RED not so attractive

Why the sample pic they posted on their site was shot with a Canon 1D MkII? I'd like to see the real sample from the redcam.
 
... and I'd like to see a stat based on real-world achievable technology.

If it sounds too good to be true... I'm just praying I'm wrong.

Jason Rodriguez said:
I think you have to realize though, that even though the camera *may* be 15-35K (probably near the upper end of that), that the Mac itself, if those rumors are true on the FCP pricing, will be over $25K.

Easily $10K+ for a top-end Mac with a dual QuadroFX card in SLI mode . . . (didn't know the mac's supported SLI)

$10K for FCP Xtreme

$5-6K for that monitor.

So yes, overall a nice setup, and a big savings over an AVID system of something of that nature, but for DVX/HVX users who are used to paying maybe 5K-8K for a system max, that's sort of steep.

And of course if you have PC users, that have invested a lot of time and energy into their edit systems (such as XPress Pro, Vegas, etc.), then those people will have to ditch that for another $25K to get a suitable mac system to work with the Red camera (and hopefully there'll be lots of real-time effects/layers-but I would imagine so with all that GPU horsepower behind the wheel).

So just a quick price perspective here. Apple equipment isn't cheap, never has been. So even if the Red camera were FREE, that would still leave you $25K in the hole, unless you have a system like that right now . . . and I can tell you, even most Mac users don't have Quad G5's at home . . . they just came out.

Two words: Offline Editing.

I'm more concerned about the camera and aquisition. The real world can't be captured offline.
 
I will NEVER buy a Mac labeled hardware system!!!
I will however buy a system that runs nix OS or a Apple OS(Free BSD rip-off) ((why not Bill ripped every one))
 
calm the F down

calm the F down

Hey this is totally off topic, but does anybody remember that lame ass song by Frankie Goes to Hollywood that was a big hit back in the 80's?
 
Escargot said:
Why the sample pic they posted on their site was shot with a Canon 1D MkII? I'd like to see the real sample from the redcam.

That'd be kickass and all, but you may wanna note that it is somewhat of an impossibility considering that the RED camera is not made as of this moment.

Hence, no picture.
 
Escargot said:
Why the sample pic they posted on their site was shot with a Canon 1D MkII?

As it states on the site:
"The above frames are to be judged for size comparison only"

The still is not there for the image - but only to show the size of a 2540P frame in relation to 1080, 720 and 480.
 
Do You realy believe in Red Camera ???!!!!

Do You realy believe in Red Camera ???!!!!

I'm new on this forum but I'm expierienced in film and tv business. Last year I made a big performance on 5 screens simultauosly (50 meters long, 6 meters high)on the biggest World Exhibition EXPO 2005 in Aichi Japan. To obtain the best possible resolution (look at screen size) we had to shot on 35 mm.and HD.The trouble was that every take was shot simultanuosly on 3 to 5 connected cameras pointed to 3 sides.Finaly we've got a kind of giant cinerama motion picture that was shown in our paviolion using 8 Digital Projectors 10.000 ANSI each (that were joined together with a special software). People liked our show so we had 1.500.000 viewers. I had to write all that to point out that before EXPO we spent 1 year on finding and inventing the proper technology for our task. That is why I know that technology of Red Camera is a joke !!!! No company in the real world is capable of preparing camera with specified (on RED website) features. Building any new camera is so expensive that only very big companies can afford it. So company with only 1 active page showing 4 pictures of racing car and few lines of text (rest of the pages do not work) is realy funny jole.A guy who made it, took all Yours and mine wishes and dreams about smal super HD camera and made them as the main features. Clever and inteligent. That can be the "road map" to real companies what should they do to satisfy us. So I will have to wait to NAB but in 2012 to have all this and definitely from Panasonic, Sony, Canon,JVC but not from red eye smiling at You. Best wishes to all of You.
 
May want to run, Andrew. Run hard, run fast, and don't look back. I see pitchforks and torches over the hill heading your way. As for me, I've got popcorn...
 
"Nobody had told them that it couldn't be done. So they went ahead and did it."

Looking at my crystal ball, I see some tongue-biting looming... Ridicule used to kill, they say. Fortunately for some, not any more. :grin:
 
I don't think the RED camera is a hoax, but they might've underestimated the size of the job... Sometimes the last 5% will take twice the time of the initial 95% - if you get my drift.

A non-functioning version of the camera should be annonced at NAB2006, so it kinda sucks living in Denmark when I'd rather be in Vegas for the show. Since it's not a functioning version I'd bet that there's still a huge amount of work left for the RED crew before the product hits the shelves...

I took a look at the NAB2006 exhibitor list and couldn't find RED anywhere... Are you listed under another company name (like Oakley, Inc?), Jim?

/ Tony
 
Is there actually any EVIDENCE that the Red Project is real.

I can find more evidence to prove the Blair Witch was a real documentary.

I am not saying it is a lie, but want to see some proof before I am taken in.
 
Yes, it's totally real. Proof? Well, Jared wouldn't have this forum if it wasn't real. Jim wouldn't post here about his project if it wasn't real. Chris Hurd wouldn't have his RED forum if it wasn't real. I don't know if you know me, but I do have a reputation, and I can totally assure you this is, of my own personal knowledge, totally real.

Graeme
 
Graeme_Nattress said:
Yes, it's totally real. Proof? Well, Jared wouldn't have this forum if it wasn't real. Jim wouldn't post here about his project if it wasn't real. Chris Hurd wouldn't have his RED forum if it wasn't real. I don't know if you know me, but I do have a reputation, and I can totally assure you this is, of my own personal knowledge, totally real.

Graeme

I wasn't questioning your reputation at all Graeme. As far as I am concerned I trust you above anyone on these forums because you are always rational, unbiased and clearly very knowledgable. HOWEVER, is it possible Jim is winding us all up? A Multi-millionaire who just decided to make the ultimate cinema camera..?

If you know him and have seen the work being done, I take your word that it is all true, but I don't know of Jim or his company enough to believe the hype just because he says it. What is the evidence (apart from what is said online) that the project is real?

BTW I am not claiming any of this is made up, I am just asking for proof so that we know it is real. I'm not trying to knock anyone or anything, just politely (I hope) asking for the proof. :)

Many thanks
 
I don't know what proof I can give you, but it's not a wind up. I've met Jim, spoke at length about this project. I've met the engineers behind it, and therefore have personal knowledge that this is real. Do a google on Jim, and read up on his story. He has a real track record of doing everything they said he couldn't do.

Graeme
 
Andrew,

I've been playing devil's advocate on the RED project, but for all my questions on feasibility and viability, I do not question that they are indeed working on it. Can Jannard's team create this camera? Certainly. Can they do it at a price that will convert thousands of users from Arriflex, Panavision, Thomson, Sony and Panasonic solutions? That remains to be seen.

I hope this happens - it is exciting that someone is giving it a go!

You said that you married three to five cameras across a 5m x 50m for a live event - I'd like to know what hardware you finally used to do so? Also, how did you get past the divergence issues at variable focal lengths - that was a major stumbling block for us when we tried to seam three cameras for live virtual environments.

e
 
Back
Top