Sony FS100 Firmware Fix Wishlist

Rick Burnett

Section Moderator
Every time I get a new camera, I find things that I wish the manufacturer would address. I plan on sending these to Sony, but I want to find out if others have anything else to add to this list. While I've not shot a huge amount with my FS100, some of these things have annoyed me from day 1.

1) The lag when changing framerates or shutter speeds is way too high. It takes so long for the display to change, most times I go right past the setting I want and have to go back. Instead of changing instantly to the new setting, it would be better to allow switching to the value you want and letting the software catch up to the last setting you are at. No other camera I use has this much lag and it makes the camera feel sluggish.

2) When I close the LCD panel on the camera, the histogram should continue to work on an external display, but it doesn't. This is a bug.

3) When I hit marker, all of the info on the external screen disappears. This is a bug.

4) I would like to be able to see 1:1, focus peaking, and zebras on the external display and not just the internal display.

5) Preset names would be nice, so we could easily remember what they are for if we are using many of them.

What would you like to see addressed?
 
Why is it that video cameras always seem to have gain settings selectable on a L/M/H switch, but you have to go into the menu to change the three settings? Should be able to change the gain setting like you change the audio level setting, iris setting, etc. Instant accessabilty and you instantly see the results. Would that be breaking one of the Fundamental Laws of Physics?
 
Last edited:
I agree. When I went from my 7D to the AF100 and the FS100 I was amazed I couldn't dial through the gain and get exactly what I wanted. Personally I think people using older cameras just adjusted Iris since the sensor was so small, most everything was in focus anyways so DoF wasn't such a concern :) But now, with larger sensors, I don't want to touch the Iris. That is a request I have as well, maybe a mode where you select H gain and then use a button and the dial to pick exactly what you want. Would be nice, that is for sure.
 
Tell them to change the labels on the assignable buttons to white lettering. The dark letters can't even be read in daylight unless you stick you eyes 5 inches away.
 
I know we will all change the assignable buttons but putting something as disruptive to your shooting as "LAST SCENE" in the bottom row of the assignable buttons, right above the button row where your fumbly fingers are constantly adjusting important functions, while shooting makes me think someone in the design department is not using this camera.
 
I implore you. Set you iso in one place, and adjust your exposure with lights, ND, and iris. You will get better consistency and a "filmic look". (Consistency is a big part of it).

The dslr's teach bad habits. Iso is not an adjust ment for exposure.
 
I implore you. Set you iso in one place, and adjust your exposure with lights, ND, and iris. You will get better consistency and a "filmic look". (Consistency is a big part of it).

The dslr's teach bad habits. Iso is not an adjust ment for exposure.

To be honest, we've just never had a problem with consistency shooting with the 7D. The biggest issue with the 7D was noise over 1600ISO but under that, I used all the ISO settings and it's never been an issue. I've also shot with the AF100 and the FS100 using ND and Iris as well, and I just don't see that big a difference in the results. I think it really comes down to how much noise the camera puts out and with the FS100, it's pretty clean. I mean, it's A LOT more consistent than say a movie shot on film shifting from fast to slow film, where the difference in grain is EXTREME.

I've spent a lot of time talking to people about this, and the issue I have is I think gain should be selectable in smaller increments. If I am using non variable ND, and a fixed ISO, then my only choice is lights or Iris. But I don't want to tweak the Iris, as I want a consistent DoF for some shots. I like to use found light with added light all the time, and in those cases, if the sun is coming in and out of clouds all day, I try to nail the same exposure. By small changes in gain, I can keep the image pretty similar.

I know that people are not used to using ISO for exposure, because in the film world, we didn't have that. In addition, like I said, noise differences in older cameras created extremely differences in look. But now, with something as clean as the FS100, it's a different world. And testing the ISO settings as I have, I have no worry the image would be consistent.
 
I forgot to add:

Add more frame rate options in the slower range. 23,22,21,20, etc. These are used shooting certain types of action scenes and would be REALLY useful.
 
I implore you. Set you iso in one place, and adjust your exposure with lights, ND, and iris. You will get better consistency and a "filmic look". (Consistency is a big part of it).

The dslr's teach bad habits. Iso is not an adjust ment for exposure.

How many videographers does it take to change a light bulb? None that is what ISO if for :). But yes I would like to be able to change my ISO like you can on a DSLR.
 
There definitely needs to be a consistency in the menus.

