Recommend Me a Mattebox :)

BobbyMurcerFan

Well-known member
Hi,

I have a Zacuto Universal baseplate w/ 15mm rods. I have to admit I'm intrigued by the FS100. But I will need a mattebox, which I should have anyway. I use clip on lens shades currently.

So since I don't know much about the mattebox alternatives out there and why one would buy one over the other, I thought I'd start a thread on the subject.

While I envision shooting w/ cine moded still primes, I would like the matte box to accomodate larger diameter PL glass.

Thanks much for any suggestions!
 
4x5.65/4x4 is the best size IMO for owner/operators, some options:

Arri MMB1: Good, solid, maybe a bit heavy? Side loading trays. Expensive.
O-box: Havent tried but worth a look! May be overkill for dslr lenses as the rear opening is HUGE. Expensive.
Redrock: Nice features, swingaway. Really heavy. Rubber doughnuts a bit finicky. Build is a little awkward. Relatively Cheap.
Chrosziel 4x4/5.65 combo: Super light, solid. Expensive but many available used for cheap on ebay.
Cavision: functions properly, but dont bother. Very plasticy.
Genus: Light weight, solid. Doesnt really help shade the lens though. Doesnt accept side flags. Only 4x4.
Shoot35: havent tried but worth a look. Swing away- but 4x4 only.

I still like my Chrosziel 4x5.65 mattebox the best, lightest of all I tried. Very solid. Has top + side flags. Modular and spare parts are easy to find. Best bang for your buck if you can find a deal on a used one- also plays nice with dslr lenses.
 
I think matteboxes are one of those things that are ridiculously over priced when all it does is block the sun and hold filters, plus within a brand name there are many models or changes over the years.

I think you should look at what features are offered, not brand names, and if it will suit your needs:


  1. Sturdy and light are obvious.
  2. More than one filter slot?
  3. Does at least one filter rotate for fader filters?
  4. Can the base change so you can mount it on 19mm as well as 15mm?
  5. Does it have an eyebrow/flag?
  6. Side flags?
  7. How hard are the flags to get on and off?
  8. Any big gaps around the edges?
  9. Does it have more than one option for the gap between the lens and the mattebox? More than one foam donut for lens that extend? Screw in adapter for those that don't?
  10. Does the box swing away? (Or you will spend more time getting lenses on and off.)
  11. Are the filter frames commonly available so you don't have to mount and remount filters into the same two frames?
 
Obox ftw! Built like a tank, super strong!

If u want a very light clip on, the new red mattebox is getting good reiviews, but u may have to wait for proper step down rings if they are ever made for still primes.
Im a bigger fan of oconnor has a whole. Rock solid company. Generally any mattebox under a thousand dollars i dont like, too many compromises.

The shoot35 mattebox is looking great too, but at the moment onlt supports still lenses. But maybe it can open up to larger lenses later.
 
I've got a Chrosziel. If I was to get another at this point in time, it would be O'Connor OBox if price was a major consideration. Many of the matteboxes available, that are not "studio" matteboxes do not have openings big enough for many PL lenses including the Sony's bundled with the F3. The lens diameter of the Sony PL lenses is 120.4mm.

The OBox also has the ability to strap on relatively light accessories via 1/4"20 threaded holes on the top of the unit. The avantage of this should not be underestimated, in my view.
 
Last edited:
There are a fair number of third party swingaways on the market now and as a result Zacuto's, which is very good and relatively light, is decently priced. The articulated hinge on the Zacuto swingaway is also userful when giving the mattebox the final push onto the lens front.
 
"I think matteboxes are one of those things that are ridiculously over priced when all it does is block the sun and hold filters, plus within a brand name there are many models or changes over the years."

I can't agree more! I'm a car guy, and I could buy an entire suspension system front and rear with about 200lbs of metal and engineering for the same price of a box of plastic and anodized aluminum.

But it's cool camera stuff!.............. Just buy the one that fits your budget, they all do the same thing. I have Cavision's box, yes it's plastic but it has had over 3 years of work and nothing has broken. As long as you don't treat your gear like a Gorilla, it will last fine.
 
The shoot35 is great bang for the buck.

It handles Zeiss super speeds no problem. Its suited for still lenses at the moment, but if youre using Zeiss ZF's or the like its a Great choice, with great build, great flexibility, and its one of the cheapest.
 
