SONY a6500 announced...!!! New sensor, touch screen and IBIS...!!!

My question is, if neither the camera nor the XLR adapter have a headphone jack, how the heck is one supposed to monitor audio with this camera (or the a6300)???

I have the wireless mic receiver with the extra smart shoe adaptor and I can monitor audio through the receiver when it's attached to my A7S. The receiver has a separate headphone mini jack out. I can't comment on the XLR adaptor. I haven't used it.
 
You could get a cheap monitor too (most have headphone inputs)...of course that adds bulk.
 
Unless the LSI was responsible for the overheating and short battery life of the a6300, then this thing is just an a6300 plus IBIS.

So, most likely:
* If you were OK with the a6300 but you wished it had IBIS like the a7R II and the a7S II, then this is the camera for you
* If you were OK with the a6300 and don't need IBIS, then there's no point in going for the a6500
* If you were NOT OK with the a6300 because you need a camera that doesn't overheat, doesn't have awful rolling shutter, etc, then I think you won't like the a6500 either

In particular, if you were torn between the a6300 and the a7R II because you want to shoot 4k with S35 lenses, and you had trouble deciding between them because you want IBIS but the price of the a7R II is too steep, then the a6500 is just what you were waiting for. Anybody going for the a7R II specifically for its 4k S35 mode can now go for the a6500 and save $2k.

Personally, I'm still waiting for either 4k 60 fps or slog3 that is not crippled (i.e. same DR as the FS7).
 
This is an official Sony video and rolling shutter is already looking bad. I really thing this is just an a6300 with IBIS.
 
Yep, and a touchscreen. This should've been the original 6300.
I guess there will be A6700 with smaller RS, fixed overheating and maybe a headphone jack somewhere around Photokina 2017 for measly 1900Euro :D
 
Cameralabs review
All the thermal issues seem to be still there, so, a6300 with IBIS and touchscreen it is.

Epic Fail! It seems Sony now has an entire line of cameras that overheat, no thanks. Who could use this for anything but the most casual, hobbyist shoots? I was hoping to never see bad rolling shutter again, my 5D MKII had that, but my C100 doesn't, this camera is a step backwards. Good thing is, Sony introduces new models almost weekly so at some point, they will eliminate the overheating and up the scan speed of the sensor reading to get rid of the rolling shutter. Then this may become an interesting camera to work with. As of now, it is a limited toy from what I can tell.
 
Thanks for this link. I think I will stay with the a6300 that is in the mail! I was going to return it but I do not know if IBIS is that important to me as I will either be on a tripod or gimbal with this camera. The RS is so bad that I would not consider using it for handheld camera work very often. Kind of a strange release given the heat and RS do not seem to be addressed. Fully no embarrassment from Sony for putting out a camera that has some new lows for the industry in the name of resolution. But for $1,000 you can not beat what it does offer.
 
I think they had a lot of feedback on the a6300, 'got their fingers burned' if you pardon the pun. My guess is the overheating will have been solved.

I'm guessing the new fast LSI will be less taxed than the old one, resulting in lower temps.


lol, apparently still no headphone jack, and still a 30 minute limit.

My question is, if neither the camera nor the XLR adapter have a headphone jack, how the heck is one supposed to monitor audio with this camera (or the a6300)???

Blame Europe for the 30 min limit. It can easily be defeated with a simple app, either way.

You can use a little HDMI to VGA + audio adapter to add a headphone jack to any camera that outputs video while recording.
 
Do you have a link for the adapter you use? I've seen some of them only work up to HD as far as I know.
 
So, most likely:
* If you were OK with the a6300 but you wished it had IBIS like the a7R II and the a7S II, then this is the camera for you
* If you were OK with the a6300 and don't need IBIS, then there's no point in going for the a6500
* If you were NOT OK with the a6300 because you need a camera that doesn't overheat, doesn't have awful rolling shutter, etc, then I think you won't like the a6500 either
Personally, I'm still waiting for either 4k 60 fps or slog3 that is not crippled (i.e. same DR as the FS7).

I've been using my 6300 on hh gimbal to match as 2nd camera to my FS7. And works a charm. Kinda miffed at Sony now for adding internal IBIS to another camera so soon... but I had to pull the trigger on the 6300 for specific jobs. Certainly a wait & see type mode now but hoping to stick with the 6300. Curious Samuel - what you meant by "crippled Slog 3 " - I use PIX E5 recorder with my 6300 and have gotten great results.
 
Who could use this for anything but the most casual, hobbyist shoots?

Half the people on this forum could shoot a feature film with it. Not a wedding, not a concert, not an interview, not a documentary. But narrative? Sure!
(just remember to switch to 1080p if you have a fight where you'll go crazy shakycam, then the rolling shutter will be fine too; 4k doesn't matter when all you see is blur, anyway)

Curious Samuel - what you meant by "crippled Slog 3 " - I use PIX E5 recorder with my 6300 and have gotten great results.
I meant that it just clips at 80% brightness or so, instead of going all the way to white and giving you the extra dynamic range I was hoping for with slog3. You get a small advantage in the shadows, at the cost of less brightness values per stop of light in midtones and highlights. I'm fine with that cost, but only if I get the extra 1.5 stops of headroom in the highlights that slog3 should bring!
 
Last edited:
Well if the IBIS works well and allows me to shoot handheld then I'll pay to upgrade from the A6300. Would allow me to sell some of my sony native lenses and stick to the vintage nikons and mamiya glass. Less to carry while traveling makes me happy and still would work as a nice B Cam on sticks. S-Log 3 doesn't matter to me as I find it doesn't play well with the 8 bit codec (same reason I don't use slog 3 on the FS5). Interested to see how battery life will be with the IBIS and when the release is cause I'd love to be able to take this with me to LA in november.
 
The Sony mirrorless' have usually been available one month after preordering begins...so should be shipping in November.

B&H should have an accurate date on Monday.
 
The Sony mirrorless' have usually been available one month after preordering begins...so should be shipping in November.

B&H should have an accurate date on Monday.
H'm might have to have it shipped to my friend in LA to test it while I'm out there.
 
Half the people on this forum could shoot a feature film with it. Not a wedding, not a concert, not an interview, not a documentary. But narrative? Sure!
(just remember to switch to 1080p if you have a fight where you'll go crazy shakycam, then the rolling shutter will be fine too; 4k doesn't matter when all you see is blur, anyway)


I meant that it just clips at 80% brightness or so, instead of going all the way to white and giving you the extra dynamic range I was hoping for with slog3. You get a small advantage in the shadows, at the cost of less brightness values per stop of light in midtones and highlights. I'm fine with that cost, but only if I get the extra 1.5 stops of headroom in the highlights that slog3 should bring!

Keeping it all in perspective, of course. A talented filmmaker can shoot a great story with their phone. But for those of us who have to shoot handheld action a lot, or shoot long clips over long periods of time, this camera is a poor choice. I am sure the images look fine , it's the usability under many circumstances that are a fail.
 
Last edited:
I just purchased an a6300 and I will be keeping it. Having never picked up the camera before yesterday, my opinion is that this camera is pretty bad for handholding. The grip is not designed for this type of shooting and the camera acts like any small type of camera. Little movements you can not stop because it is so small. IBIS might help with this ability. I put it on my new MS1 Beholder and it performed beautifully. It reinforces the modern concept of a camera for every type of job...
 
Back
Top