Sunny Day! 24P Low light and Handheld Test

Solomon Chase

Well-known member
Finally got around to this. Not as much movie magic as last time because I'm busy with some paying projects.

Someone on forum asked me to shoot a lowlight test and a handheld test with 1/48 Shutter, 24P
I actually shot 2 separate tests. Both handheld, second WMV is low light test.

First Test "Sunny Day"
http://solomonchase.com/HV20/handheld.wmv EDIT: 1st CLIP UPDATED: Fixed interlace, added more panning shots

Second Test "Concert"
http://solomonchase.com/HV20/concert.wmv (in the last band shot the camera is sitting on table)
 
Last edited:
This footage it's the second best I've seen from the HV20! It comes only after your other footage "Rain" :D
This looks awesome. Did you do some color correction?
On the street scenes outside the concert there was grain but to my amazement it looked somewhat like film grain.
Another thing that surprised me was that the infamous "wobble" was nowhere to be found in all this hand held footage...Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in!
 
As always, solomon is showing us how great hv20 is! Lovley footage and no sign of the "wobble" thing. Got to buy my hv20 soon!
 
Very impressive.

I have been looking for a camera to take with me when I move to Spain. I want to document the trip and make a couple of shorts. (I even had a thread devoted to the question somewhere.)

I had doubts about the HV20 but the work you and a couple of other have posted have blown me away. I am ordering one tomorrow (payday).

I have also seen some truly evil footage from this camera how difficult is it to achieve the quality you are getting? And do you use any tricks like forcing the 1/48th shutter or do you rely on the camera to get it right.

The low light stuff is particularly interesting. Just how do you control.

Keep up the good work.
 
well, i'm officially sold on this camera now. :)

you use vegas 7, right? what is your rendering/workflow process?


also, do you use NEO HDV or NEO HD?
 
Last edited:
Looking beautiful Solomon! But I think the reason we don't see any wobble is because you mostly stood still with the camera. I understand you are a busy man but if you have the time, can you please do a little walking handheld test also?
 
Norbert, all videos are hand held. The street scene outside the concert has as much movement as the video you posted that displayed the wobble. It's becoming harder to pin point the wobble issue.
 
Yes, I know they are handheld and they look better than what I got from my camera, but all shots in "handheld.wmv" are stationary or at least they look very stationary. I could see some walking in "concert.wmv" and that didn't look bad, so if it's possible I still want to see some walking shots in daylight. That's when the problem was most apparent for me. If Solomon's camera has this wobble issue, it should be apparent in a handheld walking shot. If it isn't, then I can rule out my theory that all HV20s suffer from the wobble and buy myself another HV20 hoping for a wobble free unit.
 
Last edited:
First I'd like to say that it has been very interesting following all the posts regarding the HV20. Also thanks for sharing footage. Just one question about the "Sunny Day", When the actor moves the stick (more exactly when he points the stick towards the camera with a fast movement) there seems to be interlaced lines. There are some other interlaced areas where fast movement occurs also that can be viewed when you freeze frame.

I'm just wondering if maybe I'm missing something? Is the footage really 24P? From what I have read, shooting in interlaced reduced the wobbliness a lot. The lowlight example however doesn't seem to have the interlaced screen caps and no wobbliness.

Maybe it could have to do with that the camera records 24P over the 1080i protcol?

Rob
 
Last edited:
[rob] said:
First I'd like to say that it has been very interesting following all the posts regarding the HV20. Also thanks for sharing footage. Just one question about the "Sunny Day", When the actor moves the stick (more exactly when he points the stick towards the camera with a fast movement) there seems to be interlaced lines. There are some other interlaced areas where fast movement occurs also that can be viewed when you freeze frame.

I'm just wondering if maybe I'm missing something? Is the footage really 24P? From what I have read, shooting in interlaced reduced the wobbliness a lot. The lowlight example however doesn't seem to have the interlaced screen caps and no wobbliness.

Again thanks for sharing video clips.

Rob

I notice the interlaced lines too...
 
Norbert said:
Yes, I know they are handheld and they look better than what I got from my camera, but all shots in "handheld.wmv" are stationary or at least they look very stationary. I could see some walking in "concert.wmv" and that didn't look bad, so if it's possible I still want to see some walking shots in daylight. That's when the problem was most apparent for me. If Solomon's camera has this wobble issue, it should be apparent in a handheld walking shot. If it isn't, then I can rule out my theory that all HV20s suffer from the wobble and buy myself another HV20 hoping for a wobble free unit.

I think I can speak for all when I say I hope your theory is wrong, I hope you buy another HV20 and I hope you never have to worry about the wobble again :thumbup:
But would this maybe imply that the issue only happens to a few units and not all?
Man, we DO need a Canon rep around here.
 
Norbert said:
Yes, I know they are handheld and they look better than what I got from my camera, but all shots in "handheld.wmv" are stationary or at least they look very stationary. I could see some walking in "concert.wmv" and that didn't look bad, so if it's possible I still want to see some walking shots in daylight. That's when the problem was most apparent for me. If Solomon's camera has this wobble issue, it should be apparent in a handheld walking shot. If it isn't, then I can rule out my theory that all HV20s suffer from the wobble and buy myself another HV20 hoping for a wobble free unit.


he already has footage of walking without wobble... it's in his other thread "Rainy Day"


it would seem that some units have the wobble and some don't. or perhaps they all have it, but some worse than others. if you have a problem with yours i reccomend returning it and getting a new one.
 
Solomon Chase said:
Finally got around to this. Not as much movie magic as last time because I'm busy with some paying projects.

Someone on forum asked me to shoot a lowlight test and a handheld test with 1/48 Shutter, 24P
I actually shot 2 separate tests. Both handheld, second WMV is low light test.

First Test "Sunny Day"
http://solomonchase.com/HV20/handheld.wmv EDIT: 1st CLIP UPDATED: Fixed interlace, added more panning shots

Second Test "Concert"
http://solomonchase.com/HV20/concert.wmv (in the last band shot the camera is sitting on table)

Solomon,

How did you fix the interlace issue? I saw some in my clips even after I did the pulldown removal. Maybe I didn't do it correctly?
 
kledster said:
he already has footage of walking without wobble... it's in his other thread "Rainy Day"


it would seem that some units have the wobble and some don't. or perhaps they all have it, but some worse than others. if you have a problem with yours i reccomend returning it and getting a new one.
That "Rainy Day" was shot with the camera mounted on a tripod and the tripod being handheld. This is an effective way to stabilize any camera while shooting handheld (kind of like a GlideCam or other handheld stabilizer.)
I have to say, I don't think some units wobble and some don't. The exaggerated image movement when shooting handheld comes from Canon's implementation of its CMOS sensor. So returning/replacing a camera for that reason is a waste of time.
 
Last edited:
very nice. and I hope you realize you should be getting royalty checks from canon....

What are your camera settings?
 
24Peter said:
I have to say, I don't think some units wobble and some don't. The exaggerated image movement when shooting handheld comes from Canon's implementation of its CMOS sensor. So returning/replacing a camera for that reason is a waste of time.

i would have to agree, although i've seen different footage where both cameras make similar pans with the same shutter speed and yet one wobbles and the other doesn't. i know i'm not the only one who has noticed this, others have mentioned it before as well.
 
Damn, thats some clean footage in low light. The other day I was wondering whether street shots at night would be feasible (they looked pretty dark in Collateral) but this looks awesome.
 
Back
Top