New Panasonic AG HC-X2 (HC-X1/UX180 successor)

firehawk

This one seems to have quietly flown in below radar. Looks interesting indeed. Owning a couple UX180s and HC-X1 I have always been frustrated by how close they were to being really great but the terrible LCD screen and limited functions to have on at the same time annoy me every time I use them.
  • Up to UHD 4K60 Video with Live Streaming
  • 15MP 1" MOS Sensor, 5-Axis Hybrid OIS+
  • Built-In Wi-Fi & Ethernet; HDMI/SDI Out
  • XLR Audio Inputs; Timecode In/Out
  • 20x Optical Zoom, 4K 24x/HD 32x i.Zoom
  • Built-In ND Filters, 120 fps Slow Motion
  • Up to 10-Bit UHD 4K60 4:2:0 & 4K30 4:2:2
  • Records MP4, MOV, AVCHD to Dual SD Slots
  • Wide 25.4mm Lens, 3.5" LCD Display
  • High-Speed AF with Face Detection
  • Price $3195 (same as original HC-X1 was before price drop)
LCD resolution: 2,760,000 Dot (HC-X2) vs 1,152,000 Dot (HC-X1 / UX180) yay!
Hopefully it isn't a mirror like before.

Looks like the HC-X2 replaces both the HC-X1 and UX180 since it now incorporates SDI which only the 180 had previously.
There is a step down HCX20 which I suppose might replace the UX90 / HC-X1?
If the face autofocus is better than the CX350 these could be great cameras.
In a few years I was likely planning to get some Canon XF605 or CX350 but the HC-X2 may be my next event cams instead.

Effective: 15.03 Megapixel vs old Effective: 9.46 Megapixel
Weight and body appear almost the same.
Looks like it cannot do DCI 4K 24p like the old UX180 could.
The EVF and LCD can both be on simultaneously now.
Wonder how it will do in low light? More Megapixels but also a 2016 camera vs 2022.
Still no 3.5 audio in like the XF605 has.
Looks like it also went to the LANC style 1 port remote control like the CX350 so all our old Panasonic Varizoom controllers won't work. But the Sony Lanc ones will, right?
Wonder if it can display focus peaking while recording now, and waveform?
And will it match with the old HC-X1 / UX180?
Looks like it's actually called HC-X2 and not AG HC-X2. Sorry.
Time will tell..

Last edited:
Looks like it might have the same sensor as the CX350 (15MP) and offers same frame rates and resolutions, just not all the same codecs. Non-Leica lens like the CX350. The X1 had Leica. The body looks almost identical to the X1, which is a good thing since it's body was a good size/balance/layout.

I realize a lot of people want interchangeable lens full frame cams now, but these DVX style cameras are still highly useful for a lot of jobs. I'd love to sell my other DVX style cams and buy 2 or 3 of these but I'll have to wait and do it in a couple years if I'm still around. Or I might just add one to my mix of UX180 / X1 if it will match up good enough

Watched a video on B&H and the images look quite nice. Looks like Panasonic has moved on from P2 as I can not see a higher level model like a CX350 V2 coming out that would be a meaningful step up from the HC-X2 and have P2 codecs. Not sure if it matters but P2 has been a great performer over the years.

Watched a video on B&H and the images look quite nice. Looks like Panasonic has moved on from P2 as I can not see a higher level model like a CX350 V2 coming out that would be a meaningful step up from the HC-X2 and have P2 codecs. Not sure if it matters but P2 has been a great performer over the years.

Yep. When P2 first came out, I likened it to MII(mistake too/two). I wanted no part of it. The cards were expensive and capacities small, that's why most of the early cameras(at least the HD cameras) had five card slots. But then card capacities increased and the prices seemed reasonable, for media that was bullet proof and re-usable for years and years(my cards are 11 years old and have only lost maybe 2 mins of capacity). I finally fully embraced the "system" after the 2700 had been out for a few years and jumped in, buying two. And I still shoot with mine for a lot of my broadcast/network work. As a matter of fact, I have a big multi-cam, multi-day live show next week and five of the six cameras we will be using will be 2700 P2 VariCam's. I STILL love these cameras. It's part of the reason that I'm so disappointed with the way everything has shaken out with Panasonic and the VariCam line. As funny as it sounds, I consider the Arri Amira more of the true successor/continuation of the first two generations of VariCam's, than the actual 3rd gen, the V35 & LT.

