Some footage...please!

Well sure, or even "duh".
The trick is being able to make that choice, or even having the choice to make.
Before, there was no choice.
Now, the AF100 gives us an inexpensive choice. A choice for all of us that can't choose a $60,000 (Or however much it costs) camera.
 
This is very true. However, since the camera is still in development, we have a small window of time to report any issues/problems we may find in the footage as something that may be potentially improved in the last 5%.

I'd rather point out a few minor flaws and have one of them partially improved than sit back and say "It looks great!" - commentary which offers no room for improvement.

That is exactly why Panasonic calls upon Barry, Philip and top pros of this industry. They report their findings because they have the prototypes in their hands and see the whole process thru. None of us is in a position to criticize because all we are seeing is stuff from youtube and vimeo and one dowloaded clip. Jan Crittenden said to us in NYC that they worked with a group of top DPs in the development of this camera. And of course they are working with that selected group as we speak. Barry Green right on top of that list.
 
There was extensive feedback given. Much of today was spent in feedback to the engineers, and getting their responses, and laying out the priorities of things we would like improved. I think everyone there was unanimous in their assessment of the AF100 -- it's not perfect, but for the price it's a steal and an incredible offering. We were all very happy with what we saw. And we all understand that you're only going to get so much, and go so far, at a $4995 price point, and keeping that in context, we felt Panasonic's hit the nail pretty squarely on the head. And we offered a lot of feedback on what we'd like to see changed in this model (if possible) or added to some future model whenever such a thing might be on the agenda.

Nobody kowtowed. Nobody there was a sycophant. They don't bring us in to tell them what they're doing right, they bring us in to tell them how we work with the products and therefore they can design them to better suit the needs of the folks in the field. Where they got it right, we praised them. Where they got it wrong, we told them. As to what will change in the units between now and Dec. 27th, that's in their hands. All I know is that as of the time we had to hand the cameras back at the end of the test, they pretty much had to pry them from our fingers. And that's with the full understanding that this isn't an Alexa, it's not the single greatest thing since sliced bread, it's not a noiseless instant-blockbuster-making magic box. It's just a pretty special, very good, downright excellent $4995 shallow-DOF video/cinematography camcorder. And we all want one. A lot.
 
That is exactly why Panasonic calls upon Barry, Philip and top pros of this industry. They report their findings because they have the prototypes in their hands and see the whole process thru. None of us is in a position to criticize because all we are seeing is stuff from youtube and vimeo and one dowloaded clip. Jan Crittenden said to us in NYC that they worked with a group of top DPs in the development of this camera. And of course they are working with that selected group as we speak. Barry Green right on top of that list.

Well, like I said, I'm not making judgements about the finished version of the camera. I'm just looking at the native clip that Barry posted at 1:1 resolution and posting my comments which were both negative and positive. I'm not talking about YouTube, I'm not talking about Vimeo. I'm talking about the only clip so far that it makes sense for me to critique based on my own needs and merits as an end user. This is what I would be looking at after a shoot, had I been the one to shoot it.

It seems others have noticed similar issues. I can assume Barry and Philip saw them as well, but when a group of people on a forum also see and report them, it lends credence to the issue and provides incentive for the little improvements to be made. And, of course, people are human. People - no matter how skilled - always miss things.

And if Panasonic doesn't care about what their end-users say at any point then they can 1) not allow posting of native footage in the future or 2) just not listen. Everyone on the forum, however, has the right to speak up when they see something they like and when they see something they don't like. Not speaking won't fix anything. Speaking might. So I try.
 
It's just a pretty special, very good, downright excellent $4995 shallow-DOF video/cinematography camcorder.

I like this assessment, Barry. Your hard work and travel are definitely appreciated! I look forward to seeing more from the finished version of the camera - I'm sure what you and Philip (and others?) did over the past few days will have a very positive impact. I like that Panasonic is being so open and responsive about this camera, especially with Jans presence here.
 
footage please

footage please

How can I get a clone card of footage taken by the AF 100 so I can check the work flow in our edit rooms?
 
Nobody kowtowed. Nobody there was a sycophant. They don't bring us in to tell them what they're doing right, they bring us in to tell them how we work with the products and therefore they can design them to better suit the needs of the folks in the field. Where they got it right, we praised them. Where they got it wrong, we told them. As to what will change in the units between now and Dec. 27th, that's in their hands. All I know is that as of the time we had to hand the cameras back at the end of the test, they pretty much had to pry them from our fingers. And that's with the full understanding that this isn't an Alexa, it's not the single greatest thing since sliced bread, it's not a noiseless instant-blockbuster-making magic box. It's just a pretty special, very good, downright excellent $4995 shallow-DOF video/cinematography camcorder. And we all want one. A lot.

There you go, just like I said, the pros pro hard at work. Thank you Barry et all for your great work. The future is just beginning.
 
There was extensive feedback given. Much of today was spent in feedback to the engineers, and getting their responses, and laying out the priorities of things we would like improved. I think everyone there was unanimous in their assessment of the AF100 -- it's not perfect, but for the price it's a steal and an incredible offering. We were all very happy with what we saw. And we all understand that you're only going to get so much, and go so far, at a $4995 price point, and keeping that in context, we felt Panasonic's hit the nail pretty squarely on the head. And we offered a lot of feedback on what we'd like to see changed in this model (if possible) or added to some future model whenever such a thing might be on the agenda.

