F35: Shameless self-promotion, and a bit of F35 material

JMtheDP

Veteran
Hi guys

I caught on Youtube today a tiny behind-the-scenes from a film I shot two years ago on F35. It is due for release this summer.

I thought I would share this video, because it contains some nice ungraded F35 S-Log stuff, albeit in low res. Doing this kind of scene would have been hard on any camera, because we had people moving, I set a high shutter speed, pyro work and direct sunlight without any sort of softening or bounce all making life hard for the camera. But the F35 came through nicely. Enjoy ;)


For those interested, we used the F35, with Zeiss Standard Speed Mark IIs, Cinedeck Recorder at FS1 quality in Cineform codec. Tungsten balance with an 85B filter.
 
This is the "official trailer" for the film, you can see the grade is radically different in parts from the original footage:


The film changed post production house entirely after the trailer was released, the actual film looks a lot closer to the original material and is more or less where I wanted it to be. I hope to be able to share a little bit more when it is released
 
Nice one JM, did you shoot the BTS interviews with the F35 as well? The VFX look good, and the interior lighting rocked!


Broatch Berry

Venice CA
 
At first, I thought this was based on Sven Hassel's books, namely "Legion of the Damned".

But it's a horror flick instead.
 
The BTS interviews were not F35. I am trying to remember what camera it was, one of the smaller panasonics I believe.

Unfortunately in the film quite a bit of "second unit" material that I did not shoot made it in, luckily it is mostly quick cuts but the difference between the F35 and a garden variety camera is enormous, it was a fun shoot though and should make an entertaining B-Movie.
 
Reminds me of Dog Soldiers (2002) that was super 16. That had a really gritty texture.


Broatch Berry

Venice CA
 
Thanks Broatch. This is actually shot fairly clean, I believe they may be adding some grain to the final product - but the original footage was typical F35 daytime low noise.
 
Back
Top