Take - a porchwax film

hey all... i just put up a few grabs on page one. (post#3)

i realized i've neglected to post some frames, and i know how much i enjoy seeing all the others - so here you go.

..............good luck to all.............. :)
 
Yeah, I second what filthrich just said. Great acting. Pacing was a tad slow, but you can't really rush a theme like that. Good job
 
This film is so sad. The pace is perfect and the actor is great. Though I wish I know more about him and how he lost the boy from the picture who I'm assuming his son? a well made film!
 
Man that actor was spot on. Hell he made me sad. Sad ending, but perfect.

Yeah, I second what filthrich just said. Great acting. Pacing was a tad slow, but you can't really rush a theme like that. Good job

This film is so sad. The pace is perfect and the actor is great. Though I wish I know more about him and how he lost the boy from the picture who I'm assuming his son? a well made film!

thank you all; i hope you enjoyed the film. i will pass along the kind words to the actor. he's actually a musician, and you can check out his music at www.myspace.com/johncobaltmusic - he has a song called "take" that was a big influence for the film. give it a listen, it's a nice musical companion to the movie.
 
hey preston, i really enjoyed the melancholy rhythms of this one. event those little magical moments with the dog added another great layer. nice to see david jerome involved in another project. i was a fan of "ajar".
 
Hey preston.

First off, nice work! The piece moved along with this rift of melancholy and longing for lost time, companionship, and happiness. I felt that the film was very languid in the best way, although I do feel that the scene in which he waits/contemplates began to grow a little repetitive with his actions. I also thought the dog added an extra element of dread and the end reminded me of a certain scene in Trainspotting.

The music seemed to work FOR the piece and not against it like music can sometimes. I'm usually apprehensive about films that spend any time in cemeteries (or at least those that over-do it) but yours didn't because you kept it simple and the actor really kept his performance consistent. I thought he did a fine job handling the voice over as well.

It was simple and heart breaking, which is, I'm willing to bet, what you were going for. My only "complaints" would be that one scene I mentioned being just a hair repetitive, and maybe some of the excessive blow-outs in the cinematography, but that wasn't distracting, so eh...haha, I'm having trouble finding anything to really critique.

Anyway, very nice work! :beer:

P.S. The dog was way cute.
 
melancholy rhythms...

thanks, that's what this piece is about. i am interested in your opinion as to what didn't work for you - any constructive criticism would be much appreciated.

david's involvement was helpful in that he pushed me to finish the project. also, a fresh set of eyes/ears helped a lot when i was getting sick of staring at the computer screen for too long.... although he almost derailed the film when he suggested we do the whole thing from the dog's perspective, including the voice-over. haha..
 
Hey preston.

First off, nice work! The piece moved along with this rift of melancholy and longing for lost time, companionship, and happiness. I felt that the film was very languid in the best way, although I do feel that the scene in which he waits/contemplates began to grow a little repetitive with his actions. I also thought the dog added an extra element of dread and the end reminded me of a certain scene in Trainspotting.

The music seemed to work FOR the piece and not against it like music can sometimes. I'm usually apprehensive about films that spend any time in cemeteries (or at least those that over-do it) but yours didn't because you kept it simple and the actor really kept his performance consistent. I thought he did a fine job handling the voice over as well.

It was simple and heart breaking, which is, I'm willing to bet, what you were going for. My only "complaints" would be that one scene I mentioned being just a hair repetitive, and maybe some of the excessive blow-outs in the cinematography, but that wasn't distracting, so eh...haha, I'm having trouble finding anything to really critique.

Anyway, very nice work! :beer:

P.S. The dog was way cute.

wow, thanks for the review. it's a good feeling to know people are enjoying the film. i learned a lot while making this, so to me it is a success. i'm glad i'm not the only one who feels that way... thanks again.
 
l_a159fa87a7544687b7d7cc5ab18827fa.jpg


little pedro :)
 
Hey Preston, nice melancholic mood to this one. Everything seemed in sync here.


Really enjoyed the bathroom scene. Great 'geeky-awkwardness' to your character.

The dog was a nice touch, kinda like 'A Boy and His Dog' gives up in the end.

Nice film.

alex
 
You did an awesome job establishing the mood and tone. I like a slow melancholy pace, but I think this might be a tad too slow.

Still, this was sad and effective. I wish you the best of luck in the fest with it.
 
thanks, Chris. i appreciate your feedback, and i'm glad you liked it. i will experiment with the pacing and see what my options are.
 
Preston, you did a pretty good job setting the tone of your film. Music worked well with the acting. I thought the character was believable BUT a person suffering that kind of depression probably wouldn't be such an immaculate house keeper. To me it's just a touch that felt out of place.

Loved the dog, too.
 
Not the biggest fan of your color/lighting choices and the film is kind of slow.

Great set up of tone and was really complimented by the music. The ending is depressing, in a good way... if that makes sense. Your actor is spot on and amazingly consistent, really sets the mood and its just heartbreaking to watch him.
I thought the character was believable BUT a person suffering that kind of depression probably wouldn't be such an immaculate house keeper. To me it's just a touch that felt out of place.
I can see Blaine's point of view but also maybe thats just the way this character deals with it, he's extremely melancholy and lackluster about everything else but why not be a little OCD about appearance it could be believable... maybe?

Thank god he said "dogs" because I was thinking ... that dog is completely different. Yet adorable at the same time.
 
hey guys, thanks for watching and commenting.

one quick word about the clean house/washing dishes - i wanted it to look like he was preparing the place, so whoever eventually found him (like his mom or sister...) wouldn't have to clean up his mess. it's for this reason he uses the pills instead of the gun - less messy.

thanks again for watching :)
 
You really set the mood with the music and color choices. I agree with others, a tad slow moving, but it did fit story. Very depressing. (good job..)
 
Back
Top