Smaller Odyssey 7q??

Steve-O

Active member
I know this may not appeal to everybody, but could there be any chance Convergent Design could develop an odyssey 7q the size of a nanoflash recorder. I love the monitor on the 7q but find it unwieldly on the fs700 for run and gun shooting. I have yet to see a rig of the fs700 and odyssey 7q that I like for all shooting environments. I would much rather have an evf. Although probably not possible for several reasons, but It would be even cooler if it could fit in the bay that was made for the Sony HXR-FMU128. CF2.0 cards could replace the ssds to bring the size down.
 
I know this may not appeal to everybody, but could there be any chance Convergent Design could develop an odyssey 7q the size of a nanoflash recorder. I love the monitor on the 7q but find it unwieldly on the fs700 for run and gun shooting. I have yet to see a rig of the fs700 and odyssey 7q that I like for all shooting environments. I would much rather have an evf. Although probably not possible for several reasons, but It would be even cooler if it could fit in the bay that was made for the Sony HXR-FMU128. CF2.0 cards could replace the ssds to bring the size down.

I would actually like this idea too, but I am guessing that it would
be hard to have the processing power needed and heat
dissipation needed in a small package.
 
I agree, the 7q can feel unwieldy when it's just a cine arm holding it. What I'd actually like is a 4k recorder without the screen that can go in a backpack or something like that so I can just handhold hold the A7s, or whatever camera, and have confidence that it's being backed up in 4k.
 
Thanks for the suggestions, and feel free to keep them coming. We are always looking at opportunities and possibilities. And we do listen.
 
I agree, the 7q can feel unwieldy when it's just a cine arm holding it. What I'd actually like is a 4k recorder without the screen that can go in a backpack or something like that so I can just handhold hold the A7s, or whatever camera, and have confidence that it's being backed up in 4k.

I'd love to see this, something like the size of the Atomos Ninja star-just 4k ;)
 
I agree, the 7q can feel unwieldy when it's just a cine arm holding it. What I'd actually like is a 4k recorder without the screen that can go in a backpack or something like that so I can just handhold hold the A7s, or whatever camera, and have confidence that it's being backed up in 4k.

+1 Even if and when a 4K A7s comes out, if there is a small 4K recorder that is cheaper than upgrading, it should sell well. Also, please do not skimp out on features. 1080p Hdmi to SDI loop-thru would be welcome like the Blackmagic Video Assist. Make it affordable and beat everyone out off the gate.
 
Last edited:
A recorder and a monitor are not really one product at all imo.

07q as a 8cm metal cube recording and driving many other monitors evfs or whatever.
 
To expand on the above a little...

I respect what CD have done and the functions they have brought to many cameras especially the FS700.

Their tool is super useful for many cameras and many future cameras.. but the form factor is to me just not realistic for a RnG camera.

Now a Vlock size block .. maybe with a Vlock link on it, would start to have the form we see in the F55 and Red extension boxes.. this could then hook to a studio monitor or an EVF.. or both.

--

Right now my interest is in the BMC micro or IO4k - Id love a recorder to go with them - a base unit - and Id also love it to have a Vlock on, loads of power taps out and also XLRs in..

Yes I would like a small 'confidence' monitor on it because I hate using a recorder (my shuttle) with no actual picture confirmation - but only a 3in confidence monitor.

Edit..
Actually the Cameraless Ursa with SDI inputs shrunk in the wash!

Or a modular stystem with addable (stack, click clunk, like the varicam back section)
-image recorder
-XRL box 2 channel
-XKR box 4channel
-TimeCode box
-Lav receiver box
-radio Remote receiver box
-hyperlapse positioning box
-wifi transmitter box
-satphone upload box (!)


S
 
Last edited:
I would be happy to buy one too!,I just got the Q+ and i love it,i have also the nano flash and would like to have same functionality as the nanoflash plus prores in a small monitor like the Odyssey Q+, and for me it doesn't even have to record 4k! but I guess it's important for many people these days!
I do like the idea of a smaller monitor :-)
 
Data, sound and power.. what a fookin mess..

