Tarantino's and Rodriguez's "Grindhouse"

John_Hudson said:
Damn you Blaine ! The k Billys are awesome !
I'm sure they were fine movies...they just started the genre slide that QT has fallen into. He hasn't given me that witty repartee that I had grown to love since Jackie Brown. Then again, it could be that I'm just not a comic book fan (graphic novel?) and that's the feel I got from KB. You have to understand that the ONLY comic book movies that I've liked are: Unbreakable and Batman Begins...period. But, hey, that's just me. Give me more movies like RD, PF & JB and I'll be a happy camper...what about True Romance?
 
Last edited:
Blaine said:
I'm sure they were fine movies...they just started the genre slide that QT has fallen into. He hasn't given me that witty repartee that I had grown to love since Jackie Brown. Then again, it could be that I'm just not a comic book fan (graphic novel?) and that's the feel I got from KB. You have to understand that the ONLY comic book movies that I've liked are: Unbreakable and Batman Begins...period. But, hey, that's just me. Give me more movies like RD, PF & JB and I'll be a happy camper...what about True Romance?

I agree with you Blaine. He's clearly a major talent, but Kill Bill felt just like a really boring exercise to me, and kind of a backward slide. I mean, he should do whatever he wants, but I think he's such a talented and skilled filmmaker, that I want to see him keep advancing...
 
Kholi said:
John_Hudson said:
???

Raimi isnt all that /quote]

What's that got to do with tea in china?

You mentioned it was a blatant rip-off and I asked ??? Por Que ???

And then I summarized; what's to rip off with Raimi ? He's an average director; competent, but nothing that shows a true autuer
 
John_Hudson said:
Kholi said:
You mentioned it was a blatant rip-off and I asked ??? Por Que ???

And then I summarized; what's to rip off with Raimi ? He's an average director; competent, but nothing that shows a true autuer
It has nothing to do with him being average, above average, or anything else. What kind of debate is that? It doesn't matter what or who he is, my point is that it's too similar and a pretty bad similarity (from the trailer, who knows how it'll play in the movie.)

Ash - Lost hand, acquired chainsaw from hand.

Rodriguez' chic - Lost leg, acquired maching gun for leg.

What does that comparison have to do with anyone being a director as opposed to content, plot, or story? Now, that's not to say that there haven't been stories where people lost a limb and acquired a weapon. Pirates are known to trade hands for hooks, and all. Point was, it immediately struck me as a "loner" from Raimi's cult classic. Again, how that plays on screen may be totally different.
 
Kholi said:
John_Hudson said:
It has nothing to do with him being average, above average, or anything else. What kind of debate is that? It doesn't matter what or who he is, my point is that it's too similar and a pretty bad similarity (from the trailer, who knows how it'll play in the movie.)

Ash - Lost hand, acquired chainsaw from hand.

Rodriguez' chic - Lost leg, acquired maching gun for leg.

What does that comparison have to do with anyone being a director as opposed to content, plot, or story? Now, that's not to say that there haven't been stories where people lost a limb and acquired a weapon. Pirates are known to trade hands for hooks, and all. Point was, it immediately struck me as a "loner" from Raimi's cult classic. Again, how that plays on screen may be totally different.

Ok.

:violin:
 
I don't think it is a blatant rip-off. The idea of weapons for body parts is not something unique to Raimi. I remember reading an interview with Romero after he made Dawn of the Dead and was talking about how he had an idea to cut off infected body parts and attach a weapon in its place. Which far outdates Raimi's chainsaw hand.

Originality is great, execution is more important.

On a personal note, I dislike Raimi or Roderiguez equally, so no bias from me.
 
jpeck said:
I don't think it is a blatant rip-off. The idea of weapons for body parts is not something unique to Raimi. I remember reading an interview with Romero after he made Dawn of the Dead and was talking about how he had an idea to cut off infected body parts and attach a weapon in its place. Which far outdates Raimi's chainsaw hand.

Originality is great, execution is more important.

On a personal note, I dislike Raimi or Roderiguez equally, so no bias from me.

Already covered that.
 
jpeck said:
I don't think it is a blatant rip-off. The idea of weapons for body parts is not something unique to Raimi. I remember reading an interview with Romero after he made Dawn of the Dead and was talking about how he had an idea to cut off infected body parts and attach a weapon in its place. Which far outdates Raimi's chainsaw hand.

Originality is great, execution is more important.

On a personal note, I dislike Raimi or Roderiguez equally, so no bias from me.

Bingo.
 
not really some people can only sit for so long. average people will be like is it over yet i mean its almost five hours long plus if anything tarintino would make more money due to his name and hes establish as a master of cinema (yeah he takes from people so what) when RR is a guy who got toys....
 
Back
Top