Should we talk about the films?

I'd way rather see films discussed then votes per film shown... really either one could swing the balance for somebody either way. What difference does it make if people see a lot of buzz on a film or see a lot of votes? Either way that film benefits from the snowball effect.

Okay that said I don't think it would affect me EITHER way... so being the selfish git that I am I say do whatever the consensus is.

And regarding the 12 hour fest with people bringing in shills... well in Saint Louis we have this local show that's like American Idol and it's the same deal... you can see a girl up there that's hot as hell and laying it down... and then some big mama gets up there and throws out some tired old song we've heard a million times and guess who wins? Yeah, stupid isn't it. Well the great thing about **** like that is it always eventually dies on it's own anyway! Because people don't have any respect for contests that are ran like that... and eventually there's no talent showing up... and then you know what's left? "No-Talent" showing up... and the audience staying home.
 
In the case of these films I would hope that most users would be interested in genuine feedback and constructive comments than the outcome of any voting. Just my opinion.
 
I'd love to blab about ALL of them! I'm DYING to talk about other films AND my own.

For me it's not so much about "you did this right" or whatever... it's more about "what were you guys thinking when you did THAT"... or "who is that guy... where did you find him?"

"That looked like fun"... "what's that Elvis shaped blood stain on your shirt?"
 
I really want to hear feedback. I've been so impressed so far with the exception of my own, which is turning out to be just crap... Utter and complete crap.
 
Dude... I'll tell you right now that for the next contest I'm coming out of the chute bucking like a mofo... I am so pissed at myself I'm sick over it.

Honestly I haven't watched your flick yet... but it's on deck after the one that's downloading now.

For better or worse isn't it cool having everybody watch everybody else's stuff? I couldn't sleep last night and I'll probably stay up too late tonight also!

The sheer energy of this much action/traffic/etc will definitely have me preparing pretty hard core next time.

I hope we didn't drain out our prize connection 'cause I got it narrowed down to a few people who I expect to get the stuff I wanted! (so far)
 
You must not have watched my flick...

Today (after spending 8 hours doing laundry, which is still going on) and cleaning (who knew that you were supposed to clean the tub more than once a year) a bunch of us got together to watch zombie films. We watched all the WMV files today and everyone who had seen mine had said 'yeah its good' then we compared and we all agreed it was $hit.

I'm disappointed in myself, but at the same time, I'm happy that I started something and completed it.

I at least have a whole list of things that I know I could improve upon, #1 being 'move the damned camera'.

Oh well...
 
re: Discussing the films

re: Discussing the films

in the past, everyone just started discussing all the films. Even though I asked everyone to vote before reading the reviews--my request was frequently ignored. Human nature, I guess, like whatever you do *don't* open that box while I'm gone. :) The negative side of this is that you have some strong personalities that tend to "annoint" the winners and then lot's of people jump on the bandwagon. On the plus side, talking about the films while they're fresh in everyone's minds makes a lot of sense.

Then there's the issue of format.

One big review thread -- easy to find, crazy to read.

Seventy-nine separate threads -- no f***ing way

A series of alphabetized threads (A-K, L-S, etc) -- I have a hard time believing anyone will stick to this and it doesn't seem much better than the all-in-one thread.

Custom comment system--It would be ideal if the voting system had a comments field and you could click on a film and get the comments spit out. Something for the future maybe.

Any other ideas?
 
Barry_S said:
A series of alphabetized threads (A-K, L-S, etc) -- I have a hard time believing anyone will stick to this and it doesn't seem much better than the all-in-one thread.
Volunteer some new moderators to keep things tidy, but overall people will stick to this because it means an organized way for people to talk about each other's films. It might seem like a lot of threads, but it's intuitive ("I want to comment about film X, go to X's thread").

79 threads is MUCH better than one thread where we're trying to discuss 79 films!!!

This works out fine in the "Post your Screen Grabs/Videos" section of the site. Can you imagine having just one thread for that? Anyway those are my thoughts. :)
 
Man this whole zombie thing sure is nuts isn't it? Wow... it's a whole new world for everybody! That had to be nuts to be Jarred or Barry and watch 83 films come in (or 79... whatever... that's still a million compared to normal).

I know if we were allowed to have threads on our individual films I'd have a ton of BTS and short clips I'd want to post (and host myself)... just because I think the stories surrounding the movies are probably more interesting then the movies themselves. I know that's the case with mine... seeing a motley crew of morons trying to throw something together would have been better then seeing the end result.

Half of my group wanted me to cut a "this is what we did" instead of what we did. If the contest was 10 minutes then I may have actually done that.

So anyway... even though I can play Devil's Advocate and suggest a lot of reasons for us to NOT discuss the films... I really can't wait to completely uncork the whole works.

I'm one of the guys who wants to give you a lot of bloopers and BTS... and I really think you'd enjoy it. I'm hoping everybody has some of this stuff!

I've been watching a few flicks at a stretch... and then wondering how they did certain special effects... and what everybody thought at the time... or maybe at the first moment when everyone saw a realistic blood splatter... we had some high emotions and comic relief throughout our project... and I'm hoping you guys all did too!
 
Comments as it works in Triggerstreet work really good. You can only see/leave a comment after you have voted for that film. That means that in this system, whenever we see the red notice, telling us we already voted, it could lead us to a review page. Maybe for the next festival, and maybe with a smaller number of entries!
 
That's another good point Matt - having individual threads let the filmmakers post photos, BTS, etc (after the voting process). Many people are going to do that anyway, so it might as well be orderly.
 
Does everyone realize that if you had comments on 50 films, you'd have to go to 50 threads. And you'd have to keep up with 79 threads? I see 75 dead threads and 4 threads with active discussions.
 
I agree. It'd be nice for each person to leave comments for EVERYONE but I can guarantee that isn't how it would go down. Getting 79 crits and comments would be a dream come true for each of us, because that's how we really grow as filmmakers, but some people just don't/won't take the time to do such things.
 
I have 13 minute behind the scenes video waiting to be broadcast via dvxuser when the voting is done. It's sorta..a mockup of a hbo special of scripture.. hehe, kinda silly but it shows alot of our experience on set and us working together.

I'm down for whatever happens. I think we should go ahead and do the discussing while its fresh in everyones head, I know theres alot of people waiting to hear about what people have to say about their films. Its the beauty of this contest!
 
I agree with Barry in that if we had 79 threads there would be 76 dead threads and three with active discussions.

I think the most balanced system would mostly likely be an alpha split, but instead of Alpha in the first post just list the 10 films that will be discussed in that thread. It is kind of like an individual discussion but still gets that personalized attention. This way you have eight threads going on (fits on one page) and still is managable and readable.

One thread would be a nightmare. Having 10 per thread, well that makes it doable, plus anyone can take an hour out of there day, grind through 10 films and actively partake in the discussion in that thread. Would be fun.
 
TheYankee said:
I agree with Barry in that if we had 79 threads there would be 76 dead threads and three with active discussions.

I think the most balanced system would mostly likely be an alpha split, but instead of Alpha in the first post just list the 10 films that will be discussed in that thread. It is kind of like an individual discussion but still gets that personalized attention. This way you have eight threads going on (fits on one page) and still is managable and readable.

One thread would be a nightmare. Having 10 per thread, well that makes it doable, plus anyone can take an hour out of there day, grind through 10 films and actively partake in the discussion in that thread. Would be fun.

I agree...alphabetize it....that would be manageable.
 
Back
Top