Sony DSR450 Night Exterior Frame Grabs

Ralph Oshiro

Veteran
DRIVING NIGHT EXTERIORS--Sepulveda Blvd. near LAX:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; 0dB gain; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: mercury vapor street lights.

west-01.jpg


Uncorrected

Note: These images have NOT been gamma-corrected for computer viewing; these images are actually slightly brighter when viewed on a video CRT monitor. Also, my windshield is really, really, dirty.
 
Last edited:
DRIVING NIGHT EXTERIORS--Sepulveda near LAX:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; 0dB gain; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: mercury vapor and sodium vapor street lights.

west-06.jpg


Uncorrected
 
Last edited:
DRIVING NIGHT EXTERIORS--Sepulveda near LAX:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; 0dB gain; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: mercury vapor street lights.

west-05.jpg


Uncorrected
 
MAGIC HOUR NIGHT EXTERIORS--Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; 0dB gain; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: mercury vapor street lights.

rodeo-b-01.jpg


Uncorrected
 
MAGIC HOUR NIGHT EXTERIORS--Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; 0dB gain; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: Halogen car headlamps, mercury vapor and sodium vapor street lights.

rodeo-b-02.jpg


Uncorrected
 
MAGIC HOUR NIGHT EXTERIORS--Rodeo Drive, Beverly Hills:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; 0dB gain; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: mercury vapor street light.

r4.jpg


Uncorrected
 
NIGHT EXTERIORS--The Moon:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; 0dB gain; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: (you know, the sun).

moon-01.jpg


Uncorrected
 
"the sun" :grin:
And who was driving?

Seriously thoguh Rez, some really nice looking shots there! Kicks the pants of any 1/3 cam for latitude. :) It would be interesting to see some shots in the *really* dark with gain on to see what it can do if you have to. But these are the shot's you been wanting for a while now. Are you happy with your descision?

Love to see some daylight stuff too at some point. Go shoot some hot chicks down at Venice or something :thumbsup:

- Mikko
 
Hey Mikko!

Yeah, try cramming a Vinten Vision 5 and a full-sized camera in your passenger seat while driving with your left hand and holding the camera level with the other! It was a bit of a struggle. Drove right by TWO cops. I guess they didn't notice.

Yeah . . . after MUCH consternation (as you all know), I must say . . . I'm pretty happy with my decision. I did freak out a bit when I heard how low the Silicon Imaging camera is going to be, but, the DSR450 is here and now with a very standard workflow and with its complement of standard ENG-design ergonomics, robustness, and portability.

I am VERY impressed with the camera's latitude! The daylight shots in the other thread were all shot in DIRECT sunlight--no clouds, and the camera was able to expose well into the highlights AND into the shadows.

And the final acid test . . . the night exteriors under mercury vapor streetlights, that I JUST completed tonight. And, yes, I'm pretty darned happy with the camera's low light sensitivity. I was impressed with how well it exposed city streets--they look "lit" on a CRT! All in all, yes, I'm happy (finally)!
 
mikkowilson said:
Love to see some daylight stuff too at some point. Go shoot some hot chicks down at Venice or something.
Yeah, check the other thread I just finished for the daylight shots. Yeah, I REALLY need to shoot some summer "beauty shots."
 
Doh! missed the other thread, looking now...

It's good to hear you are happy with you cam (must be to be up at 4am posting screengrabs!) I fully agree with you that you can't beat the way a ENG cam handles. Just built right.

What car do you drive (either way, a Vision5 + 450 is a lot to fit in!)? - at least you didn't use the Flyer! (actually.. does the Flyer fly the 450?)

- Mikko
 
Grabs look great. I'm envious of your camera - if only we could get something like that in HD!

Love the moon and the streetlight one especially. Congrats.
 
Believe it or not, I haven't even mounted it yet! I just moved, so I haven't had time to do anything. But I weighed the camera, fully loaded, and it's still under the 15 Lb. weight limit. Still need to decide which Anton Bauer bricks to buy to attain the perfect balance with the DSR450 and the Flyer. I'm still just using the Sony V-bricks that came with the camera package to power the camera (but I bought an Anton Bauer-mount Flyer, and plan to go all Anton Bauer eventually, since I already bought the Anton Bauer four-position charger!).
 
NIGHT EXTERIORS--Rodeo Dr., Beverly Hills, California:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; 0dB gain; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: mercury vapor street lights.

rgain-01.jpg


Uncorrected
 
NIGHT EXTERIORS--Rodeo Dr., Beverly Hills, California: GAIN UP +9 dB

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; gain up; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: mercury vapor street lights.

rgain-02.jpg


Uncorrected
 
Last edited:
Man that 9db shows. But you know, it really doesn't look very different noise wise. I'm very impressed. It does a good job of bringing up the middle tones, but the brights don't wash out too much more though. It does bring up the haze a little too though.

However, I can see a notable amount of purple CA on the dark pillars up at the top left.

- Mikko
 
Thanks! Artifacts in the night sky are slightly enhanced from the JPEG compression. But, no filters. And no glass "protective" UV filter on the camera. No color correction.
 
NIGHT EXTERIORS--Rodeo Dr., Beverly Hills, California:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; f/1.8; gain 0dB; 3200K preset; 24PA; shutter off; detail off.
Light source: mercury vapor street lights.

bh-01.jpg


Uncorrected
 
Back
Top