SGPro Blade Flip + Hpx170 Review

LuckyStudio 13

The Tapeless One
Just got the Blade in this morning. More to come when time permits. If you have specific questions regarding the setup or the blade. Fire away and we will try to find an answer.

blade.JPG

Blade1.JPG

Built Quality

Very very solidly made product, the built is comparable to the Letus Extreme and the Nikon stainless steel mount is way built better than the Nikon Mount on my ex- Letus Extreme. Only on my Nikon 108mm f1.8 which is extremely sticky (& require service) you can find the Nikon mount jiggle and move with the follow focus.

All the pieces fit extremely tight and snug together. Having owned & used the 1st generation Letus Extreme, the flimsy built quality of the adapter mount and the constant self loosening bolt had me apprehensive about getting a non "lunch box" rail mount system and wished I have waited for the new RedRock adapter, but all worries were set to rest as the SGPro mount is built way way better then the Letus Extreme's mount. The mount is built up to par to Zacuto's standard and you could've swear that it was built by Zacuto for SGPro. Most importantly, even with constant moving and lifting the camera, the mount does not buldge a mm and is attached to the adapter as solid as concrete. If you were like me, that worries about the integrity of a single bolt mount and wished SGPro would retain the lunchbox design, you can scratch that worry away as the new mount design is as solid as any rail "lunchbox" mount.

I also managed to put the entire setup into the Panasonic Porta Brace Shoulder bag so this mean no more assembling and disassembling the entire rig after every gig.

Motor Noise

One negative so far on the SGPro is the noise of the motor. It is Loud, and I dont remember my ex Letus Extreme or my ex Redrock M2 were ever being that noisy. The high level of noise is with the standard RR1.

With a typical Shotgun mic mounted on the cam, the cam definitely picks up the noise of the Blade's motor. In this case, we use the Sennheiser MKH-416 with the RR1 at Full Motor Speed and then once more with the Motor at Half Speed. The test sound clip will be uploaded soon.

The Blade with RR1 at full speed with a cam mounted Shotgun will definitely need some sound editing done to remove the noise of the motor. At half speed, the noise of the motor with RR1 is barely audible at all. <sound clip test will be uploaded soon>. RR2 motor noise will be in the next test agenda.

Blade2.JPG

The Hpx170 version of the adapter requires an extra spacer to be fitted onto the camera. This is to prevent the achromat from touching the cam's lens. Here you can see the extra 5mm spacer that goes into the cam's lens before connecting to the Red SgPro's ring. The packaging of the entire product is superb and very professional and impressive. The manual is printed on very nice paper and made into a nice little booklet.

<more to come>

Last edited:
SGPRO Blade Footage Test.

<Please right click and save the file to your computer>. Sorry but if our bandwidth is going skyrocket high, we will have to halt any future test. So please download the file to your computer for viewing.

This is just a quick test done today over sushi lunch with the Nikon 35mm f2 + RR1.
The camera is set to wide open and the first part of the test was f2 and the later was f5.6. Expect some not so perfect focus, as we did not have any proper monitoring aid. Everything was done spontaneously with just the on cam's lcd and a follow focus.

We were trying to test the CA on the adapter, that explains the supernova bright light coming in from the window. With my previous $8999 Canon 2/3" CAC Lens on the hpx500, a condition like that will summons Barney all over the footage.

http://www.ramjetfilms.com/lucky/35f2.mov

Indoor Scene with the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8
http://www.ramjetfilms.com/lucky/BladeTest/The%20Undeserving.mov

A quick 30 secs Trailer of the short
http://vimeo.com/3517424

<as usual more test to come with more lenses as time permits>.

Last edited:
One negative so far on the SGPro is the noise of the motor. It is Loud, and I dont remember my ex Letus Extreme or my ex Redrock M2 were ever being that noisy.

<more to come>

I'm guessing that you've got RR1 installed. RR1 can be noisier than RR2, in my experience. The RR1 can make a sort of buzzing sound at high speed. Something to do with it being glass as opposed to acrylic. When I installed the RR2 it was completely silent. In fact, I have to put my ear to the Blade to hear the RR2 motor.

Yes, the loud motor noise is with RR1. I will mount my shotgun mic to the cam and report back on how audible the noise is.

One quick footage was taken today during lunch. This is to test CA so we sat next to a giant window. Nothing much and non scientific because the Sushi was dang delicious.

The frame grabs look soft. Any backfocus issues.

Tell us how it performed. Ease of use. Picture quality. I found the build excellent the picture quailty good not great.

Is the blade on par with the edge sharpness of the SG Pro? The upgraded feature set is very promising but it seems people are skeptical of the performance of the RR2 vs the SG Pro.

Back