Recommend Me a Mattebox :)

there are 2 kinds of 4x5.6 filters and filter holders. Vertical & horizontal. Vertical is what I was talking about. They go in 4x4 matteboxes but are longer so there is more room to adjust the grad. Handle is on top of short end. grad runs across the short side .
Horizontal is for larger wide lenses that will vignette in 16x9 format. handle on top of the long side, grad runs along the long way. Needs a wider mattebox buil to accomodate.
Some 4x4 mattbox makers never offered filter holders to hold 4x5.6 verticals (shoot 35, Brevis)
 
As a few others have stated, the Oconnor Obox, is a great mattebox for the price. Solid build, lots of mounting points. I have a ultralight arm mounted to the side of it, and it hold up rock solid, and you can operate holding on to the shade. I also looked at the shoot 35, but it only does 4x4. In the era of 16x9, 4x5.6 is the way to go.
 
Depends on your lenses also. If you have large lenses with big front elements for 16:9 you may need something wider than 4x4. I'm going largely with still lenses and zooms and they are smaller hence I can fit an 11mm lens inside a 4x4 mattebox without vignetting. I preferred the Petroff over the OBox because i want to be able to rotate both stages.
 
Back
Top