SGPro Blade Flip + Hpx170 Review

OK - I want one for Christmas - but I "know nothing" about these things.

I have an HPX170 so could you tell me exactly what I have to order and where from? shoot35.com?? Also the bad news - how much will it cost my wife?

Also is the lens at right angles to the camera? Is that why it's called a flip?

I told you I know nothing about this!

OK - I want one for Christmas - but I "know nothing" about these things.

I have an HPX170 so could you tell me exactly what I have to order and where from? shoot35.com?? Also the bad news - how much will it cost my wife?

Also is the lens at right angles to the camera? Is that why it's called a flip?

I told you I know nothing about this!

don't run and place your order, read this forum more, and find out some more information about adapters... spend a week reading, so you would know how they work, what do you need, etc, there is plenty of information, and only then order...

Couple of Grabs from few recent projects.

13840_186458152411_588622411_2831980_1292834_n.jpg

13840_186458147411_588622411_2831979_6531479_n.jpg

13840_186458922411_588622411_2831985_223277_n.jpg

13840_180350012411_588622411_2792231_6457917_n.jpg

13840_180351232411_588622411_2792242_42518_n.jpg

They look great. Which 35mm setup are you using?

It would be interesting to see the same shots with the native camera minus the 35mm.

They look great. Which 35mm setup are you using?

It would be interesting to see the same shots with the native camera minus the 35mm.
Wouldn't be the same at all. May need to move camera forward or back depending on lens used I believe. Additionally you'll lose any depth of field unless you use zoom and wide open aperture "trick" to add some depth of field on a stock camera.

Would be interesting nonetheless to see if it effects colors, etc.

Very nice without any adapter too.

Luckystudio - what level of exposure do you aim for in your frame?

Can I ask generally - if I didn't go for a 35mm adapter kit just yet - is there perhaps another lens that you guys would recommend that would give even better pictures than the standard one (even though obviously as seen in the right hands that gives great results).

Last edited:
Your review almost makes me wish I didn't abandon adaptors (unfortunately, the market for them has dried up here). The Blade was the last adaptor I had and your experience is similar to mine. Here's how I sum it up:

- Blade build quality is excellent
- Sharp, but not as sharp as an Ultimate
- The X/Y and back focus adjustment are rock solid and easy to adjust
- Best low cost Nikon mount I've used to date - no jiggle whatsoever
- The mount in "Snorkel Down" is great. In "Snorkel Up" the threads weren't deep enough so I had to use washers to offset the distance. I tend to go snorkel up so it doesn't bump ino camera when balancing. In snorkel down with a front heavy rig, it'll bump into tripod.
- A low battery light would be helpful. Otherwise, you just change them prematurely out of paranoia.
- Most reliable adaptor I'd ever owned. No breakdowns, dust issues or power failures. This is a big deal because unreliability is what got me to jettison all my previous adaptors.
- Wayne's customer service is responsive and way above the rest of the adaptor world. Another deal breaker.

My only regret is we're seeing the sunset of adaptors. I hope Wayne "adapts" and comes out with other competition crushing products. My suggestions: low cost fully adjustable hand held support with ratcheting knobs (no one owns this market); Dual sided FF; A high quality MB that can go clip on or go with rods at a Red Rock price point; a better / cheaper slider with 100mm, 150mm and Mitchell mounts; etc.

I'm sure he's pondered many a product. I just like the way he does business and makes products and hope he keeps it going long after adaptors are gone.

omg, I'm having second thoughts about putting my adapter on the market...but I need a nanoflash.. errr. I know for certain adapters will be used on the 2/3 fixed scarlet and the SGblade is the only one I'd consider for it...

many people will probably only be able to afford the fixed...and by that time 35mm adapters will be cheap or people may already have one so it'll be free.. plus scarlet is pretty small as it is.. it won't be too bulky.

How do you mount a DOF adapter to a 2/3" B4 mount camera without a relay lens? The only solutions I know of for 2/3" are P+S Pro35 and Letus B4 Compact or Pro relay lens, which requires a Letus DOF adapter. These options are not cheap, the 35mm Scarlet makes more sense in many ways.

yeah, the interchangeable scarlet wouldn't make sense. The 2/3 fixed lens scarlet, which will most likey cost less than an ex1, comes with a zoom lens. so you won't need a relay.

Back