Suggested New Nikkors for Red...?

Brian_Broz

Active member
Hi,
What NEW Nikkor lenses are suggested as the best interim solution for RED? (Until the Red Zoom is available)...for those with reservations.
Some of us are simply too busy to look for used Nikkors:-) I'm hoping someone has suggestions / experiences with these "new" manual lenses listed on the www.nikonusa.com website:

24mm f/2 Nikkor AI-S
28mm f/2 Nikkor AI-S
35mm f/1.4 Nikkor AI-S
45mm f/2.8P Nikkor AI-S
50mm f/1.2 Nikkor AI-S
85mm f/2.8 PC Micro-Nikkor
135mm f/2.8 Nikkor AI-S
200mm f/4 Micro-Nikkor IF AI-S
70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 Zoom-Nikkor (For FM-10)

Alternately I have been considering the Zeiss ZF lenses, but there isn't much information available on these yet. And the focus racking looks "backwards" from traditional lenses, which is a concern.

Thanks for any input. I have done some searching, but mostly used lenses are discussed. I have recently acquired a D200 so I'm excited about the prospect of these lenses being dual purpose.
Cheers,


BBroz
 
Hello,

I went yesterday to a local Nikon retailer to look at the d2xs, d200 and some Nikkor prime lenses.

If you are thinking of using Nikkor primes for both the D200 and the Red, I would suggest the AF primes instead of the Manual only ones. You can always switch from A to M and have full control of the lenses while on the Red.

I don't know about others, but looking through a DSLR finder is much more taxing on my eye(s) as compared to an HD EVF. Any help on focus while squinting at an odd angle through a small window is much appreciated.

Does anyone here know if any compatibility issues will exist with the AF Nikkor primes and Red?

Thanks,
Greg

Red#? Still no written Confirmation
 
Any modern Nikkors except the G series should work fine, as far as I'm aware. (G series lenses don't have manual aperture rings. Note that all DX lenses are G series.)

I've heard great things about this lens, if anyone is looking for a wide-ish zoom.
 
Emanuel said:
Here is some info available on the Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZF vs. Nikkor glass:

comparision test
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50-comparison/index.htm
Color fringing, Zeiss-branded made by Cosina, expensive, etc. My favorite is the Nikkor manual lenses 50mm f/1.4 AI ($250) or the $300 55 mm f/2.8 Micro (this last one without distortion but slower even if providing the macro feature without extension gear). Even if this reviewer found some cons on it (as it happens specially concerning to the AF Micro 60 mm f/2.8):

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Here, as well following the link above-mentioned, you can find more info stuff on other Nikkor glass offers.

EDIT -- Chris, on your tip, same here. However, be careful with the distortion even considering the smaller format factor of the RED S35 sensor.
 
Last edited:
You can't go wrong with the 17-35mm 2.8, it's just a great lens.
The 28mm f2 AIS is nice but the 2.8 is stellar. The 50 1.4 is a no brainer. The 1.2 is not as sharp but still good. The 35mm 1.4 is also great. Try and find an 85mm 1.4 or get the AF version, it rocks!.
 
Hi evinsky,

If you were putting together a set of Nikkor lenses from scratch, in addition to the above, what would you suggest? Any specialty lenses (like swing tilt or fisheye, macro) or "must haves" would be great. Like many here, I am waiting for the RED zoom and to see if RED produces Primes later... (Of course there will be pl mount rentals for some productions, when the project and budget calls for it...)

Thank you E- in advance.
 
If you can find and afford one the 28mm f1.4 is spectacular, my fovorite portait lens for my D2x.

My Redikon lens kit will look like this...
12-24mm f4 DX nikkor (Assuming an iris workaround)
DN07999058196.jpg

Or the 15mm 3.5 AIS if the iris issue can't be solved.
NK06999019017.jpg

17-35mm f2.8 mentiond before
NA07999038640.jpg

28mm f1.4 Love this lens.
283.jpg

50mm f1.4 AI
NK06010200699.jpg

85mm f1.4 AIS (AF Version shown)
44631.jpg

105mm f2.8 Macro AIS
NK06010200791.jpg

135mm f2 AI
NK06000079500.jpg
 
Awesome info!

Awesome info!

evinsky said:
If you can find and afford one the 28mm f1.4 is spectacular, my fovorite portait lens for my D2x.

My Redikon lens kit will look like this...
12-24mm f4 DX nikkor (Assuming an iris workaround)

evinsky this fits the bill. Thank you very much for taking the time and doing this... Being able to draw upon the experience of others, take it to heart and apply it to your own needs is what makes this community great:thumbup:

Cheers,

Andrew Benz
 
Emanuel said:
Color fringing, Zeiss-branded made by Cosina, expensive, etc. My favorite is the Nikkor manual lenses 50mm f/1.4 AI ($250) or the $300 55 mm f/2.8 Micro (this last one without distortion but slower even if providing the macro feature without extension gear). Even if this reviewer found some cons on it (as it happens specially concerning to the AF Micro 60 mm f/2.8):

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html

Here, as well following the link above-mentioned, you can find more info stuff on other Nikkor glass offers.

