New firmware! Odyssey 7Q & + firmware 5

The source is Slog2 RAW. My problem is that while 4K RAW in C7Q appears to give rather noiseless output, doing the same with 4K RAW to 4K ProRes doesn't. This puzzles me. Anything below 15 IRE has notable amount of noise. So, atm, recording RAW and converting that to ProRes in Resolve gives better results than doing ProRes direct in C7Q. So, I am wondering what I do wrong :) But then again, I have no idea what's the bitrate for 4K 422 in C7Q. The manuals speak about 220mbps, but that is for HD 29.97p. Anybody know the actual bitrate for 4K 422(HQ)?

Perhaps Resolve has some noise reduction built into its RAW processing? It may be using a more complex debayer process than what the 7Q uses internally.

As for ProRes bitrates check page 21-22 of the ProRes whitepaper: https://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper.pdf

4k 24p HQ is 754Mbps or ~95MBps. When figuring out bitrates in my head, I usually use the guide that HD HQ 24p ProRes is ~25MBps, so quadruple that for QHD/4K, and halve it for LT, etc.
 
Last edited:
Well, that's encouraging, since I was waiting to get ProRes 444 with this update.

Btw, since you're the expert, I have an issue, most likely due to being a newbie at this. I have FS700+C7Q combo with Canon's CN7x17 lens. I recorded 4K ProRes 422 file just to test things, and it is quite noisy in the shadows in comparison to 4K RAW. I know this is probably more a camera issue than C7Q issue, but what C7Q IRE levels shown in the OLED you would consider safe to keeping shadows clean? Also, how much can I go over 109 IRE (or none?) before I can't pull highlights back in Resolve?
I believe others have answered the exposure question already, but I will note that above 109% the signal is clipped and that is it.

As far as a compressed 444 recording, I believe I stated here on the forum that it wasn't going to be in the March release. We did put out a roadmap a couple of months ago and if you read it carefully you may get a sense of when to expect this, although there are no guarantees. Here's the link:

http://www.convergent-design.com/co...gent-design-moving-forward-looking-ahead.html
 
Hi Mitch. Love the latest firmware so thank you and all the team for your great work.

One simple feature I would love to see soon is the ability to letterbox the frame guides, ie black bar on top and bottom. BMD have done this in their latest camera firmware and I love it. Is this something that is planned or could be easily implemented?
 
Hi Mitch. Love the latest firmware so thank you and all the team for your great work.

One simple feature I would love to see soon is the ability to letterbox the frame guides, ie black bar on top and bottom. BMD have done this in their latest camera firmware and I love it. Is this something that is planned or could be easily implemented?
Yes, this is coming. We will allow shading in different densities. Sometimes it is good to not be fully opaque.

It can get complicated since we allow so many frame guides at once -- up to five (four custom and one standard). The plan is to allow the selection of shading instead of a line for one of them, after which the choice becomes unavailable for the others.

BTW, I recently saw someone use all five frame guides for a shot, something I didn't think possible, or at least realistic. There were two primary frames selected, then two boxes noting where mattes were required, a box as a guide point for where a pan needed to land (it framed a small object in the shot) and finally a box for where the actress needed to hit her mark. It was a fairly precise FX shot and they wanted to make sure that the perspectives all lined up correctly. I'm told it worked great and saved them a fortune in post.
 
Yes, this is coming. We will allow shading in different densities. Sometimes it is good to not be fully opaque.

It can get complicated since we allow so many frame guides at once -- up to five (four custom and one standard). The plan is to allow the selection of shading instead of a line for one of them, after which the choice becomes unavailable for the others.

BTW, I recently saw someone use all five frame guides for a shot, something I didn't think possible, or at least realistic. There were two primary frames selected, then two boxes noting where mattes were required, a box as a guide point for where a pan needed to land (it framed a small object in the shot) and finally a box for where the actress needed to hit her mark. It was a fairly precise FX shot and they wanted to make sure that the perspectives all lined up correctly. I'm told it worked great and saved them a fortune in post.

Awesome, thanks Mitch.

Great idea with using multiple guides too. Could help me get around the lack of onion skinning (nudge nudge :happy: )
 
I believe others have answered the exposure question already, but I will note that above 109% the signal is clipped and that is it.

As far as a compressed 444 recording, I believe I stated here on the forum that it wasn't going to be in the March release. We did put out a roadmap a couple of months ago and if you read it carefully you may get a sense of when to expect this, although there are no guarantees. Here's the link:

http://www.convergent-design.com/co...gent-design-moving-forward-looking-ahead.html

Thank you Mitch. I am sorry I must have missed your previous communications, as I was unaware of the list. Nonetheless, the future is looking good :)
 
What kind of debayer is used in raw->prores? Definitely looks a little more alias-y and noisy than I hoped, even well above the shadows. Is this something that will/can be improved in the future?
 
What kind of debayer is used in raw->prores? Definitely looks a little more alias-y and noisy than I hoped, even well above the shadows. Is this something that will/can be improved in the future?
Possibly. We are always looking at ways to improve our product.
 
Just FYI, my 4K/120fps>ProRes wasn't working because I hadn't updated the camera's firmware. Everything is peachy now running v3.10.
 
Back
Top