So often, one makes a change, and then the camera hangs around with a black screen with a couple of buttons on it, waiting for somebody to do something about it (usually by having to use the roller as one has the chimney over the touchscreen). Other times, one makes a change and it just happens after a couple of seconds of 'think' time. IIRC, there's a point at which one might accidentally press the iris button instead of Expanded Focus. It brings up a message about it being 'invalid' and gives you an option to select okay and cancel (?!), but doesn't go away of its own accord. Expletively irritating. I may have got the minutae wrong, but that's the overriding memory of the sort of howlers buried not-so-deep in its interface.

I'd sit down with the camera and work all this out, but I'm en-route to a job that happens to be NTSC, so having to use EX1R and 550D. The PAL/NTSC 'upgrade' can't come soon enough, but if we can squash a few interface bugs at the same time, it would be grand.

BTW, I have some notes I made about the EX1 when I first purchased it. It was a bit scathing about all sorts of things (build quality, interface, ergonomics, etc) but is now a revered camera. I've been a bit nasty to my FS100 as of late (even threatened it with eBay to be replaced by a 5d), but I'm sure it will work out over time.
 
I implore you. Set you iso in one place, and adjust your exposure with lights, ND, and iris. You will get better consistency and a "filmic look". (Consistency is a big part of it). The dslr's teach bad habits. Iso is not an adjust ment for exposure.

No. Film teaches bad habbits. Film teaches us that to change the lighting slightly you have to go and adjust lights, have a coffee break for 5 minutes as the crew wonders around and takes readings. If you just change the iris then the look will be different.

DSLR's teach us that you can just push a button and keep shooting.
 
There definitely needs to be a consistency in the menus.

So often, one makes a change, and then the camera hangs around with a black screen with a couple of buttons on it, waiting for somebody to do something about it (usually by having to use the roller as one has the chimney over the touchscreen). Other times, one makes a change and it just happens after a couple of seconds of 'think' time. IIRC, there's a point at which one might accidentally press the iris button instead of Expanded Focus. It brings up a message about it being 'invalid' and gives you an option to select okay and cancel (?!), but doesn't go away of its own accord. Expletively irritating. I may have got the minutae wrong, but that's the overriding memory of the sort of howlers buried not-so-deep in its interface.

I'd sit down with the camera and work all this out, but I'm en-route to a job that happens to be NTSC, so having to use EX1R and 550D. The PAL/NTSC 'upgrade' can't come soon enough, but if we can squash a few interface bugs at the same time, it would be grand.

BTW, I have some notes I made about the EX1 when I first purchased it. It was a bit scathing about all sorts of things (build quality, interface, ergonomics, etc) but is now a revered camera. I've been a bit nasty to my FS100 as of late (even threatened it with eBay to be replaced by a 5d), but I'm sure it will work out over time.

Yeah, the lag on some of the setting changes is really annoying. I can accept it for things I don't change often, but on framerate and shutter speed, I do not like. Both my 7D and AF100 feel much more snappy.
 
No. Film teaches bad habbits. Film teaches us that to change the lighting slightly you have to go and adjust lights, have a coffee break for 5 minutes as the crew wonders around and takes readings. If you just change the iris then the look will be different.

DSLR's teach us that you can just push a button and keep shooting.


........
 
No. Film teaches bad habbits. Film teaches us that to change the lighting slightly you have to go and adjust lights, have a coffee break for 5 minutes as the crew wonders around and takes readings. If you just change the iris then the look will be different.

DSLR's teach us that you can just push a button and keep shooting.


Evacuation--Shelter-Signs-43011BBHPLYALU-ba.jpg

Attention DVXUsers, this is not a test. A poisonous contagion has been released within this thread and posses a grave danger to the professional health of all those in proximity. Please follow the DVXuser evacuation protocol and press the back-button in your web-browser immediately. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you feel you may have been contaminated, please go to the Cinematography forum where Timur Civan will be allocating and administering inoculations. If you have been infected and do not seek treatment, the repercussions can be severe, often leading to professional quarantine for the rest of your career as a cinematographer.

Thanks!


-Ryan P. O'Hara
Cinematography & Lighting Section Moderator
 
No. Film teaches bad habbits. Film teaches us that to change the lighting slightly you have to go and adjust lights, have a coffee break for 5 minutes as the crew wonders around and takes readings. If you just change the iris then the look will be different.

DSLR's teach us that you can just push a button and keep shooting.

The microwave generation.
 
Back
Top