SONY a6500 announced...!!! New sensor, touch screen and IBIS...!!!

If anyone has any information on the question, "does it overheat?" please share.

Yea, that is the big question now! I doubt we ll have any info until the first units we ll be out for testing. I have some hopes because of the new sensor...we ll see...
 
Yeah, they've basically taken a similar body to the one that overheats, packed more stuff in there (IBIS)... I'd guess it's as bad as the A6300.
 
I think they had a lot of feedback on the a6300, 'got their fingers burned' if you pardon the pun. My guess is the overheating will have been solved.
 
4K at only 100 Mbps. :( Guess Sony wants to protect other cameras.

Since 3D is truly dead and buried, Sony seems to have invented 4D. There is a '"4D Focus" system. following blurb is from B&H
"Covering nearly the entire sensor area, a powerful 4D FOCUS system incorporates 425 on-chip phase-detection points along with 169 contrast-detection areas for precise focusing in as little as 0.05 seconds. The density of focusing points from this hybrid AF system also enables High-density Tracking AF Technology, which is adept at tracking moving subjects in a variety of lighting conditions. The use of phase-detection points also enables the use of A-mount lenses via the optional LA-EA3 or LA-EA1 lens mount adapters with full AF compatibility."

To Sony's credit they have included peaking.
 
lol, apparently still no headphone jack, and still a 30 minute limit.

I have a question for folks that have the Sony hot shoe XLR mic adapter. I can't tell from either photos or specs whether the adapter itself has a headphone jack. One of the promotional photos for this camera shows it kitted out with the new F4 zoom video lens, the XLR adapter and a mic:

photo4.jpg

My question is, if neither the camera nor the XLR adapter have a headphone jack, how the heck is one supposed to monitor audio with this camera (or the a6300)???
 
4K at only 100 Mbps. :( Guess Sony wants to protect other cameras...
It's also 4:2:2 8-bit out via HDMI. Which is where it will underperform visavis GH5 and EM1MKII.

On the other hand, it has a larger sensor. And, at $1,400, it'll be hard for Olympus and Panasonic charge much more.
 
The last time I used an a6000 I think battery life was less than 1 hr in video, so with the added IBIS and 4k and higher bitrates, it's going drain so fast. But finally, a touch screen for focus! I hope that means touch screen is a standard they'll keep for all future models.
 


The rolling shutter around 49s. No surprise there. I think by now many people are skipping Sony's transition models, I'd be upset if I had just bought a 6300 to see that the 6500 has touch screen focus and IBIS for just $400 more. I don't recall, did the 6300 have the same supersampling for 4K? All things considered, I thought the 6300 was still pretty good bang for the buck, but the 6500 is really setting the bar. Kudos to Sony. I feel like the 6500 is the first of Sony's cameras more than worth my money.
 
It's also 4:2:2 8-bit out via HDMI. Which is where it will underperform visavis GH5 and EM1MKII.

On the other hand, it has a larger sensor. And, at $1,400, it'll be hard for Olympus and Panasonic charge much more.

Larger sensor but it also packs in more pixels (24mp) vs 16mp for m43. Great for shooting stills but for video not so much. I honestly don't consider an APS-C sensor a compelling selling point anymore. I'm rarely impressed by any APS-C camera vs a m43 camera when it comes to video.
 
I agree with poormanwally. I was about to buy a 6300 and then the overheating issues cropped up everywhere. I stopped, bought a used 6000 for $450 bucks from BH and have been using that with no issues and often with one of my Ninjas. I will wait a bit but the 6500 looks like it will in my future. Just bought a Z150 for run and gun. sure hope there is not a Z160 about to come out.
 
Where does it say the sensor is new? The press release says the front-end LSI (electronics) is new, but from the description, it sounds like the sensor is likely the same as the a6300. The 24.2 MP count is exactly the same as the a6300, and much of the language about the sensor is the same as in the a6300 press release (e.g. thin copper wiring to improve light collection efficiency and read-out speed).

That being said, if the LSI in the a6300 generated a lot of heat and the new LSI in the a6500 runs cooler, there's a chance that this could help alleviate some of the overheating problems.
 
Back
Top