AC130: Ordered new one!!

AevnsGrandpa

Active member
Well I finally ordered a new AC130 to replace my faithful old DVC-30. I would have like to wait for the 130a but the added cost would have put it out of my reach and I'll just run manual focus for the most part.

Cannot wait!

Hit or tips for a NOOB?

Jeff
 
Hi Jeff

Very much the same as a DVC-30 ...I started with the little DVC20 many, many years ago!!! Autofocus works perfectly on the AC-130 as long as you keep it busy..it only hunts and wanders if the subject and camera are static (like a wedding ceremony) so if you are filming a dance recital on stage or anything where the cam is on a tripod and pointed towards the subject for a long time then snap into MF ....if you disable AF in the Auto menu you STILL have AF when you need if with the front switch left in auto but it allows you to switch to manual anytime!!! ...and of course, READ THE MANUAL!!! I use my pair as shoulder mount cameras but that's another story!! Have fun!!

Chris
 
Thanks for the reply, I was just commenting to my wife about how what I have used has changed over the past 20 years. I used to video weddings with a Sony Hi8mm handycam!
A lot of what I do now is ministry related at my church so I use MF a lot due to lower light levels. The ability of this one to switch to DV mode and stream out a firewire connection was a strawberry on top for me as we do streaming too and I won't have to swap out cams.

Jeff
 
I got mine a week ago and I love it. Tommorow I got my first project with this camera (Ice skating Championship)
I am going to put it to the test.

Low Temperature
Low lighting
Fast motion
 
AevnsGrandpa . . .

Please let us know how you like your 130.

Tips??
Print out a copy of the 100 page manual and put it in a ring binder. Read it 20 times (minimum) and mark up the sections with a felt pen marker as you master them. Then go through Barry Green's book. The objective is to get to where you can operate the camera in the dark.
 
Also a prior DVC-30 owner here. Made the upgrade to the HPX170 two years ago. I really miss the slow "crawl" zoom that the DVC30 could do. Let us know how you like the 130.
 
Hi Jim

So far I have found AF works for everything else so I just change AF to "OFF" in the auto menu ...it still works of course, and during the ceremony I let AF do it's thing, check that the focus is perfect then snap the AF/MF switch to manual....that turns AF off and there is no hunting!! Same story with the speeches!!

Chris
 
Remember that if you want to use AF only occasionally, you can use the PUSH AUTO button, that way you don't have to snap the AF/MF switch. Just leave it in MF mode, then when you want AF help you just hold down the PUSH AUTO button until it focuses where you want.
 
Hi Jim

Sadly it doesnt!! and Panasonic seem convinced that there is nothing wrong with it. it's just a different system of autofocus and we are supposed to get used to the way it works. I have owned Panasonics since the late 80's and this is the first model that does this but it doesn't appear that anything will happen at all so best we get used to the workaround and live with the design fault. In run 'n gun situations I still have the cam on AF as I use that most of the time and it's only the one fixed camera at weddings that needs to be switched to manual ...after the ceremony that camera goes onto the stedicam so it's back to auto again!!

Chris
 
Well I got it yesterday. Had already read the advanced manual on line and am reading through Barry's book that came with it (thank you B&H).

I was really surprised how big it is. Saw pictures of it but it is like twice the size of my DVC30! My 2 memory cards I ordered are on BO so I had to pull one from my Nikon camera to play with.

Other than the nomral weekly ministry production I do, I don't have any big projects till the end of the month. That will give me good time to read up on everything and yes I do plan on printing off the pdf manual and memorizing it (maybe not that far). But I do agree this one is far more complicated and I need to KNOW it. Thanks for the input!

Jeff
 
Well I got it yesterday. Had already read the advanced manual on line and am reading through Barry's book that came with it (thank you B&H).

Hi Jeff, Am happy that you are liking your new camera. Just a note to your thanks to B & H, they did not provide the book, Panasonic did. It is included with every US camera.

Best regards,

Jan
 
Hi Jan,

Thanks for the note and thanks for Barry's book. It is a great add on and help to the normal manual.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,
Congrats on the new camera! Glad to hear you're finding the book helpful. As Jan said, it is supplied as a promotion by Panasonic USA, so anyone buying a legitimate USA-authorized camera from an authorized US dealer will receive the book in the box. It's one way you know you have an authentic USA model of the camera.
 
Thanks. Feel like I am in the big leagues now. Going to take it out and walk through the manual and your book to get familar.

Jeff
 
The thing is it's a 22 x and it uses advanced focusing strategies that look for contrast. Sometimes there is no contrast.

And yes, it hunts when it gets confused. And, I can understand that in fast moving situations, you can get undesired effects.

All of these technologies have boundary conditions. I just went through an exercise where I was very strongly attracted to gyro stabilizers. They seem to work well out of helicopters and sitting in the back of a car ahead of a jogger.

BUT, try to run up a flight of stairs to follow an actor and apparently, the likely outcome is the gyro will fight with you. So, close, but no cigar if this information is accurate. I still plan to test this myself to see the extent to which I might be able to use this technology.

We get what we pay for in life. The AC160, for me, represents fantastic value. It's a lot smarter than I am, so my plan is to learn how to make best use of what it does. If I were a pro, I could probably afford to have 5 cameras with a full range of add-on products.

Right now, I am enjoying this camera and I figure it will serve me well over the next 5 years. After that we shall see.
 
Last edited:
Well, categorizing the book as 'helpful" is an understatement.

I would rate it as "indispensible" and I have already written to Panasonic Canada asking WHY they do not give it or at least ask one of their distributors to stock it.

I suppose if they don't I will do it.

I have already trashed one felt pen marker highlighting important issues in Barry's book.
 
Well I actually got it out and set it up and did some testing with it during church service last night including some praise and worship and teaching.

WOW, now I am used to my DVC30, SD cam and not only was the image on the viewfinder great but when I got home and connected to my home 32" 1080p tv, WWOOOWW. Holy crap that was a great image.

I ran through all the scene files that came with it, auto/manual and just played with it. First things I really noticed was the focus was really tight when I had zoomed in 1/2 to 3/4 the way. The focus assist is great. Really liked it and prefer it to EVL DTL. I had to add gain to bring up the WFM to what looked good but really didn't detect to much noise.

Next time I will run it in DV mode as I also will use this cam for streaming to UStream.tv using WireCast from Telestream.

Over all it is a great cam, well worth what I paid. Need to take it outside during the day and see how things are using the ND filters.

Jeff
 
How about you put up a 2-3 min clip on YouTube and let us take a look at it?. Did you record at 1080 24p? My experience with gain is 6db seems to add little noise, I have not done any detailed comparisons with 12 db.
 
Back
Top