FS7: Raw to the Odyssey 7Q

Hello Mitch, I am debating with myself if I should keep the 7Q for my FS7 or sell it. I used it happily with the FS700 but now, I am waiting for my FS7 and I am not sure how big the improvement over XAVC-I 4k would be. Since there is this issue going on right now, there is hardly any test footage out there that compares XAVC-I with 7Q Prores.

Do you have any good comparisons?

ALso, when will this "translation software for RAW" be released?

Thanks in advance!

FS7 is an improvement over FS700 concerning XAVC 4K internal recording (in 10bit), general ergonomics, image quality (14 stops) and S-Log3/S-Gamut3 implementation. You can think of it as a mini F5.

Right now it's not fair to compare XAVC internal with OD7Q ProRes because bugs are not sorted out yet.

IMO you should keep your Odyssey 7Q, even if you don't plan to shoot RAW. ProRes is a much more robust codec and an improvement over XAVC even if this format is far from being bad (quite the contrary in fact)
 
Many people and a lot of post facilities prefer to work with ProRes files over XAVC files.

We do see a difference between our ProRes files derived from the RAW and the camera's internal XAVC files. I will leave it to others to determine how much of a difference it is and how they feel about that difference.

The cost of the FS7 media is quite expensive. If you compare the cost of per minute use for Sony's media to that of an Odyssey SSD, I believe we're something like 1/3rd the price. Since you already own an Odyssey7Q, Odyssey SSDs and the FS RAW Record Option, by not having to purchase media for the fS7 you can afford to buy the XDCA extension back and batteries for the camera. Be sure to buy batteries with a built-in P-Tap so that you can get a cable from us to power your Odyssey right off the camera.
 
That is what I am thinking, but It is hard to make a decision especially since the comparison of the two is not possible right now. I think I should keep the 7Q, but I eel uneasy about the Prores bug and need to shoot a project end of February.

Thanks for you help Mitch and S.Blanchardon!
 
We expect to have all the issues corrected very shortly. We actually have most of it done but need to tweak it all with Sony to make sure we get it right.

Video conference calls between Japan and Colorado Springs are fun.
 
That is what I am thinking, but It is hard to make a decision especially since the comparison of the two is not possible right now. I think I should keep the 7Q, but I eel uneasy about the Prores bug and need to shoot a project end of February.

Thanks for you help Mitch and S.Blanchardon!

You're welcome !

We expect to have all the issues corrected very shortly. We actually have most of it done but need to tweak it all with Sony to make sure we get it right.

Video conference calls between Japan and Colorado Springs are fun.

How many hours of difference ?

I met the engineer who is behind the FS7 during last IBC. Great guy to speak with ! I hope everything will be sorted quickly so everyone can move on and whiners stop whining !
 
We expect to have all the issues corrected very shortly. We actually have most of it done but need to tweak it all with Sony to make sure we get it right.

Video conference calls between Japan and Colorado Springs are fun.

Any news on the next firmware release?
 
Yup would be great to hear something regarding an ETA. I'm going to have to bench my 7Q until these issues are fixed. The Pro Res recording contrast/magenta issue is causing me all sorts of headaches on this film I did, and the raw shooting issue, while I worked around it for the short promo I did, has huge ramifications for anything longer form.
 
I know.... this is getting ridiculous on Convergent's part. This was suppose to be working in November when the camera comes out.

As I have painfully learned though (yet never quite absorb), Convergent is a painfully slow moving company and any announcements are guaranteed to be 5 months late at a minimum (sometimes 8 months late). Between CD and Sony's postponing firmware 2.0 until March, this is becoming a big debacle.
 
I just really think until the issues are resolved they should not be advertised as working together or being compatible right now using the raw output.
 
I just really think until the issues are resolved they should not be advertised as working together or being compatible right now using the raw output.

But then CD can't trick people into buying the unit. I already had the 7Q, so it's not as bad. But yeah... this delay on CD and Sony is really bad.
 
We cannot give an ETA while we work to fix code. Fixes that time and we cause or discover other problems along the way. We test and test until it is ready. In the past we have given ETAs and then something crops up and we miss the deadline.

We want it all done already as well. We'll get something out ASAP.
 
Hi Mitch,

Quick question just to clarify. CD is working on a SGamut3Cine profile for the 7Q correct? That's the version that most / all of us would like, the Cine version, not the non-Cine which very few people use.

Thanks
 
Hi Mitch,

Quick question just to clarify. CD is working on a SGamut3Cine profile for the 7Q correct? That's the version that most / all of us would like, the Cine version, not the non-Cine which very few people use.

Thanks
Correct. Working on it.

Please note that Sony has announced some changes with their upcoming firmware release. This effects our work, and we must make sure to have solutions for use with footage both before and after the firmware in the camera changed.
 
Correct. Working on it.

Please note that Sony has announced some changes with their upcoming firmware release. This effects our work, and we must make sure to have solutions for use with footage both before and after the firmware in the camera changed.

Does this mean you won't release a firmware update before the upcoming Sony one? Might upset some folks if so.

Hang in there,
Robert
 
Don't start drawing any conclusions. Sony has already provided us with the contents of the firmware update.

No conclusions drawn, just trying to get the facts.

I noticed you really did not answer the question as to the plan. And yes, I realize one cannot really predict when software is ready. I worked for MS during the Win95 pre-launch and supported the Technical Betas.

Robert
 
No conclusions drawn, just trying to get the facts.

I noticed you really did not answer the question as to the plan. And yes, I realize one cannot really predict when software is ready. I worked for MS during the Win95 pre-launch and supported the Technical Betas.

Robert
I answered as much of the question as I am prepared to at this time. We wish to share as much as we can, but there are various reasons why we need to hold back some things.
 
Honestly, it's amazing that Mitch is here listening and answering at all. Certainly CD can't be faulted for not being keenly interested in their customer's experiences and their potential customer's wants and needs in product purchase considerations.

That said, leave the poor man alone! He's gotta have a little bit of wiggle room! Mitch is wise, and keeps from promising up specific deadlines because if CD then misses them, it would be poor form, even if they missed such a deadline due primarily to development issues beyond their control.

Note: The above is my opinion, solely, and is directed at this thread in general, not at anyone specifically.

Don't scare him off! Stay Mitch! I'll bake some cookies!
 
Back
Top