EDIT -- Chris, on your tip, same here. However, be careful with the distortion even considering the smaller format factor of the RED S35 sensor.
I stand corrected the link above-mentioned (see the index -- footer):

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

Here is the direct link for the comprehensive "best of" lens evaluation according Bjørn Rørslett (reviewer):

http://www.naturfotograf.com/bestof.html

Have a nice reading!

_______________________

Andrew, check your e-mail.

E. :)
 
Emanuel said:
Andrew, check your e-mail.
E. :)

Got it E. --- Southern Europe, shooting beautiful landscapes and people... new friends and ideas -- just what the doctor ordered!!! It all sounds good.

Great links btw. I am checking them out now.

Cheers :beer:

Andrew
 
In response to the lens and Prospect HD question, I have answered this a number of times. Our original camera shown at NAB was a 1080p camera. Since many people wanted the lenses unbundled anyway, when we went to a full 2K, we chose to avoid a price increase by unbundling the lenses. We still sell them separately ($400-$500 each) for those who want them. Many people already had Prospect HD and Premiere so they became separate also. (Prospect 2K is much more expensive than HD). We did create an edit bundle with both Prospect 2K and Premiere that is MUCH less than the standard prices, only for our customers.

I read this on the idiots thread:huh: it relates to the SI camera

The lenses part got me thinking! the silicon camera is a 2/3rds sensor right? The lenses must be 2/3rds then? Silicon have moved from 1080p to 2k camera? They mention PL mount.

Question their lenses can be bought seperately at $400-$500. Does anyone know what mount these lenses are bases on and are they 2/3rds lenses. I wondered if these lenses could be a cheap alternative to anyone using the red windowed modes or wanting a deeper DOF. I must have something wrong since most 2/3rds HD lenses are expensive!!

Michael
 
The Silicon Imaging SI-2K uses a single large 16:9 format 2/3” CMOS sensor, with it's design enabling the use of lower-cost 16mm film-style lenses, eliminating the optical aberrations caused by a 3-chip prism assembly. Shooting flexibility is enhanced with its interchangeable optical assembly, supporting the use of high-quality modern cinema PL-mount lenses as well as affordable and compact C-mount lenses.

Hey Michael, the c mount lenses and 2/3rds lenses are different beasts. No such luck as a cheap windowed alternate for now (third party perhaps for 720p or 1080p diff. look based on an aesthetic choice.) The c mount is like the Kern Paillard or Switars for my bolex rx 16mm. Think small. The 2/3rds HD super bad a$$ lenses are what you might find on one of Gibby's rigs. Of course the quality to dollar ratio is most evident. But it would be cool to use if motivated by script or needed look. Someone here will most likely give a better explanation.

Cheers
 
mike the beginner said:
I read this on the idiots thread:huh: it relates to the SI camera
Question their lenses can be bought seperately at $400-$500. Does anyone know what mount these lenses are bases on and are they 2/3rds lenses. I wondered if these lenses could be a cheap alternative to anyone using the red windowed modes or wanting a deeper DOF. I must have something wrong since most 2/3rds HD lenses are expensive!!

Michael

Hi,

Standard lens mount for SI is "C" mount. PL is an option.
FWIW The lenses will not work well on a 3 chip CCD.

Stephen
 
I highly would recommend the manual lenses over the AF.

AF lenses are not as smooth in focusing as the manual.

Also have in mind when you use still lenses on a movie cam that its going to be difficult to get the right focus. On my 24mm you have about 5mm to pull between 2m to infinity. Your focuspuller will not be a happy camper.

/Hannes
 
judo said:
I highly would recommend the manual lenses over the AF.

AF lenses are not as smooth in focusing as the manual.

Also have in mind when you use still lenses on a movie cam that its going to be difficult to get the right focus. On my 24mm you have about 5mm to pull between 2m to infinity. Your focuspuller will not be a happy camper.

/Hannes

Hi,

My 24mm Zeiss Super Speed is no much better!

Stephen
 
I was looking at the Nikkor 17-35mm zoom, and I noticed there are ones from USA and ones that are imported. Price seems to be lower on the imported. Anyone know the difference?

Like many in here, I'm not sure yet what glass I'm going to put in front of the camera, but I'm trying to get all my options straight.

Thanks,
Steve
 
stevesherrick said:
I was looking at the Nikkor 17-35mm zoom, and I noticed there are ones from USA and ones that are imported. Price seems to be lower on the imported. Anyone know the difference?

Like many in here, I'm not sure yet what glass I'm going to put in front of the camera, but I'm trying to get all my options straight.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi,

Unofficial imports, could be waranty issues, need to return to selling dealer for repairs.

Stephen
 
Back
Top