Pseudo-HDR, Wiggle 3D, Stop motion, GH13 Music Video

Magnus387

Active member

I spent 3 months editing this music video, which became a labor of love that I couldn't have imaged. I've received a bunch a questions as to what went into the production/post-production processes, and I since this forum has been such a help to me I figured I open it up here. Cheers!
 
i like it!
good to see a hip hop video having fun with it & not looking like... well all the pathetic bling nonsense! shine for the right reasons :smile:

this will be the one you hear the most... how did you achieve the pseudo HDR style? :smile:

ohh and pretty tight flow man :smile:
 
i like it!
good to see a hip hop video having fun with it & not looking like... well all the pathetic bling nonsense! shine for the right reasons :smile:

this will be the one you hear the most... how did you achieve the pseudo HDR style? :smile:

ohh and pretty tight flow man :smile:

The Psuedo-HDR look was achieved by shooting the whole thing with still frames, and then processing every single one in photoshop (55,000 in total), before creating a sequence with the images in FCP.

Thanks for the kind words. Means a lot.
 
curious why you could not convert a clip into frames via software? why shoot in frames?


I definitely could have - it was more of a stylistic choice, trying to match the feeling of being hungover. I also found during testing that photoshop filters just didn't give me the cartoonish effect I was going for when processing a 1920x1080 image.

Finally, editing with a 4000x2250 sequence gave me far more options in post in terms of lossless keyframe movement, and subject composition.
 
I thought this was FANTASTIC! Very engaging visual treatment, and I actually like the music. One of the most interesting things I've seen on DVXUser. I hate HDR (when obvious or overdone), but the look suited the song's theme perfectly.

IMO he shot frames because RAW/JPEG stills > video stills in just about every way imaginable. He needed to do some heavy photoshop, and video frames wouldn't hold up. Also, he spent half his camera's shutter life to achieve these results. Pure awesome POWUH!


Ahh, OP beat me to it.
 
Last edited:
I thought this was FANTASTIC! Very engaging visual treatment, and I actually like the music. One of the most interesting things I've seen on DVXUser. I hate HDR (when obvious or overdone), but the look suited the song's theme perfectly.

IMO he shot frames because RAW/JPEG stills > video stills in just about every way imaginable. He needed to do some heavy photoshop, and video frames wouldn't hold up. Also, he spent half his camera's shutter life to achieve these results. Pure awesome POWUH!


Ahh, OP beat me to it.


Thanks wjm. I hate using effects "Just to use them", which happens all too often in music videos (anamorphic lens flare plug-in anyone) but trying to capture the hangover hyper grittiness definitely called for visual treatment.

And yeah...my poor little GH13! He held up like a trooper, and his best picture taking days are probably behind him, but when it comes to Video he's still a beast.
 
Shoot, and I've been LOOKING for a good FCP anamorphic flare plugin.... gulp!

I edited together a sequence of frames into a video of sorts a while back.

Anyway, really like your work.
 
Wow, that looks really interesting man; although I'm not sure I have the patience that it probably took you to film and edit this piece together!

I'm always impressed with what some people can do with the Gh1(3)
 
Edit: Boy did I choose the wrong tab to post in. Meant to post in the GH2 hack thread :)

(Like the music video though)
 
Well done sir. While the Shaggy meets Eminem song is a little overdone for me in today's market, the video is excellent and puts it over the top and I like it.... I don;t think I would like this song without the video but with the video so compelling I just start humming this damn thing.
 
@UncleBenji1977
Look up HDR photography and techniques (specifically an app called "Photomatix Pro", then imagine this video shot as a stop motion... each frame going through an HDR process.
I would imagine doing 3 shots and joining them to make a single HDR image, would be an incredible painstaking task.

@Magnus387, Did you take 3 or 2 exposures for each frame?
I want to try something like this out, but my guess is that 1 RAW should be enough for each frame... at least for 1080p quality.
 
Really, really fun work. Asher has such charisma!

Having done quite a bit of HDR, I know what a processing pain in the ass it is. By "psuedo", I'm going to guess you took only one exposure per frame and did an HDR separation in PS. ?

What I'd really like to know is at what fps where you shooting? I understand that the max burst rate for stills can slow down after a couple seconds. Did you find that to be true? Or did you use a lower fps rate? Do tell.

And you also haven't told us your roll in the video -- editor most likely. DP? Director?
Well done.

~~~~~~~~~
Chris Mosio
Cinematographer
Film~Digital~Timelapse
www.MosioMedia.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Back
Top