Yes. It seems the P2 encoding was not ever ported to 4k so the format is stuck in time at 1080p. Many are still in 1080 for live events etc...

While I like any kind of development in this space, the CX350 and the HC-X2 are a bit confusing imho. They are so close together that how would one choose between the two?

The CX350 and HC-X2 are confusingly similar.
Seems the 350 is a litle smaller(?), has certain codecs some might prefer?
X2 has more live stream built-in without additional purchase(?), more legacy codecs, lower price, brighter higher res LCD, and some additional functions.

Perhaps the X2 is from the same division as the X1 like the UX180 was from a different branch than the X1, thus the AG designation for AG-CX350 and AG-UX180 vs non AG for the HC-X1 and HC-X2. So that is why it is "competing"

I need DVX style cams for quite a lot of my jobs but the HC-X1, UX180, HMC-150 , AC90a all have annoying frustrating limitations. The X2 may have finally fixed most of these so it's tempting to sell them all and get some X2s.

Yes, I think both the new cameras are awesome cameras and represent culminations in the space. The only limitation I see with my CX350 is the highlight handling and auto iris exposure which has been largely worked around by menu settings. I wish it had Sony's variable ND thing but other than that it is about the perfect camera. I wonder if the HC-X2 will be even a step up since it is more recent.

Yes. It seems the P2 encoding was not ever ported to 4k so the format is stuck in time at 1080p. Many are still in 1080 for live events etc...

While I like any kind of development in this space, the CX350 and the HC-X2 are a bit confusing imho. They are so close together that how would one choose between the two?

P2 is just a form of media, like SxS or CFast, and you could record multiple codec’s on it. My 2700 could do DVCPro HD and AVC-INTRA 100 & 50 onto P2 cards. The LT and V35 are 4K cams and they use P2 Express and P2 cards. I demo’d the LT for about a month after it came out and I can’t remember if it was capable of writing 4K to the regular P2 card.

Bassman2003,
Did you update your CX350 to the later firmware that includes facetracking (or get a later model that already had that added) ?
If so, how good is it?
That and color were 2 reasons I was thinking of moving to Canon XF605s in a couple years. If the X2 looks nice and has good facetracking it would be less costly to move to it instead of Canons

Thanks Run & Gun. I was speaking too broadly, my bad. I equate P2 with the AVC-Intra & long GOP encoders in these ENG type cameras. I noticed that the 4k recording migrated to .MOV in the CX350 and took note that the AVC encoding along with the .MXF files stayed at 1080p. I was kind of expecting a 4k "normal" workflow with the .MXF files.

I have upgraded my CX350 to a current firmware but I have not tested the face tracking. I have never seen a problem with the AF for what I use the camera for, so it was not an area I wanted to see improvement. They really improved the LANC rear zoom controller behavior which I was very pleased about.

Size and weight are important too. One can not beat the CX350 compared to the XF605 or the Sony when it comes to bulk. Color is great with the CX350 given you have all of paint controls in the menu which I would guess are not as extensive on the other brands.

I have been heavily invested in the UX90 for 2- and 3-cam shoots, of which I have 12 (one suffering a bad main board with no smooth control over zoom). Now I need to increase my inventory.

The most important thing for me is color match in a live environment (more so than new functions/features/specs). I would be interested in knowing how well the X2 will match the X1. (And since I've never owned an UX180/HC-X1, I've not tried to match those to a UX90.)

My questions would be:

1) Will the X2 match the X1 for color?

2) (slightly off-topic but important baseline information for comparison) Does the UX90 match the UX180 for color?

My questions would be:

1) Will the X2 match the X1 for color?

