Start record trigger to Canon 1DX MKII?

dashek

Active member
Hi,

I need to buy start record trigger to my Canon 1DXMKII. I need to mount it on Letus Helix Jr grip to be able start and stop recording with my thumb to avoid loosing the handle.
Can you recommend something? Wired or wireless. Smaller is better of course. Need only one red button :)
 
Manfrotto has a wired clamp on controller for the 5d3 called a sympla. It uses the mini USB port. not sure if it would be interchangeable.
 
the WFT-E8A is not cheap but it works very good.

i attach an iPod Touch right above my right hand onto my (original) Ronin handlebar. i support my Ronin with a Ready Rig which makes it very easy to hold. since I'm not man-handling the Ronin i can easily move my index finger to start/stop the 1DXmkII from the iPod touch as well as asign AF for video tracking. i can still hold the handle grip while doing this. sometimes i have another person handle AF remote from and iPad when i don't want to deal with it. this system package works great. not cheap but really after 6K for the camera and additional $1,400 for 2-256gb cards and 3 extra batteries...whats another $600 for WiFi? for me it was a small expense vs the amount of functionality i would get for shooting video. the AF on this camera is a game changer and being able to control it remotely makes it a very powerful tool.

david
 
the WFT-E8A is not cheap but it works very good.

i attach an iPod Touch right above my right hand onto my (original) Ronin handlebar. i support my Ronin with a Ready Rig which makes it very easy to hold. since I'm not man-handling the Ronin i can easily move my index finger to start/stop the 1DXmkII from the iPod touch as well as asign AF for video tracking. i can still hold the handle grip while doing this. sometimes i have another person handle AF remote from and iPad when i don't want to deal with it. this system package works great. not cheap but really after 6K for the camera and additional $1,400 for 2-256gb cards and 3 extra batteries...whats another $600 for WiFi? for me it was a small expense vs the amount of functionality i would get for shooting video. the AF on this camera is a game changer and being able to control it remotely makes it a very powerful tool.

david

Good to know. Have you noticed a lot of lag with the WFT-E8A on a phone/tablet? It's usable for the 1st AC to control focus on the 1DX II?
 
there is a small bit of lag but after getting used to it not really a problem besides this one quirk...

when touching the mobile device to set a focus spot you must "tap" only...not press and hold burying your finger in the screen. if your finger stays on your mobile device longer than a tap nothing will happen. so when you first tap don't get discouraged by the slight lag (1/4-1/3rd of a second) and know that the new focus assignment will happen.

i have found the connection to be very reliable so far.

i use an iPod Touch with a TP-LINK TL-PB10400 10400mAh Dual-Port Portable USB Battery Charger. with the Touch @ full brightness i can get 21 hours of power from this before it goes to use the internal Touch battery. otherwise the Touch battery doesn't even get 2 hours at full brightness.

its a pretty cool setup to be able to start/stop and assign focus right at my finget tips.

here is the rig i use to hold the original Ronin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecvM-gZtpxw&t=1343s

i move the 2 straps that hold the handle bar away from the outer edge so i can place my Touch above my right hand and also the closer you put the two hooks/straps to the center the quicker you can turn the Ronin.

david
 
Last edited:
Wow. 21 hours?! That's fantastic! Good to know about the tap to focus technique. I'll probably get the WFT-E8A sometime next year. Thanks for the info, David!
 
Better pre-order first the waiting queue is few months, I have been searching for it around the world.

I am using the older version at the moment from my 1DC.
If looking for something cheaper you can always try the Camranger which is half the price and in a way more powerful.

Also many of the wired control still do not support the 1DX2 so check before ordering.
 
this video give an idea of the latency from the Manfrotto Digital Director. if you go to about 21 minute he show latency response which seems pretty good. he is on a Nikon so the touch AF doesn't seem very good compared to the 1DXmkII but overall i think this is pretty nice. still I'm happy with my WiFi dongle overall especially since most of what I'm doing is on the Ronin / Ready Rig combo where this wouldn't be very practical and not near as compact. for tripod usage though this looks very good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-T3YtrBLE
 
this video give an idea of the latency from the Manfrotto Digital Director. if you go to about 21 minute he show latency response which seems pretty good. he is on a Nikon so the touch AF doesn't seem very good compared to the 1DXmkII but overall i think this is pretty nice. still I'm happy with my WiFi dongle overall especially since most of what I'm doing is on the Ronin / Ready Rig combo where this wouldn't be very practical and not near as compact. for tripod usage though this looks very good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo-T3YtrBLE

I have used it with 1DC for some time which is quite good, lag is acceptable. Do not seems to work fully with the 1DX2 in movie mode. No time to test it out fully yet. Even when I use the camranger in wifi mode it is quite acceptable.
 
I have used it with 1DC for some time which is quite good, lag is acceptable. Do not seems to work fully with the 1DX2 in movie mode. No time to test it out fully yet. Even when I use the camranger in wifi mode it is quite acceptable.

According to the app they just added 5D Mk4 support, so they'll probably slowly add in 1DX II support at some point too. Has anyone tried it with the 80D? I saw some stuff in the documentation about lacking Servo AF functions, or something.
 
According to the app they just added 5D Mk4 support, so they'll probably slowly add in 1DX II support at some point too. Has anyone tried it with the 80D? I saw some stuff in the documentation about lacking Servo AF functions, or something.
I guess the 5D4 uses the 1DC settings,
1dx2 use a slightly different os

I waited 2-3 years after i bought the 1DC. actually if you are just looking for start , you can configure the normal shutter to to start video record (in buttons setting menu) use a 10USD normal photographic-use shutter cable to start stop I used that for a long time on the 1DC, quite reliable. please try haha
 
Back
Top