Red Antitheft Ownership database?

hominid said:
And how about encoding/encrypting each cameras unique serial number to the metadata of its recorded footage to aid in tracking.

This encoded serial number idea was brought up a while back in this thread about frame IDs & metadata:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=76103

Graeme comment was:

"We're storing as much metadata as we can along with each frame or clip."

Fingers crossed. I agree that it could be a useful deterant against theft and resale.

hominid said:
You could even tie their copy of redcine to that serial so only the proper owner could process its footage

That might be a bit tough on rental companies / freelance shooters, etc.
 
visceralpsyche said:
I like the idea of hardcoding the serial number into the firmware and the footage shot so that no one outside of Red themselves can alter it and anyone can verify from the footage which camera it came from. I too am happy for a Red database with serial numbers, though of course it needs to have a way of being updated to cover second hand sales etc down the track.

I think that the user should be able to choose whether or not other people can use their camera, because what if you want to rent out your system or someone else edits.
I think that a serial tracking system in the metadata though is great.

What I might think is a good idea is if REDCINE used an internet connection to report back to RED company whenever footage is ingested, and if someone is using your camera and you've put out a notice to say that it was stolen then RED company will communicate back to REDCINE and forbid the footage from being ingested or edited.
It's basically "connects with the server" every time you download footage, kind of like Steam does when you play halflife or counter strike.

Or maybe, to make things more convenient if you're on the go, REDCINE would only have to connect to the server every 5 times you ingest footage. But that might make it more convenient for theives to avoid being caught. I dunno.
 
I'd keep it super simple.

Like the OP stated :
If we can ask Red to maintain their database of registered owners of the Red cameras, and then we can report to them any serial numbers that may get stolen: then if they are offered anywhere, a prospective buyer can check with Red (for an admin fee perhaps?). We have system like that for vehicles here.

I'd have the serial number included in the metadata. And have a free database at REDquarters whereupon when a camera is being reported as stolen, it's listed for anyone to check (no fee). Maybe they could also do an automatic bulk e-mail to post houses around the world - a sort of APB - look out for anyone wanting to process this footage sort of thing.

The onus is always going to be on the owner/op to take the necessary procautions, but adding layers of compu specs/software restrictions etc... just equals troubleshooting + money, to me.

Good insurance, a service oriented company (like RED), and a well developed spidey sense will be your best defense.

As an addendum, how many people have a tracking device on their car ? I know my car costs more than RED, but I don't. Nothwithstanding the cost, maybe all this prevention is because cameras somehow are more personal... :beer:


RED# cautiously optimistic
 
I like the idea of a two pronged attack plan.

REDCine requiring an online registration. And if its online have it check a database of "safe" serials. If the footage being loaded is from a stolen camera. Send a flag to the database, which then cross references the email address of the victim, and gives them the email of the offending REDCine application.

It probably won't be the thief, but it'll get you much closer to finding out what happened, and put you in touch with someone who might be able to tell you.
 
D_and_G said:
As an addendum, how many people have a tracking device on their car ? I know my car costs more than RED, but I don't. Nothwithstanding the cost, maybe all this prevention is because cameras somehow are more personal... :beer:

and infinitely easier to steal. :Drogar-Love(DBG):
 
Let's make this real simple. There is already a serial number database called dvxuser. Mine is serial #516. If anyone tries to sell it to you, or anyone tries to rent it to you (I'm not planning to rent it out) then call the police immediately on these theives and let me know! :)
 
FatBird19 said:
and infinitely easier to steal. :Drogar-Love(DBG):
Not where I'm from :) Top ten "per capita" car theft city in North America - holla :laugh:

I usually don't let equipment out of arms reach. My car on the other hand ? So far, I've only had to worry about renting cine equipment, but I wouldn't want the hassle of logging on or software workarounds etc...maybe I should look into vault storage for RED ?
There's a cutey at the bank who might be amenable :beer:



RED#'s cautiously optimistic
 
FatBird19 said:
...What I might think is a good idea is if REDCINE used an internet connection to report back to RED company whenever footage is ingested...Or maybe, to make things more convenient if you're on the go, REDCINE would only have to connect to the server every 5 times you ingest footage.

Don't think this will work unfortunately - if you're shooting in the jungle or somewhere else remote and inaccessible, an internet connection may be a little difficult to find!
 
I had a DVX 100B theft (probably hotel staff) from the Toronto Airport Sheridan Hotel. It took the thieves seconds to pull it off. The unit was uninsured at the time and cost my friend (producing) almost 4 K to replace.

Another local camera op had his Betacam taken from BETWEEN HIS FEET during the Carabanna festival.

I'm very interested in any anti-theft measures that can be had.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top