If I get an SI 2k this will be the base station (and the sound file will be seperate from the image file)

mess.jpg
 
On my last shoot with C500 and Odyssey 7Q+ (a product I love, btw), we had to secure the Odyssey with TWO cine arms. (the one we rented used Anton Bauer batteries, but I've had it start to swing around even with lighter-weight Sony batteries on another rental). Maybe this is more on the camera/rig manufacturers, but what I'd like is for the Odyssey to feel integrated into the shooting platform rather than a bolted-on device. Would L-shaped cables help? The Odyssey's unique quality is that it can take any camera and turn it into a RAW/ProRes beast -- perfect insurance against camera manufacturers, and it's a better monitor, to boot. It's already great in studio/controlled environments. The next step is making it just as comfortable in the field.
 
+1

I would love a smaller solution for the a7s, and even the fs700. Or a solution that is 2 parts... the monitor/evf part and the recorder, so you can mount the recorder in the back but still have better monitoring than stock evf/screens.
 
+1, the O7Q+ is a just a little too large for gimbals and the A7s.

A record only block with an HDMI pass through would be ideal. Then you have a choice of EVF/Monitor or whatever you need.

The Pix 5E is a possibility, but even so, something smaller would be nice. The BMD monitor appears to take a UHD input and possibly downscale, although i'm not sure whether the scaling is any good, might just be a throw half the image away scale.

Of course a module that compresses and streams 4K ProRes wirelessly to a record module would be super cool. If various wireless options can stream uncompressed HD then in theory compressed 4K ProRes should be doable too. That would be very flexible. A wireless monitor, recorder, follow focus - perfect.

cheers
Paul
 
CD, if this does somehow come to fruition please keep the LUT support that is on the 7Q. Hopefully it could be the exact same firmware as the 7q so when updates are done it would be for both devices. I am obliviously no engineer but it seems it would be feasible to simply change the recording media from SSD to CF 2.0, remove the monitor components, then repackage the rest in a brick. A cheap touchscreen on the outside to change menu items would be nice but honestly if there is a usb plug or some form of connectivity, a cell phone could be used to change settings and used as a confidence monitor. I know wifi plans were scraped from the 7q, so this "mini 7q" does not need to have it either.

I would think the sooner the better that this comes out, with all these other 4k cams starting to pop up. I think a recorder like this could be a big hit for CD for a long time. Even for the BM Ursa you could record RAW on the camera and a LUT applied 4k prores version on your "mini 7q" for dailies and offline editing.
 
+1 i'm all for a smaller solution. It's the only thing that is putting me off buying one next year. I am waiting to see how much of a price drop I get on the FS7 where i'll sell my FS700. Otherwise I want to keep my FS700 and pick up a Odyssey. I wish you can make a lighter / smaller unit.
 
Last edited:
What I think would be a pretty great idea for this, is if the recorder could be designed and mounted like the tascam audio units, below a gh4/a7s. That way, you have more or less a large handgrip below the camera, and the rest of the low profile advantages are still there, with nothing sitting on the hot-shoe mount. It would also greatly open it up to gimbal work, mounted the same way, and then just use a small monitor for framing. As it stands, having the shogun or 7Q+ on the ronin top handle is pretty unwieldy.
 
What I think would be a pretty great idea for this, is if the recorder could be designed and mounted like the tascam audio units, below a gh4/a7s. That way, you have more or less a large handgrip below the camera

Thats a great idea too, It would be nice to see the recorder repackaged in a few different ways. If they could get it light enough it could also up the drone game too.
 
What I think would be a pretty great idea for this, is if the recorder could be designed and mounted like the tascam audio units, below a gh4/a7s. That way, you have more or less a large handgrip below the camera, and the rest of the low profile advantages are still there, with nothing sitting on the hot-shoe mount. It would also greatly open it up to gimbal work, mounted the same way, and then just use a small monitor for framing. As it stands, having the shogun or 7Q+ on the ronin top handle is pretty unwieldy.
+1000
That would be absolutely great. Would be nice if this would take batteries as well and you could power up your camera from this. Basically a grip on steroids.
 
Back
Top