
Yes, but my guess is that's pretty much the same thing: picture profiles created using Canon's Profile Editor.

They way they "market" these profiles (and charge money for them) might lead a buyer to think they are getting what Canon is withholding: Canon Log. Most people have not shot with the 1Dc and might not realise that 'Canon Log' isn't just a picture profile like 'Standard' or 'Neutral'.

But I have a feeling these "C Log emulations" are just that: lifted blacks, desaturation and a custom curve.

Technicolor Cinestyle is modelled on Cineon and is available for free. It also has support in various film emulation packages like Film Convert as a starting point.

Hi Andree,

Those "profiles" are sure not getting 100% the benefit of the real C-log, the flat profile do give a slight improvement to the DR. Also the one from James do have a whole bunch of luts that come with the packet is a good deal for some beginners. Also because when the "real" C-log is activated the Focus and exposure modes all turn to manual, it will be not be the best option for all user. I have try the EOSHD ones, I am less satisfy with them comparing to the one from James.
 
I recently needed to pick up another camera on very short notice. I debated a lot...and did not really want to sink more that $1200 into one. Was really gonna go for the a6300....but made a move on the 80D simply because its robust. I just can't be on a shoot wondering if my camera is gonna crap out on me.
...

Thanks. Do the DELUTS have one with conversion to plain Rec709?
 
Those "profiles" are sure not getting 100% the benefit of the real C-log, the flat profile do give a slight improvement to the DR.

Using Canon's Picture Profile editor, there is no way to extend the dynamic range of the camera compared to Canon's normal profiles.

You can however, decompress the highlights and shadows to distribute the light more evenly, by giving up tonality in the mid tones. This is what all Log profiles do. But then you run the risk of flattening out the important midtowns too far and you end up with weak skin tones and texture—and this is why most log profiles are designed for 10bit and up.

The original Canon Log was pretty unique at the time (as far as I know) in that it was designed with 8bit in mind (based on the then 'new' S35 sensor that was introduced with the original C300).

Anyway, this 'flatness' gives the impression of more DR, but there is nothing in the PP editor that allows you to effectively change the DR. And sure, some of the default profiles with their default contrast curves applied compress shadows and highlights to the point of eliminating stops that are actually there.
 
It's not about extending DR. It's about having an image you can guide into a grade rather than a standard baked profile. And for a camera with no LOG , it's better than having nothing.
 
It's not about extending DR.

That didn't come from me (and like I wrote: it's not possible with custom curves from the PP editor). I totally understand the need/want for a flat profile—I've had rather long discussions with various Canon people trying to get them to release it for the 1Dx mkII. Even as a paid upgrade, but then I want similar implementation like in the 1Dc, but with Canon Log3 and DPAF maintained.
 
I would love a 4K ProRes shooting 1DC II with the features of the C300 Mark II plus 4K/60p. Will never see that tho.
 
not having the choice of 4Gb per file is is more of a deal breaker. Failure of card or battery during will make you lose 30minutes instead of 62 sec.
You only need to drag all the files to the timeline if you want one clip in your software. single large size file are more risky to handle.

1. Most professional cameras don't split files up.

2. Just because the battery dies doesn't mean the file being written will be lost. I have to test but from what I remeber of the Mark II and III you don't loose the clip you were recording.

3. If the card fails it won't matter whether it was 1 large clip or 20 smaller clips. I've never seen a card fail in a manner that would be a concern like this anyway.

4. Most importantly, you can record 4GB clips on the 5D Mark IV. Simply use a card formated to Fat32, use an SD Card that isn't an SDXC, or use any CF card.
 
I loaded the EOSHD log profile onto my 6D. Blacks are clipped at about 12 IRE, and whites are clipped at about 95 IRE. Don't know what's going on, but it's possible it's just the normal black and white points from neutral or whatever moved up and down a bit.
 
I don't know and I don't care. It's a flat profile made in picture editor. Andrew (eoshd) owns a 1dc so I'm assuming he did his best to match colors and tone to the closest possibility. So for a camera that has no log, it works. Is it perfect? Not sure. But I've shot with canon log on many camera. I loaded it, seems to work well and I move on. I bought the camera 90% for stills. The log emulator cost me $9. So what? I don't have time in a day to sit around shooting color charts and what not.
You are a decent guy, dusty, nice to see you to praise Andrew's work.
I concur. Nice to read you Christopher, alive and kicking wherever you go, go fair (E :-)
 
1. Most professional cameras don't split files up.

2. Just because the battery dies doesn't mean the file being written will be lost. I have to test but from what I remeber of the Mark II and III you don't loose the clip you were recording.

3. If the card fails it won't matter whether it was 1 large clip or 20 smaller clips. I've never seen a card fail in a manner that would be a concern like this anyway.

4. Most importantly, you can record 4GB clips on the 5D Mark IV. Simply use a card formated to Fat32, use an SD Card that isn't an SDXC, or use any CF card.

haha Just come back after a busy work month, just want to tell share with everyone as a reminder what had happened on me in relation to your comment

1) I have used the 1DC since 2013, and it split files and I am very happy with it.

2) The battery dies or the camera dies or the card have a hick up, there is a high chance that the last file will become corrupted, the larger the file size the larger chance. this had happened to me for a few time in the last few years. The most recent one was on my 1DX2. This is one I lost a 20min footage.

3) Since the very high recording speed and large data, any minor hick-up on the card will lead to problem which corrupt the last writing file( but not total failure of the card). It happen very frequently on sandisk 256GB CF

4) I am formatting the card to fast32 since that occurrence.
 
Back
Top