Nobody kowtowed. Nobody there was a sycophant. They don't bring us in to tell them what they're doing right, they bring us in to tell them how we work with the products and therefore they can design them to better suit the needs of the folks in the field. Where they got it right, we praised them. Where they got it wrong, we told them. As to what will change in the units between now and Dec. 27th, that's in their hands. All I know is that as of the time we had to hand the cameras back at the end of the test, they pretty much had to pry them from our fingers. And that's with the full understanding that this isn't an Alexa, it's not the single greatest thing since sliced bread, it's not a noiseless instant-blockbuster-making magic box. It's just a pretty special, very good, downright excellent $4995 shallow-DOF video/cinematography camcorder. And we all want one. A lot.
Did the engineers give you any hinting of possible upgrade like hvx200 to hvx200a
 
Everyone on the forum, however, has the right to speak up when they see something they like and when they see something they don't like. Not speaking won't fix anything. Speaking might. So I try.
People who have something to contribute, are encouraged to do so. But there's a whole world of difference between calling a woman a "fox" and calling her a "dog", even if a fox and a dog are both 3-letter words that mean a 4-legged canine.

It isn't the opinions that are causing a problem. It's the total lack of civility and respect and basic decency. That's what is ruining the ability to even have a discussion. And that's what we're not going to put up with.

It ain't what someone says, it's how they say it. And if anyone has a problem with that, they're invited to leave now, and the whole "don't let the door hit you on the way out" thing applies.

For the rest of us, we encourage and look forward to respectful, polite, intelligent debate and q&a. Thanks for understanding.
 
Did the engineers give you any hinting of possible upgrade like hvx200 to hvx200a

Obviously they were listening to everything we said and they acknowledged that if they couldn't accomplish something we wanted on this model, they'd look at incorporating it into some future model. But your question is akin to asking a pregnant woman when she's going to have her next baby, before the first one's even delivered. Nobody wants to even think about the next model yet, they're still burning the midnight oil to launch this one.
 
Obviously they were listening to everything we said and they acknowledged that if they couldn't accomplish something we wanted on this model, they'd look at incorporating it into some future model. But your question is akin to asking a pregnant woman when she's going to have her next baby, before the first one's even delivered. Nobody wants to even think about the next model yet, they're still burning the midnight oil to launch this one.

some pregnant women have twins ;-)


but yes...well where's vitaly did he get banned or something?? i haven't heard from him in ages. this guy can single handedly solve all problems with AF100 and turn into true red killer. come on vitali give us 50mbps AF100 ACVHD!!! :)
 
Thanks for understanding.

Absolutely, Barry. I hope what I've said has been taken as civil, respectful, and responsible. I try to be fairly objective in my posts - and when I know I have favoritism I can't ignore I make it known.

I do think people should be free to put up their critiques, but there should be a rationality to it. An understanding of the vast mitigating circumstances of what we are seeing, the situation it was captured under, and the method of presentation. And of course, it does not do anyone good to simply label things negatively (or positively, for that matter) without some form of reasoning. And personal attacks. Well, what needs to be said.


If anyone took offense to something I said, I sincerely apologize. It was certainly not intended.
 
Barry you all did a great job, I think while you were in Japan Sony through a curve ball in London with the announcement of the Sony PMW-F3 and here on DVXuser the discussion of the new sony camera was held in the AF100 forum instead of on the Sony XDCam EX forum. The talk of the new Sony camera was even moved from the "Sony XDCam EX forum" to here, this may have add to the comments getting a little out of hand. In the future maybe when new cameras aimed at different markets come out we should not have the discussion in the same forum.
 
i don't see how the sony announcement has anthing to do with AF100. the camera is like 20 to 27k to my knowledge it's no where even in the same price league and the specs are not that impressive at all. 17500 red one nonMX will blow away that 30k clunker!
 
Barry you all did a great job, I think while you were in Japan Sony through a curve ball in London with the announcement of the Sony PMW-F3 and here on DVXuser the discussion of the new sony camera was held in the AF100 forum instead of on the Sony XDCam EX forum. The talk of the new Sony camera was even moved from the "Sony XDCam EX forum" to here, this may have add to the comments getting a little out of hand. In the future maybe when new cameras aimed at different markets come out we should not have the discussion in the same forum.

I have to agree with all of that - I'd love to see it put somewhere more fitting.

Edit: Though one particular thread has some pretty interesting banter at the end. This forum can be a great place to learn from some of the top minds in the industry.
 
Last edited:
i don't see how the sony announcement has anthing to do with AF100. the camera is like 20 to 27k to my knowledge it's no where even in the same price league and the specs are not that impressive at all. 17500 red one nonMX will blow away that 30k clunker!

I think the S35mm sensor and the PL mount got people's attention. And I believe they released MSRP at ~$16,000.00 USD.

Agreed, though. Very different camera, very different price bracket, no need to get all in a tizzy comparing the two.
 
I think the S35mm sensor and the PL mount got people's attention. And I believe they released MSRP at ~$16,000.00 USD.

Agreed, though. Very different camera, very different price bracket, no need to get all in a tizzy comparing the two.

i thought they basically said it's an EX1 with a large sensor and PL mount. ex1 is pretty good but nothing impressive for 20-30k$
 
i thought they basically said it's an EX1 with a large sensor and PL mount. ex1 is pretty good but nothing impressive for 20-30k$

i think its the sensor that makes a difference. I wouldnt doubt it will look superb at $16k.
I dont doubt in sony producing crappy cameras.. just overpriced ones :P
 
i thought they basically said it's an EX1 with a large sensor and PL mount. ex1 is pretty good but nothing impressive for 20-30k$

Well, I actually think it will see some fairly serious cinema use as B-cam for F35 and Alexa (and probably RED, too, thought the price makes me wonder). I believe the inclusion of dual-link HD-SDI and 3G-SDI that provide up to 10-bit 880Mbs 4:4:4 out to a recorder makes it pretty attractive to a certain set of users. Built in support for 3D synch doesn't hurt either.
 
Back
Top