Rainy Day - 60p and 24p test

Nice Job!

Nice Job!

I just bought this cam and am working on my skills. I found your test piece motivational. This is one of the best test footage samples I have ever seen. Great production value.

Mike
 
mdambrose said:
I just bought this cam and am working on my skills. I found your test piece motivational. This is one of the best test footage samples I have ever seen. Great production value.

Mike

i second that :) great work. can you elaberate on your technique. camera settings, capture app, editing app, export settings ect.. very interested. did u use a steady cam ?

- marty.
 
This looked great Solomon, really enjoyed it. would love to hear some of the settings you used and what software was used, etc.

Daniel
 
Wow.. amazing. Apart from being the most beautiful footage I have seen from the HV20 so far, that was also the most stable footage I have seen from the HV20 so far. I can't see any rolling shutter distortion anywhere in your footage. How did you stabilize it? What's your secret?
 
I just used the HV20 and a $30 tripod. No steadicam etc.. There is some rolling shutter artifacts if you look for them. Mainly the lightning!

My Camera Settings:
Shutter Priority Mode
Shutter Speed: 100
Exposure Locked: -2

Custom HV20 Settings
Col. Depth -1
Sharpness -1
Contrast -1
Brightness -1

Color Correction:
Color Curves (more yellow in highlights)

Slow motion was done with vegas. :)
 
Solomon Chase said:
I just used the HV20 and a $30 tripod. No steadicam etc.. There is some rolling shutter artifacts if you look for them. Mainly the lightning!
Yeah I could see the lightning artifacts, but what's more interesting is that your footage didn't wobble (image distortion likely caused by rolling shutter) like my footage did when I took my HV20 for a walk on my home built stabilizer. I returned my HV20 thinking it was the nature of the rolling shutter, but now I am intrigued by your footage because it is so smooth.

Say, could you by any chance take your HV20 for a handheld walk at full wideangle with 24p and 1/48 shutter and load up a piece of that footage? I'd like to see if your HV20 behaves anything like my HV20 did. Because if it doesn't, I might just take a chance and buy myself another HV20.
 
Last edited:
Norbert said:
Yeah I could see the lightning artifacts, but what's more interesting is that your footage didn't wobble (image distortion likely caused by rolling shutter) like my footage did when I took my HV20 for a walk on my home built stabilizer. I returned my HV20 because of this issue but now I am intrigued by your smooth footage.

I don't know about the 24p shots, but because the slow mo was shot in 60i instead of 24p, rolling shutter is reduced. (because the CMOS sensor is "read out" 240 percent faster)
 
Solomon Chase said:
I don't know about the 24p shots, but because the slow mo was shot in 60i instead of 24p, rolling shutter is reduced. (because the CMOS sensor is "read out" 240 percent faster)

Hi Solomon

Was this all done in 60i?

Thanks
JohnG
 
John Godden said:
Hi Solomon

Was this all done in 60i?

Thanks
JohnG

Nope, just the last 2 slow motion shots. All the rest is 24p with pulldown removed.

Norbert, I'll shoot some 1/48 handheld footage tommorow and post it up...
 
jenningsp said:
it looked great. but where did the car go? :P
one weird thing.... the file says it's 21.85fps???

Where'd the car go? What, you think this is a 2 camera shoot or something? haha. :beer:

yeah I saw that... looks like it plays at 24p thugh.. =\
 
Back
Top