GH2 Silver GH2's, happy with your choice of colour?

MR Fanny

Veteran
A very stray thread but i live in australia and i cannot for the life of me see a silver gh2 in person. they have them at the store but won't get it out of the box for me to see.....its like asking to buy a red car before seeing what red it is. I mean the black is safe, its nice and standard, but the silver body really intrigues me.

so to all you silver gh2 owners, did panasonic pull of the colour well? does it look classy or more toyish? does it pull off the metal look or sprayed plastic? even better, is there anyone in melbourne Australia thats willing to let me perve at their silver gh2 for a bit over the coming weekend?

thanks.
 
Yes, my silver GH2 looks good, but it's more of a shiny gray color than silver. It blends well with the gray tones of Lumix lenses.

However, the GH2 does look and feel like a toy, due to being so small and light. Don't worry about it though, the GH2 looks quite purposeful once mounted to a serious video rig. With large lenses, I prefer to mount them directly to the tripod or rig base-plate, using a rotating lens collar. That allows me to treat the GH2 like an interchangeable camera back screwed into the rear of the lens.
 
so to all you silver gh2 owners, did panasonic pull of the colour well? does it look classy or more toyish? does it pull off the metal look or sprayed plastic? even better, is there anyone in melbourne Australia thats willing to let me perve at their silver gh2 for a bit over the coming weekend?

I had my eyes on the black, but ended up getting the silver because that was all that was available.
It looks really good. There's just enough black trim on the body to give it a balanced look. It does not look toyish or cheap.
If I had to decide between the two again, I would go for the silver.
 
Just know that the HD lend 14-140mm does not come in silver. If you don't mind about that, get the silver.
I wanted the silver but I wanted the HD lens more so I got the Black.
All in all, it makes the same kind of images and the black looks more like a canon only smaller, which i stood for the clients. Also I Taped the LUMIX logo in the front of the viewfinder/flash.
 
Just know that the HD lend 14-140mm does not come in silver. If you don't mind about that, get the silver.
I wanted the silver but I wanted the HD lens more so I got the Black.

The lenses don't need to match silver with the silver body.
There's enough black on the GH2 silver body that a black lens only compliments it.
 
i got a silver body because thats all i could find available at the time and i didnt really have a preference. im definitely happy with it, i think its sexy.
 
thanks everyone. Im upgrading from a black gh1 so i've got my lens collection already sorted =)

sometimes looking like a toy is a good thing, especially at concerts where they check for canons or nikons to ban.

tommyp- in that photo the silver looks pretty wow next to the black....quite a convincing sell that pic.

agreed on the great choice in breaking up the silver with the old school black grip. it didnt really grow on me that new grip on the black untill i saw it on the silver. i think ive made up my mind now =) gonna change things up this time round. thanks guys

just a quick confirmation that i am able to swap jap menu to english with the new ptools correct?

cheers.
 
Last edited:
Are you getting it from the Taiwanese ebay seller??? ... I've bought 2 GH1's from him and they got to Australia withim days...


I'm holding out on the GH2... not sure it's the best choice right now for Pal users...


GH3 might be what we need...


Cheers
 
i cant imagine really caring what color my camera is. people are just silly.

understandable, though asthetics is my profession and its something i find very hard to ignore =) even with black, theres black and then theres BLACK lol.

Are you getting it from the Taiwanese ebay seller??? ... I've bought 2 GH1's from him and they got to Australia withim days...


I'm holding out on the GH2... not sure it's the best choice right now for Pal users...


GH3 might be what we need...


Cheers

yeah. there are two players in taiwan now. i got my second gh1 body from one that arrived within days too. i hope this other seller will prove the same. I shoot more in 720 so its not so bad. im just hoping for a firmware update that will include 25p but its not essential for me. I had planned on holding out abit longer until a hack was possible to up the 720 bitrate and now it is. that and no banding + ETC and a euro trip =)

everytime facebook pana posts a lumix topic, im first to nag them about 25p.
 
I had gotten a silver GH2 because it was the first available to me. I was a little disappointed it wasn't "standard" black at first, but the silver grew on my and I really like it now. Feels more unique in a way.
 
Bolt enough stuff on and no one will even notice the color of the body.
I'm fine with my silver Japanese model (grabbed it for $599 with 14-42 lens from a fellow DVXuser, THANK YOU Martin!!).
Especially now that Vitaliy has given me English menus and 65mbps :)

GH2_Rig.jpg
 

Attachments

  • GH2_Rig.jpg
    GH2_Rig.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 0
Bolt enough stuff on and no one will even notice the color of the body.
I'm fine with my silver Japanese model (grabbed it for $599 with 14-42 lens from a fellow DVXuser, THANK YOU Martin!!).
Especially now that Vitaliy has given me English menus and 65mbps :)

GH2_Rig.jpg

What kind of cage is that? It looks awesome!
 
It's the shamelessly-named Shrigg Jig that I designed a few months ago. They are now being manufactured in the USA by indisystem and sell for $99.
They're still somewhat undiscovered but at that price it should become the industry standard GH2 cage. (There's also a larger one for 5D Mark II and others)

Here is the thread with all the info, comments are welcome! Shrigg Jig Production Cage
 
Back
Top