New Panasonic AG HC-X2 (HC-X1/UX180 successor)

There's nothing wrong with that clip. It's perfectly normal 1920x1080 video. Whatever problem you are having is in post.

TestFile.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	TestFile.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.5 KB ID:	5707250

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with that clip. It's perfectly normal 1920x1080 video. Whatever problem you are having is in post.

Correct, Premiere Pro shows it as 1080 and there is no problems with editing. I am just not sure why explorer shows it as 1072 and can not play it with any media player besides VLC. Is there a codec that I need to download and install for Windows? My UX180 doesn't not have this problem in mov with Windows. See resolution for the the file in the attached photo.

Attachments

• photo132001.png
    photo132001.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
Sorry, I'd love to help, but I don't do Windows. Anyone who chooses that platform for creative work has my sympathy. :)

Sorry, I'd love to help, but I don't do Windows. Anyone who chooses that platform for creative work has my sympathy. :)

That's funny, I bet the files will show okay on a Mac since they are mov. I have always been a windows user, maybe I don't know what I am missing and should try a Mac for change!

I don't do Windows either but there is obviously something you need to download or update for playback because a modern computer shouldn't have any issues.

As far as the frame size, if Premiere shows 1920x1080 then that's where all of the thinking should end on that...the others are just seeing how they want to based on how software works (or a browser window).

There shouldn't be a need to play mov files through windows explorer, use the video editor software that's what it's designed for. You can install Quicktime although Microsoft doesn't recommend it because it has security vulnerabilities. You have to do your own risk assessment. If you still feel the need I believe installing the free 3ivx codec could very well work. https://www.3ivx.com/download/windows.html

Last edited:
I tried to read and play the files on three different 2023 Windows 11 computers/laptops with the same results. To clarify, I mostly deliver raw files for long format conference presentations and my concern is that clients will encounter a similar problem. I guess I am going to have to encode the files to to mp4 before delivery. If Panasonic included mp4 1080p at 30p this would not have been an issue.

I tried to read and play the files on three different 2023 Windows 11 computers/laptops with the same results. To clarify, I mostly deliver raw files for long format conference presentations and my concern is that clients will encounter a similar problem. I guess I am going to have to encode the files to to mp4 before delivery. If Panasonic included mp4 1080p at 30p this would not have been an issue.
Don't get lazy. Deliverables should always be encoded. Camera files have large bitrates because they're intended to be edited. Because most of the image is static for conference type videos encoding it in significantly lower bitrate won't have adverse impact on image quality.

Last edited:
Do you have some experience with shoulder mount rigs?
What (reasonably priced) shoulder rig would be fit this camera?

Do you have some experience with shoulder mount rigs?
What (reasonably priced) shoulder rig would be fit this camera?
They don't make shoulder rigs for a specific camera. The good ones have a standard Manfrotto receiver plate found on tripod heads. This allows for seamless move to and from the rig.

The main reason for the shoulder rig it allows the camera to be located directly over your shoulder but that means you'll need an external monitor with an arm to extend forward so you can see what you're recording.

The main disadvantages of a shoulder rig are they're big unwieldy. When putting them down they can tip over, changing locations requires more work, you don't have direct access to the camera, it can amplify movement, and the high quality ones are expensive.

I've gotten them in the past but when it comes to run and gun work I end up holding the bare camera.

They do help hold the camera for extended time steady in a fixed position and allows the mounting of accessories like mic, monitor, and a light.

Yeah it's annoying but a lot of manufactures to this.

Just to update this with the news that Panasonic is again selling the charger. They don't have many in stock but they can special order to get any quantity in from Japan.

Cable

Part K2CA2YY00259

$5.81

Adapter

Part SAE0011AN

$57.30

Back