short documerical about Aquaponics in Hawaii

averan

Well-known member
gh13 using 'fast-action' patch at 720_30p 1/30th w/ Lumix 20mm @ f1.7 and Lumix 14-140mm and FaderND.

Shot mostly handheld except for the interviews. Sound is from Sennheiser mke-400 recorded in-camera.

This was my first real field test with the camera and an experiment to see how little gear I really needed to get the job done. The video is a soft-sell documercial to promote the classes and services of the husband-wife team and not meant to explain the basics of what Aquaponics is.

One lesson I learned from this experience was that I can err on the side of underexposing in bright daylight as the lcd brightness tends to be darker than what is actually recorded.

Any feedback is much appreciated! :happy:

 
gh13 using 'fast-action' patch at 720_30p 1/30th w/ Lumix 20mm @ f1.7 and Lumix 14-140mm and FaderND.

Shot mostly handheld except for the interviews. Sound is from Sennheiser mke-400 recorded in-camera.

This was my first real field test with the camera and an experiment to see how little gear I really needed to get the job done. The video is a soft-sell documercial to promote the classes and services of the husband-wife team and not meant to explain the basics of what Aquaponics is.

One lesson I learned from this experience was that I can err on the side of underexposing in bright daylight as the lcd brightness tends to be darker than what is actually recorded.

Any feedback is much appreciated! :happy:


Great shots. I really like the this piece. One thing that I did notice is that things seemed to be way over sharpened for my taste. Not sure if it was just me...

Nonetheless, was a lot of fun to watch. Thanks for posting!
 
I liked it - lots of nice B roll and I was surprised how well the sound came out. I probably would've liked a tiny bit more talking head vs b-roll ratio. Overall very nice!
 
yeah, i agree. i wouldn't sharpen so much next time. i used my standard post-processing settings from my hmc150 days which creates a softer image than the gh1.
 
I liked it - lots of nice B roll and I was surprised how well the sound came out. I probably would've liked a tiny bit more talking head vs b-roll ratio. Overall very nice!
so was I! =) all the locations were VERY noisy, but the little micro shotgun did a great job of picking out voices. thanks for the suggestion about a:b-roll ratios....i'll certainly keep that in mind.
 
I saw Diamond Head in the airplane shot, but is this place actually on the Big Island? I'll be in Hawai'i on Friday and would like to visit this place. Well-produced video!

e
 
yes, it's on the big island. about 5 miles south of Honokaa or 45 minutes north of Hilo.
PM me and I can send you some more info about them and some other Aquaponics farms. Their website is www.friendlyaquaponics.com
thanks for the feedback. =)
 
Great Video with great content. Quite inspiring people, which always helps. I thought it looked nice, but mostly I thought it was well edited and told a story very well - good structure! You should be proud of this one.
 
Great Video with great content. Quite inspiring people, which always helps. I thought it looked nice, but mostly I thought it was well edited and told a story very well - good structure! You should be proud of this one.
glad you enjoyed it as much as I do....and I'm pretty darn critical of my own work! :)
 
Very nicely done and great content! liked it a lot! in the beginning the off voice was a bit disturbing until he was online and in sync but overall very well done gorillastyle and handheld!!!
 
yeah, sorry. he actually had his eyes closed until the very frame that I show him! I thought that would've been even more disturbing. ;)
I love shooting handheld, it is so liberating, so I used this video as a test to see if I could make a decent video mostly handheld. The interviews were all shot on a tripod though, with the Lumix 20mm at f1.7. I don't think I could pull off handheld shots without the OIS of the Lumix 14-140mm....I didn't even try.
 
Hi Averan, I am the guy who bought your HMC150 (which I love by the way). I liked your little short, well done. I also recently bought a GH1 and hacked it. I wanted to get the shallow DOF with that to complement the 150 look. So far so good. Keep at it..John
 
Hi Averan, I am the guy who bought your HMC150 (which I love by the way). I liked your little short, well done. I also recently bought a GH1 and hacked it. I wanted to get the shallow DOF with that to complement the 150 look. So far so good. Keep at it..John
Good to hear from ya John!
I haven't been into the hmc forums much since then....glad to hear the combo is working well for you. I always felt they would pair up well!
 
glad you enjoyed it as much as I do....and I'm pretty darn critical of my own work! :)

That's probably why your work's good :)

I really like the idea of a "soft sell documentary." I hate being sold things, but like being inspired by cool people.
 
That's probably why your work's good :)

I really like the idea of a "soft sell documentary." I hate being sold things, but like being inspired by cool people.

I totally agree and I know we're not alone in that opinion! Even scripted commercials are borrowing elements of documentary storytelling and amateur videography in order to appear more authentic. I like calling my promotional videos 'documercials', as they are definitely not just for entertainment and educational purposes, but neither are they shoving products down viewers' throats! All part of the trend of the democratization of video production I reckon. :)
 
I dont mind documercials as long as the content and the product are kewl and in this case they seem to be, so all kewl! Boy would I love to be in hawaii now! xmas greetings from freezing Berlin Germany.
 
Back
Top