Panasonic Removable Lens Four Thirds HD AVCHD Camera

Currently only the 14-140mm"HD" lens was designed for video. And only that lens will do AF in video and has silent focusing, etc.

You've said this a number of times and I think I've challenged it a number of times, but I have still not seen any reason to believe this is true. Yes, only that lens will do silent focusing, and has the video oriented aperture, etc.

But I'm not aware of any reason to believe that this is the only lens that will do AF in video mode.

The G1 kit lenses, the 7-14mm zoom, and the compatible adapted 4/3 lenses should auto-focus while shooting video just as they AF while shooting stills, only they will be louder, possibly slower.

I could be wrong, but all Panasonic seems to say is that these lenses AF with the G1, and since the lens controls are the same on the GH1 and G1 (presumably) then they should AF with the GH1 in video mode, right?

The Leica D 25mm f.1.4 will have AF for stills, but not for video. A lot of the fancy features of the GH1 are tied to the 14-140mm HD lens, which is why they have it bundled with the camera.

I expect the Pana Leica 25mm f1.4 will AF in video mode. You just might pick up the noise with the Mic, but that's ok.

For consumers who will use the built in mic the HD lens is necessary to keep the noise from coming thru on their video, and that's why its sold as the kit lens. But for those who will adapt, it seems silly that panasonic would arbitrarily prevent these lenses from autofocusing in a single mode of the camera, while most of the rest of the AF technology works in video mode (facial recognition and focus tracking.)
 
Last edited:
I hear you Steve. But when I see a Panasonic Rep make this comment (as quoted from earlier)

Q: So who is the target user for this camera, as distinct from high end camcorders - and also as distinct from the target market for the G1?
A: High end camcorder users are one of the big targets. Also video journalists and maybe broadcasting companies.

I'd say someone is sending mixed messages.

I'd agree that Panasonic is sending mixed messages, and their approach to the Japanese market may be different from the US market. But used within its limitations I do believe the GH1 can produce superior results to many of the higher-end camcorder's out there based on the situation.

I'm assuming that Olympus will also be releasing cameras with video capability, and Panasonic will be have future models beyond the GH1. They have obviously put a lot of resources into the GH1 and the u4/3rds system. It's safe to assume there will be more "HD" lenses and more video-capable bodies beyond the GH1. Currently, the m43rds system, seems to me at least, to be the most promising system for video. And investments in the GH1 body and lens will be sound investment for future body/lens combinations.

One of the things Panasonic likes to brag-about is their "blackbox" technologies. Technologies that are modular, and can be recombined into new products with minimal investment and effort. For the GH1 for example, Panasonic merely used the G1 body, added a new sensor, and put two Venus HD processors inside instead of one. Maybe we'll see Panasonic take that concept and mate the GH1 with components from their higher-end cameras(like their 20-bit DSP, etc.) in the future? I'm hoping that the m4/3rds system becomes a system for "high end camcorder users".
 
You've said this a number of times and I think I've challenged it a number of times, but I have still not seen any reason to believe this is true. Yes, only that lens will do silent focusing, and has the video oriented aperture, etc.

But I'm not aware of any reason to believe that this is the only lens that will do AF in video mode.

The G1 kit lenses, the 7-14mm zoom, and the compatible adapted 4/3 lenses should auto-focus while shooting video just as they AF while shooting stills, only they will be louder, possibly slower.

I could be wrong, but all Panasonic seems to say is that these lenses AF with the G1, and since the lens controls are the same on the GH1 and G1 (presumably) then they should AF with the GH1 in video mode, right?



I expect the Pana Leica 25mm f1.4 will AF in video mode. You just might pick up the noise with the Mic, but that's ok.

For consumers who will use the built in mic the HD lens is necessary to keep the noise from coming thru on their video, and that's why its sold as the kit lens. But for those who will adapt, it seems silly that panasonic would arbitrarily prevent these lenses from autofocusing in a single mode of the camera, while most of the rest of the AF technology works in video mode (facial recognition and focus tracking.)

I could be mistaken (I hope I am).

But that was my understanding from what I've read the AF features won't work in video for non-"HD" lenses. Especially the AF-tracking features (where a subject is tracked while moving through a frame).

It would make sense that a jerky, implementation of AF would work in video for the older lens with adapters. Maybe someone could test this.

Edit:
Looking over some previous videos posted using a variety of lenses, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg855hlHXHo&fmt=22

All lenses outside the 14-140mm is entirely manual focus, he also uses the new 7-14mm and manually focuses it as well (it looks to also be high-DOF shot where MF would not be necessary). I'm not sure this is a personal preference, or he doesn't use it because it's jerky, but all other videos I've examined are exclusively MF for all lenses outside the HD kit lens.
 
Last edited:
he also uses the new 7-14mm and manually focuses it as well (it looks to also be high-DOF shot where MF would not be necessary).


He uses the Olympus 7-14. I don't think anyone has claimed the olympus supports AF. The Panasonic 7-14 is a completely different lens.

Edit: dpreview had an interview with panasonic at PMA and this is what they said:

"The new 7-14mm lens isn't an 'HD' lens - how well does it work for movies on the GH1?
It's not as fast as the 14-140mm, but it's certainly usable."

I assume they are refering to AF speed and not aperture, but can't be completely sure. I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't work unless they have intentionally crippled the camera.
 
Last edited:
Looking over some previous videos posted using a variety of lenses, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg855hlHXHo&fmt=22

All lenses outside the 14-140mm is entirely manual focus, he also uses the new 7-14mm and manually focuses it as well (it looks to also be high-DOF shot where MF would not be necessary). I'm not sure this is a personal preference, or he doesn't use it because it's jerky, but all other videos I've examined are exclusively MF for all lenses outside the HD kit lens.

Steve, the same user ( or should that be Youser Lol ) also has this clip showing the Lumix G Vario 14-45mm using autofocus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqFqKZjjyYg

This, I presume, means that the lens communication does work for compatible lenses, it's just still a grey area as to how well.
 
I assume they are refering to AF speed and not aperture, but can't be completely sure. I don't really see a reason why it wouldn't work unless they have intentionally crippled the camera.

Both f4 and no motorized zoom so I think he must mean focus speed.
 
Last edited:
Steve, the same user ( or should that be Youser Lol ) also has this clip showing the Lumix G Vario 14-45mm using autofocus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqFqKZjjyYg

This, I presume, means that the lens communication does work for compatible lenses, it's just still a grey area as to how well.

I stand corrected, you're right, I didn't see that at the end of the clip.

If the clip is accurate, then AF does seem to work with all contrast-AF capable lenses. Which is good news.
 
Back
Top