really basic crane and jib questions

fishbeer

Member
Looks like I might have access to some nice cranes and jibs in the near future. I'm wondering what the difference is between these? And more importantly, how does the DVX100B do on them? I don't know if I'll have access to a monitor or not but I don't have remote focus anyway so I guess it doesn't matter? I know autofocus isn't so great in 24p. Anybody have any experience with this?
 
Just do it. Jibs are awesome and yeah the DVX will work on it perfectly, it's not a heavy camera so you have a lot of options.
 
Jibs and cranes are pretty much the same, though traditionally, cranes are larger rigs that also include a seat for the DP.

The DVX will work quite well on a jib... I have used them many times.

dvx_jib.jpg


If you don't have a monitor, then get a smaller jib where you'll always be able to watch your flip-out LCD. Honestly, I'd make every effort to secure a monitor for the flexibility.

As for auto focus, I try not to use it at all... 24p, 30p, 60i... I avoid it altogether. You can cheat it by keeping your depth of field as deep as possible... zoom all the way out so that everything seems in focus, and set your focal point to a happy medium of the action. Without a monitor and a focus controller, you'll have to be creative.
 
Last edited:
Looks like I might have access to some nice cranes and jibs in the near future. I'm wondering what the difference is between these? And more importantly, how does the DVX100B do on them? I don't know if I'll have access to a monitor or not but I don't have remote focus anyway so I guess it doesn't matter? I know autofocus isn't so great in 24p. Anybody have any experience with this?

Hi there, this is my DIY Jib/crane right here posted on homebuiltstabilizers.com and it works perfectly with my DVX100B, used it during Twilightfest. Please check the link below:

http://homebuiltstabilizers.com/Mem...f94-b4f5-eb4264281b6f@hsd1_fl_comcast_net.htm

Cheers!
 
i have the 8ft kesslar crane .then i put in a extra 3ft piece in . i use the light hpx170 with a remote pan/tilt unit . with the extra length it bobs a bit . so i added a 2 cable supports .this makes it rock solid. also mounted a varizoom controller for on/off-irus/focus control . drilled a hole and mounted my ikan 8in hd monitor with cover and arm using the 12v battery as balance weight.
 
Back
Top