I think matteboxes are one of those things that are ridiculously over priced when all it does is block the sun and hold filters, plus within a brand name there are many models or changes over the years.
[/LIST]

Couldn't disagree more. If you like to use grads it becomes much more complicated and hard to design well.
- will it handle 4x5.65 (vertical or horizontal?)
- Can you rotate the first stage- only the expensive ones can.
- Can you rotate freely in any angle especially with 4x5.65
- Is it light
- can you switch from clip on the lens to rod mt if you want that feature.
- how many stages - can you add stages if you want
- Can you also mt round filters ( like 4 1/2" rounds which I have many of
- donuts?

All of these really matter f you use grads. If all you want is to look cool and put in a pola or a some ND's go cheap.

Add to the above list the Petroff which I just bought from Zacuto.
Very flexible design at a comparably reasonable cost.

lenny levy
-
 
If a company can make a matte box for $600 that does everything it needs to do, they would.... ( like shoot 35).


It's odd seeing the sentiment of "matteboxes are over priced". Perhaps it comes from a lack of understanding how expensive, and difficult the R/D phase of product development is. Designing a piece of equipment that does a very specific function is VERY hard!!!

I have been trying to get a simple piece of equipment to market for 6 months now.... and i have to say, based on the costs of custom machining, components, assembly, etc... its a damn miracle companies like Shoot35, LEtus, Cinevate, Redrock and all these indie companies not only put out a product, but put them out at the quality they do! (especially Shoot35 stuff, i cant figure out how he maintains the quality/function and the price.....!!!)

Please respect the engineers, designers, and businessman that work so hard to bring YOU products you need at the lowest cost they can.
 
i its a damn miracle companies like shoot35, letus, cinevate, redrock and all these indie companies not only put out a product, but put them out at the quality they do! (especially shoot35 stuff, i cant figure out how he maintains the quality/function and the price.....!!!)

please respect the engineers, designers, and businessman that work so hard to bring you products you need at the lowest cost they can.

ditto.
 
4x5.65/4x4 is the best size IMO for owner/operators, some options:

Arri MMB1: Good, solid, maybe a bit heavy? Side loading trays. Expensive.
O-box: Havent tried but worth a look! May be overkill for dslr lenses as the rear opening is HUGE. Expensive.
Redrock: Nice features, swingaway. Really heavy. Rubber doughnuts a bit finicky. Build is a little awkward. Relatively Cheap.
Chrosziel 4x4/5.65 combo: Super light, solid. Expensive but many available used for cheap on ebay.
Cavision: functions properly, but dont bother. Very plasticy.
Genus: Light weight, solid. Doesnt really help shade the lens though. Doesnt accept side flags. Only 4x4.
Shoot35: havent tried but worth a look. Swing away- but 4x4 only.

I still like my Chrosziel 4x5.65 mattebox the best, lightest of all I tried. Very solid. Has top + side flags. Modular and spare parts are easy to find. Best bang for your buck if you can find a deal on a used one- also plays nice with dslr lenses.

Hunter, thanks for the detialed reply.

Can you explain a little more the difference between 4X4 and 4X5.65? I realize one has a non-square aspect ratio. But if I'm using spherical lenses, I don't see how a non-square filter size or matte box aspect ratio would make any difference. Of course I could be missing something... probably am, LOL.

Thanks very much again. ;)
 
Can you explain a little more the difference between 4X4 and 4X5.65? I realize one has a non-square aspect ratio. But if I'm using spherical lenses, I don't see how a non-square filter size or matte box aspect ratio would make any difference.

One place I know it makes a big difference is with an ND fader filter. Since the filter fades from ND shading to no shading it allows more leeway to adjust were the ND filtering starts. (Like to avoid blowing out a sky.)
 
Last edited:
It is only for grads. A longer vertical grad gives you more freedom to move the shading where you want it. I hate 4x4 grads because they don't have much adjustment room.
I'm sorry I'm saying same thing as Duke. When he said fader filter I thought he meant the "Fader ND" rotating polarizer thing
 
A few matte boxes will let you use a rectangular filter frame in them even though they come with the 4x4 square filter frame. Depends on the locking mechanism on the side.
 
4x5.6 filters cover 18-25mm lenses on a 16:9 format camera. think wide. Cinema lenses dont protrude into the mattebox, so the filters need to cover the frame from further back. hence the width.
 
I bought the Arri MMB-1 because it was one of the few that will clip onto the 143mm front of my Red Pro 17-50mm zoom and still can be mounted on rails for dslr lenses.
 
Back
Top