Picture profiles disappear after format SD card

ebsseattle

Active member
Is there a way to save picture profiles in camera? It seems like they're saving to the SD cards and any time I format one of them or swap out the card, the picture profiles disappear. Can anyone shed any light on this?
 
LOL....sure, when you format the SD card, you erase/rewrite the entire card, not just a part of it. I keep a separate card with all my profiles on it. Usually, I erase files from the in-camera card one at a time. but, sometimes, I forget and reformat the whole card. Then it becomes a question of simply copying the saved pp's back onto the incam card.
 
I think it's really weird that there's not a small internal memory to save the PPs to.
 
Cuervo, that's the problem. I'm sure that I will accidentally, at some point in the future, reformat a card and lose the profiles again. I'm amazed that they don't have a way of storing these internally or even on a separate memory stick like older Sony models did.

Do you know if there's a way to back them up to a computer, or is the profile data not accessible when mounting the cards?
 
There's more and more little things like this this that bother me about this camera. The lowest of low end DSLRs can save picture profiles internally, card independent.
 
Hmmm... Actually there has to be some sort of internal memory because when you take out the memory card the PP's work as they did with the SD card. I think this applies only to when you format the SD card, not when you change it...

/UPDATE
Formatting or swapping the card does NOT delete or change the Picture Profiles in my camera!
 
Last edited:
There are a dozen things that bother me about this camera but if I let them 'really' bother me I'll cease to enjoy a damn good HD cam. It's just a matter of re-programming yourself to it's use and hoping that Sony may read this forum and say, 'Hey, we can fix that with an update - no sweat'.

Truthfully, I'm not holding my breath now that they've got the F5/F55 to fill a higher end niche and want to charge us as much or more for the 4K upgrade than the original camera cost.

Regards,
Scott
 
So this is how it works as for I understand it:

You can adjust the PP's that are stored in camera.
You can then choose to save or load thse PP's to and from an SD card.
 
in short yes. That's exactly what I do. You can copy the "SONY/SETTING/FS700UN/CAMPRO0x.DAT(where x=PP set) file to a location on the hard drive of your computer. If you ever overwrite your CD card, just copy the entire directory structure back to the SDHC card. If you have, for example, CAMPRO01.dat and CAMPRO02.dat stored on your hard drive. And you want to save a 3rd PP set, be sure to have the first two sets pre-loaded on the SDHC card, then save your third PP set as CAMPRO03.DAT.
 
Perfect. Thanks! Then one followup question. If you don't format your cards, what method do you use to delete the footage without wiping the pp data off? Do you ever run into times when formatting the card is necessary?
 
You can manually delete one file at a time in the preview mode. I've never experienced it, but, eventually, I think the card has to be reformatted after many delete file cycles.
 
It's a really bad idea to simply delete files from the card, rather than reformatting the card, you're just asking for a corrupt video file that way.
 
colinelves:
precisely!
chris johnson:
you can load onoly 6 PP's into the camera. I have at least 18 different profiles I use

 
You can save 6profiles to the camera, but multiple profile settings files (each with six saved profiles) to an SD card, I've bought a cheap class 4, 4gig SD card and use that. 18 profiles is just 3 files - the more annoying problem is you can't name them.
 
Back
Top