Steadycam. Recommendation.

jariscano

New member
Hi, I'm new in the forum. I made myself a home made steadycam and it works a treat although it has a lateral shaking. I can´t expect it to be perfect since it is homemade!! I'm starting to produce corporate videos and we have to make a documentary and I want take good smooth shots without it shaking. (as if it was on a dolly). I saw some videos using a steady and I know that it depends on the operator to take good shots. Well, anyway, I decided invest in a "real" steadycam. I'm starting out and I havent a lot of money but i don´t want to waste my money in a bad choice.

Could anybody recommend me a good steadycam? I have the dvx100 and I am planning to buy a hvx200 or similar (cameras that don´t weigh too much), probably in a couple of month´s time i'll buy an 35mm adapter for these cameras.

I'm interested in a glidecam 4000 pro with the smooth shooter but i'm reading a lot of bad comments about this steadycam and i dont know what to do.

I await your recommendations.

Thanks in advance to everybody.
 
get one with an "i" .. that's "Steadicam" :)


How do you plan to control focus of your 35mm lens when flying it on your Steadicam?

- Mikko
 
ok, sorry ... "Steadicam"

The 35mm adapter not is very important in this moment, only I want a recomendation for a good steadicam for mi equipment and the future.
 
jariscano, i am not a professional operator, but i have shown much of my stuff using the glidecam2000 pro, and my recent purchase the 4000 pro wit hthe smooth shooter. I have been doing it for a good two years now and have become fairly fluent with my rig.

I am not sure where you read the bad comments about the SS, but it's been working great for me!
 
Check out the Steadicam Merlin with it's Arm & Vest. www.steadicam.com

It's about the best rig there is for cameras of this size, and it fits right into your budget too.

In fact, it might make sence for you to consider the Steadicam Pilot as it will leave you more room to grow with more accessories on the camera. It's high on your buget, but still doable as a slightly stronger investment over the Merlin.

- Mikko
 
No need to by the Flyer if the Pilot is enough.

The V-16 is a much older design than the SS. The arm on the V-16 is pretty poor.

- Mikko
 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udxJUCzbjYA

smooth shooter test. Knowing that my skills are somewhat honed with my glidecam, i knew i would be able to achieve this level of smoothness once i got used to the arm and vest.

i did not make the video. but my glidecam2000 pro test video is down the list somewhere, which means nothing to you since its not usingthe vest nor the 4000 pro.
 
Yes, this is a good video.

We are thinking in to buy the steadicam flyer. What do you think about this steadicam?. The Pilot we don't like.

I saw the movcam. And this have a good look but the price is 3.000 € whitout monitor. If we would to buy these and others accesories. The price would be the same that the flyer. Then I think the flyer is better than the movcam. What do you think?

What is the difference between flyer and flyer24??.

Thanks
 
The Flyer is a very good rig.

The Flyer24 is wired for 24volt power, in addition to the standard 12volts. It also has a HD monitor.
The regular Flyer is 12v only and has an SD monitor

- Mikko
 
After having used the Glidecam 4000 and my recently purchased Steadicam Merlin, I have to say that (in my opinion) the Glidecam is crap. It lacks the refinement that the Steadicam has and is much, much harder to control. It is also bigger and heavier. If you intend to fly a DVX then you should seriously consider the Merlin. If you can afford the arm and vest, go for it. It just makes an already versatile product even more versatile. Though if I were going to use a heavier camera and had a bit more money, I'd go for a Pilot.

Yes, with practice, and a great deal of patience, you can get great results with a Glidecam. No doubt. But, in my opinion, after having used both, the Merlin is a way better product.
 
Personally I stick with my FigRig. Its not let me down and is far less hassle. Admittedly your arms can get tired after prelonged shots, but for doco work thats fine (it wouldn't be for sports events and the like tho). Plus its much cheaper :) (Mind you a good thumb control almost doubles the cost but its still cheaper)
 
Back
Top