Some footage...please!

I'd really like to open it in an NLE...

Edit: I can watch it in quicktime, I can watch it in VLC...I just can't edit it in anything.

Edit: I'm not going to bother.
 
Last edited:
Looks great! I really think the dynamic range is beyond my expectations.
There's a stuck green pixel in the top right quadrant. :)
 
Thanks for the sample file. I was able to view this using Toast Video Player. However Voltaic can't convert it to anything - it gives an error:

"Unsupported Video File: The video contains an unsupported audio codec." Not sure what that is all about. Software on the AF100?

That issue aside, the resolution looks plenty to me, I couldn't see any aliasing, and considering this is a fairly high contrast shot, the latitude looks to be pretty empowered.
 
Barry,

The footage looks very clean. The man in the shot is wearing a suit jacket with a herringbone pattern. No aliasing or moire at all.
 
I know you asked us not to pixel peep, but does anyone know whats going on towards the end of the clip on the back of the Man's jacket when Barry pulls out to the wider shot? I can't tell if that is noise or what, but it kind of looks like it's vibrating.

The dynamic range does look promising. The trees in the background would have been most likely blown out on my GH1 or T2i (or at least more blown out than they are here). Did you change any of the settings on the camera to achieve this or were you only allowed to use the camera as is?

Thanks for providing us with some footage.
 
Last edited:
I know you asked us not to pixel peep, but does anyone know whats going on towards the end of the clip on the back of the Man's jacket when Barry pulls out to the wider shot? I can't tell if that is noise or what, but it kind of looks like it's vibrating.

The dynamic range does look promising. The tress in the background would have been most likely blown out on my GH1 or T2i (or at least more blown out than they are here). Did you change any of the settings on the camera to achieve this or were you only allowed to use the camera as is?

Thanks for providing us with some footage.

I think that's the lens maintaining focus. My 14-140 does that sometimes on my gh1.
 
I know you asked us not to pixel peep, but does anyone know whats going on towards the end of the clip on the back of the Man's jacket when Barry pulls out to the wider shot? I can't tell if that is noise or what, but it kind of looks like it's vibrating.

I'm looking at this on a 23" cinema display and don't notice that at all. Maybe it's the player you're using. I'm using the Toast player and it looks amazing. Clean herringbone!!

Thanks for posting, Barry. This is shaping up to be everything I'd hoped for and more.
 
Nothing I have (FCP 7.0.2, Premiere 4.2.1) will play this natively - am I missing something here?

The clip is about 39 seconds long. The trial version of ClipWrap2.1 will transcode clips up to 1 minute long.

The original mts file is 105 megabytes; unwrapped to h.264, it's 108 megabytes, and transcoded to pro res HQ, it's 895 megabytes.

No sound on it. I don't know if Barry recorded sound.
 
I got (by accident) RAW material from the 75%-modell A100 and it played without any problem in Premiere CS5.
But the AVCHD to P2 transcoder from Panasonic didn't manage to convert the material to DVCPROHD
 
Yeah, I am watching it in toast player and I see the stuck bright green pixel as well. It's in the top right throughout the whole clip. Its on the big dark green leaf. It kinda flickers.
Thoughts?

This also looks like 1080/60p? Am I mistaken?
 
I runned this clip in CS5 Premiere native and to the left of his head during the zoom out there is some mud issues or codec breakup. I can see this clearly stepping through frame by frame. His glasses gets a bit of the old mud issue. Some sort of moire in the lower right corner were he has a bag. And last it's a bit harsch on the super bright green leaves in the top left corner due to the strong sun.
 
Yeah, the stuck pixel is a concern. I really like the colours here. It would bew impossible to get anything near this clean with my 550D.

I also can see the strange patterning in his coat once the shot has zoomed out. Also on the blown out part of the bar in the middle of the frame. Something funky there.

Thanks for the clip, barry!
 
Viewing program matters

Viewing program matters

I just watched Barry's man drawing footage on Windows Media Player and was underwhelmed (full screen on 1080P monitor),it appeared to contrasty and digitally sharpened; then for the heck of it opened it in Media Player Classic on the same monitor, and it looked way better, no contrast or sharpening issues. Just a warning to those drawing conclusions based on the first program that opens it.
 
When watching this test footage, did anyone notice an old man sitting in the park while sketching on his notepad? Just curious. Notice how he was wearing some fabric tubes on his forearms so that the drawing wouldn't foul up his shirt sleeves. Here is a guy who got up today, put on a nice suit, gathered a handful of supplies in his bag and went out to capture nature with a pencil. Japan seems like a nice place to live.

Remember, the story is what matters guys. Overall, the image is awesome.
 
Back
Top