Sony DSR450 Daylight Interior/Exterior Frame Grabs

Ralph Oshiro

Veteran
DAYLIGHT INTERIORS/EXTERIORS--Manhattan Beach, California:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; exposure unrecorded; 0dB gain; 5600K manual; 24PA; 1/48th shutter on; detail off.
Light source: Dayight.

mb-01.jpg


Uncorrected
 
DAYLIGHT INTERIORS/EXTERIORS--Manhattan Beach, California:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; exposure unrecorded; 0dB gain; 5600K manual; 24PA; 1/48th shutter on; detail off.
Light source: Dayight.

mb-02.jpg


Uncorrected
 
DAYLIGHT INTERIORS/EXTERIORS--Manhattan Beach, California:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; exposure unrecorded; 0dB gain; 5600K manual; 24PA; 1/48th shutter on; detail off.
Light source: Dayight.

mb-03.jpg


Uncorrected
 
DAYLIGHT INTERIORS/EXTERIORS--Manhattan Beach, California:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; exposure unrecorded; 0dB gain; 5600K manual; 24PA; 1/48th shutter on; detail off.
Light source: Dayight.

mb-04.jpg


Uncorrected
 
DAYLIGHT INTERIORS/EXTERIORS--Manhattan Beach, California:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; exposure unrecorded; 0dB gain; 5600K manual; 24PA; 1/48th shutter on; detail off.
Light source: Dayight.

mb-05.jpg


Uncorrected
 
DAYLIGHT INTERIORS/EXTERIORS--Manhattan Beach, California:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; exposure unrecorded; 0dB gain; 5600K manual; 24PA; 1/48th shutter on; detail off.
Light source: Dayight.

mb-06.jpg


Uncorrected
 
DAYLIGHT INTERIORS/EXTERIORS--Manhattan Beach, California:

Sony DSR450: FILM gamma 1; exposure unrecorded; 0dB gain; 5600K manual; 24PA; 1/48th shutter on; detail off.
Light source: Dayight.

mb-08.jpg


Uncorrected
 
...Nice stuff here too. I deffinatly agree about the good shadow detail, hgouh you do clip teh very whitest fo whites in some shots I think (picky picky).

Good clean looking blur on that car, and the DoF speaks for itself (as normal for 2/3").


No Venice though...


- Mikko
 
Thanks, Mikko. You gotta admit, it took balls to spend $12,000 cash money on a STANDARD-DEFINITION camera in this day and age! But the darned thing looks pretty good! Venice, here I come . . .
 
Nothing wrong with standard deff. Heck, my current job still has me shooting in 4:3.And I dont' see HD as a necesety in Europe for a long time yet either.
Besides, I just dropped well over $20k on an Steadicam with a SD monitor. (thoguh I can change later). HD's isn't everything yet.

When HD really begins to matter, the right gear will be available to do it. :)

- Mikko.
 
Fantastic grabs, Rez; many thanks for posting them.
Might of missed this, but what lens[es] do you have?
 
Thanks. I have the Fujinon A20x8.6BRM 2/3" 20:1 (8.6-172mm) internal focus, ENG/EFP lens that came with the B+H bundle. At its widest, the lens shows a 55° horizontal, and 42° angles of view. It's also fairly fast--f/1.8 at its widest aperture. It retails for $2,899 new from B+H, but cost next to nothing bundled with the camera.

It's nice to have a relatively long 20:1 lens to shoot with, and it goes fairly wide for a standard lens. The lens does exhibit a fair amount of barrel distortion at the wide end--a bit more than I was expecting. But it seems razor sharp, and bears little chromatic aberration, except in the most extreme lighting situations. For the money, I'm sure it can't be beat.
 
Last edited:
Rezfactor said:
You gotta admit, it took balls to spend $12,000 cash money on a STANDARD-DEFINITION camera in this day and age!
i don't need to admit it, those are the right words.. well, you know what i'm thinking.. anyway, different people, different needs.. kudos for your work! :)
 
Last edited:
Fujinon; okay cool. Nice package choices at B&H!
Gotta admit, that is one helluva camera for such a low price. I see they have a 3k$ mail-in rebate going on until September too. Amazing stuff, and with grabs like this, I reckon you'll have a good, workable cam for years to come [despite your SD concerns].
 
I just did some depth of field tests with my DSR-450WS and a Pro 35/Super Speed Prime vs. a DVX 100 and 450 w/standard Fujinon zoom. Check out the thread.

I also did matrix emulations of the Panasonic SDX 900 and DVX 100A for the 450.

It was good to spend some hours with the cameras side by side. I'll post a thread about what I thought of the 450 compared to the Pannys.

Jeff Regan
Shooting Star Video
www.ssv.com
 
Dino said:
I also did matrix emulations of the Panasonic SDX 900 and DVX 100A for the 450.
Can't wait to see those, man! I've been fiddling in Premiere Pro to get a flatter, more filmy look outta my DSR450. Cranked the chroma down, raised the blacks, and lowered contrast a bit. The night exteriors look a bit more DVX100-ish now. Dying to see what matrices you came up with!
 
Back
Top