2) (slightly off-topic but important baseline information for comparison) Does the UX90 match the UX180 for color?

Thank you. Wow you have a lot of UX90s :)
(2) I've read the UX90 is significantly different than the UX180 as far as matching and thus requires signifcant work to match.

(1) I am very curious if the X2 and X1 will match well for color. If they do I'm most almost for sure going to buy one to add to my mix. If not, then I'll most likely wait until they go down in price, then sell my others and buy several X2s, provided everything else pans out. My guess is the X2 is going to look more like the 350 than X1 but that is based purely because the 350 and X2 appear to have same sensor.

Still watching for tests but found nothing yet. They just started shipping recently

Thank you. Wow you have a lot of UX90s :)
(2) I've read the UX90 is significantly different than the UX180 as far as matching and thus requires signifcant work to match.

(1) I am very curious if the X2 and X1 will match well for color. If they do I'm most almost for sure going to buy one to add to my mix. If not, then I'll most likely wait until they go down in price, then sell my others and buy several X2s, provided everything else pans out. My guess is the X2 is going to look more like the 350 than X1 but that is based purely because the 350 and X2 appear to have same sensor.

Still watching for tests but found nothing yet. They just started shipping recently

I'm very fortunate that you were out here with your topic and very helpful answers. Thank you!

Since I decided years ago on a camera for my "fleet" I haven't paid much attention. I was unaware of the difference in color science between the 90 and the 180. I assumed that they would match well, since they came from the same panasonic group. Now I'm even more convinced that I should pick up a few more 90s while they can still be found. They work well for me in a multicam live environment. They also cut well for me with the S1 and S5, and with the Phantom 4 Pro. I will have to consider though perhaps moving slowly to the X2/X1 for whatever is new about them. (I haven't sat down to make a close comparison on specs yet.)

I thank you again, and hope this thread will grow with more reports from you and others!

I almost bought a UX90 to go with my UX180/ X1 team (they are same camera minus SDI) but I like 4KUHD 60P and when I read they were different from 90 & require work to match I decided against it. I got really tired of color matching cameras through the years and decided life is easier to buy all the same. If the 90s are still serving you well, and you already have so many, then maybe pick up more 90s so they are the same without extra work. Plus they are cheaper. The batteries are all the same so in the future if you moved to X2s you'd alrady have extras.

GAS is tempting me to go ahead and order an X2 so I can test it with my X1 / 180 and then post results so I and everyone can know if they match. But I need to be reasonable. I have a building project that is more important, and my current cameras get the job done, they are just frustrating to use with all their limitations that the X2 seems to have addressed.

I almost bought a UX90 to go with my UX180/ X1 team (they are same camera minus SDI) but I like 4KUHD 60P and when I read they were different from 90 & require work to match I decided against it. I got really tired of color matching cameras through the years and decided life is easier to buy all the same. If the 90s are still serving you well, and you already have so many, then maybe pick up more 90s so they are the same without extra work. Plus they are cheaper. The batteries are all the same so in the future if you moved to X2s you'd alrady have extras.

GAS is tempting me to go ahead and order an X2 so I can test it with my X1 / 180 and then post results so I and everyone can know if they match. But I need to be reasonable. I have a building project that is more important, and my current cameras get the job done, they are just frustrating to use with all their limitations that the X2 seems to have addressed.

Another option for me might be to get 3 of the HC-X2 or the HC-X20, and start upgrading my inventory slowly. Why buy 5-yr-old technology and features?

Another option for me might be to get 3 of the HC-X2 or the HC-X20, and start upgrading my inventory slowly. Why buy 5-yr-old technology and features?

That should work. The HC-X20 should be a step up in every way from the UX90, and save money over the HC-X2, unless you need the extra features of the X2 such as SDI. The X20 and X2 should color match each other great since they are the same camera except some features and connection changes. The only con I see would be in the transition period where you have both the UX90s and the new cameras they likely will need work matching unless you simply only use the X20/X2 together and 90s together at different events. You don't actually use 12 cameras at once on the same job do you?

Back