Night shooting question

wogelife

Member
I am starting work on a short documentary and will need to shoot in a really dark outdoor location while not being noticed (no lights allowed). I have a dvx, but i was thinking about getting a cheaper mini dv cam that has that night shot where everything turns green. What do you guys reccomend? Also, if I do take the route, will it work to mix that footage with interview and b-roll shot in 24pa in FCP?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
 
For blackout shots (not disturbing the wildlife) I use a DVC60 (the 30 works too) and 3 Sony HVL-IRM nightshot lights... The IRM's come with extension bars to mount them off to the side so I've got one on top of the cam and 1 on each side... This way I can focus all 3 into one zone or spread them out and get wide coverage...

Not sure about the 24pa, but it works fine mixing with 30p...
 
If you cant use lights, you definately need a nightshot camera. I had it on my trv70 works great from 10 ft and in. Best buy had a cheep sony with nightshot for like 300 bucks. You may need to buy an infrared attachment to get longer distances. I know they made those for that old trv70 as well. Course taint no 24p for those cams
 
i know there is going to be much noise, and i know they wont shoot in 24... its just a small percentage of my footage, but it is also going to be necessary... thanks for the suggestions..


any other ideas?
 
Back
Top