NXCAM Details...The countdown

Heres how these things usually pan out - VERY NEGATIVE REVIEW (Nigel Cooper) /2 + VERY POSITIVE REVIEW (Den Lennie) /2 = somewhere in the middle.

That is right... Those ba*tard corporate overlords... How dare them not make the perfect camera for $5000.00!

I know that this observation is not going to be popular, but here goes... I can't help think that current affordable large sensor HD cams offer two distinct choices. With one you have a sensor designed for a $13,000.00 Cinealta line camera offered in a more affordable configuration. With the other you have a sensor designed for a $1000.00 DSLR repurposed in a more robust video camera configuration. We have all been banging our heads together for the last year and a half, give or take, crowing about the virtues and faults of the HD-DSLRs and now that there are cameras that expand the advantages of the HD-DSLRs and solve the biggest problems of those cameras, we are still not satisfied. I think that this new Sony camera is an amazing camera, as is the AF-100. I am going to buy one of them. What my decision is going to be made upon is which one I believe is going to give me the best image quality. That is yet to be established.
 
That is right... Those ba*tard corporate overlords... How dare them not make the perfect camera for $5000.00!

I know that this observation is not going to be popular, but here goes... I can't help think that current affordable large sensor HD cams offer two distinct choices. With one you have a sensor designed for a $13,000.00 Cinealta line camera offered in a more affordable configuration. With the other you have a sensor designed for a $1000.00 DSLR repurposed in a more robust video camera configuration. We have all been banging our heads together for the last year and a half, give or take, crowing about the virtues and faults of the HD-DSLRs and now that there are cameras that expand the advantages of the HD-DSLRs and solve the biggest problems of those cameras, we are still not satisfied. I think that this new Sony camera is an amazing camera, as is the AF-100. I am going to buy one of them. What my decision is going to be made upon is which one I believe is going to give me the best image quality. That is yet to be established.

Heh-howie! Made me smile....and I must agree. I can say that barring any MAJOR breakdowns, I think this will be the "quill" that I'll use for a while (until something better comes along...and it will....soon)....but I for one am very proud of Sony and what they've put together here. I HOPE and PRAY that it's got F3-like low-light ability...and the IQ has some heritage from what I can see.....but my personal fav (so far) is the TINY form factor and the overall layout. Looks like fun! Way to go Sony!
 
Heres how these things usually pan out - VERY NEGATIVE REVIEW (Nigel Cooper) /2 + VERY POSITIVE REVIEW (Den Lennie) /2 = somewhere in the middle.

Can I just add however - if one is very positive and one is very positive, who's is correct. Well neither and both for you and me who havent used it. Each reviewer looks at the camera through their own eyes and own perspectives and each reviewer is entitled to do just that.
 
I just want to add that Nigel's review hammered the quality build of the prototype and not the image. He said the image was quite nice. I can believe him on the build quality and buttons. The scroll wheel on the FX1000, Z5, NX5 is horrible. I have had a hard time spinning that wheel and also pressing the WB buttons on those cameras. Sounds like it's the same style on the FS100. Not bad for some but can be frustrating for others. At least we know ahead of time.
 
That is right... Those ba*tard corporate overlords... How dare them not make the perfect camera for $5000.00!

I know that this observation is not going to be popular, but here goes... I can't help think that current affordable large sensor HD cams offer two distinct choices. With one you have a sensor designed for a $13,000.00 Cinealta line camera offered in a more affordable configuration. With the other you have a sensor designed for a $1000.00 DSLR repurposed in a more robust video camera configuration. We have all been banging our heads together for the last year and a half, give or take, crowing about the virtues and faults of the HD-DSLRs and now that there are cameras that expand the advantages of the HD-DSLRs and solve the biggest problems of those cameras, we are still not satisfied. I think that this new Sony camera is an amazing camera, as is the AF-100. I am going to buy one of them. What my decision is going to be made upon is which one I believe is going to give me the best image quality. That is yet to be established.

I feel the exact same way. I think both are excellent options and we're lucky to have this kind of competition in the marketplace. I'm leaning towards the Sony, despite the AF100 having the better outputs, ND filters, etc. The "from the ground up" sensor design in the FS100 is the deciding factor for me, but others will appreciate the advantages of the Panasonic.
 
Can we be satisfied?

Based upon what I know right now...
I am satisfied with this camera. I like the big sensor; the bizarre viewfinder; the cool, adjustable hand grip; the really small form factor; the interchangable lens. This is just one cool little camera. It reminds me of the Eclair ACL or Aaton LTR 7.
I'm also satisfied with the AF100. That's also a cool little camera. But based upon an unqualtifiable and illogical reason of the coolness factor, I'd pick the FS100 over the AF100 - assuing the images are similar. The FS100 just looks that badass to me.
I really like the direction video cameras are headed. Not just 10 years ago, these type of cameras - at this price point - were unthinkable.
 
That is right... Those ba*tard corporate overlords... How dare them not make the perfect camera for $5000.00!

I know that this observation is not going to be popular, but here goes... I can't help think that current affordable large sensor HD cams offer two distinct choices. With one you have a sensor designed for a $13,000.00 Cinealta line camera offered in a more affordable configuration. With the other you have a sensor designed for a $1000.00 DSLR repurposed in a more robust video camera configuration. We have all been banging our heads together for the last year and a half, give or take, crowing about the virtues and faults of the HD-DSLRs and now that there are cameras that expand the advantages of the HD-DSLRs and solve the biggest problems of those cameras, we are still not satisfied. I think that this new Sony camera is an amazing camera, as is the AF-100. I am going to buy one of them. What my decision is going to be made upon is which one I believe is going to give me the best image quality. That is yet to be established.

Same here. I've started shooting a 2 year project on a GH2 because I'm waiting to decide which to buy - AF100 or FS100. Will go with the best image quality - everything else is workable.
 
Back
Top