My Xlh1 Footage For You To Download And See.

No. I'm Robert Sanders over at DVI (and in real life). I'm relatively new to these boards. Been shooting since the DV revolution in the mid-nineties.

I accidentally setup my screen name wrong when I signed up here and it ended up being my email addy. I wish I could change it.

I've been using your "california blond" clip and color correcting it in FCP using Color Finesse. I've been able to create several different looks with it. Very very cool.

You may have inadvertently changed the way I start shooting my HD master by boosting saturation and tweaking the matrix in-camera.
 
These images do look great.

I messed around and did some CC (cause I can) and cooled it down and took out that orange carrot cast. The levels are a little bit over 100 than I like (The hair highlights) but I think the blue helps overall

B4

3CALIFORNIABLONDECOLORCORRECTED.jpg


AFTA

chicky9rr.jpg
 
Thanks John!

That's cool looking John. I actually love to shoot very extreme blues. I will have to put some up. I like the look of Cinematographers Russell Carpenter Russell J. Lyster did for T2.

I love the look of Cinematographer Dante Spinotti for Mann's Heat and The Insider.

To understand my style though is to understand my mentors and inspirations.

The work of cinematographer Vitorio Storaro! Allen Daviau ( his look in Empire of The Sun ect ). The cinematography of Gordon Willis for GF. The Painter CARAVAGGIO are a major influence on tone and texture with me. As well modern painters like Odd Nerdrum's work. Just to name a few.

See if you know that then it's not really a carrot look IMO.

As well I love to mix ultra cold blue with intense warms for dramatic effects that evoke strong feelings. Those shots above are more classic looking with a tone that is calming and pleasing.

Remember the first rule taught in art school is. "" There are no rules "" I live by this Credo!

Pappas



John_Hudson said:
These images do look great.

I messed around and did some CC (cause I can) and cooled it down and took out that orange carrot cast. The levels are a little bit over 100 than I like (The hair highlights) but I think the blue helps overall
 
Last edited:
starway2001@mac.com said:
You may have inadvertently changed the way I start shooting my HD master by boosting saturation and tweaking the matrix in-camera.

Might want to be careful with this approach if your shots show a fair amount of CA. I've seen it most on wides with the 20x. Then again, I hear there are ways to lessen CA in post, so maybe the point is moot.

Graeme, if you read this...how 'bout a CA reduction plug-in in FCP or Final Touch?
 
Brilliant footage Michael! I'm without words... I'm just thinking to consider this one. My major problem is the uncompressed audio to theatrical release purposes, what do you think?

BTW, John, good proposals, nice touch!
 
Thanks Emanuel!

As for sound, the H1 hooked up to a Sennheiser MKH 416 0r 418 will have sound beautiful. The human voice is no major issue here. Now I wouldn't record a concert for purity. Btw, you can use a portable audio recording system too!

Yes I do like what John did, the blue he brought out in the backgound gives it an edge that brings a feeling of fast and motivation to the image, where is mine was a classic tone that makes the world seem peachy by the beach.

Emanuel did you see the latest XLH1 Black and White footage?

Link: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=49764

Pappas
 
can u put your xl-h1 CPF file on here......

I very like your fooooootage

and want my H1 same than your's HAHA

please......give me your CPF file.......THX SO MUCH.........
 
PappasArts said:
Thanks Emanuel!
Sorry Michael but only today I saw your post.
As for sound, the H1 hooked up to a Sennheiser MKH 416 0r 418 will have sound beautiful. The human voice is no major issue here. Now I wouldn't record a concert for purity. Btw, you can use a portable audio recording system too!
My Canon problem is with the compressed audio. Do you think that there isn't a problem to dialogue(s) capture? My idea is the same but follow this thread that I opened where Ty Ford answered about my concern: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=43813

Emanuel did you see the latest XLH1 Black and White footage?

Link: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=49764

Pappas
I'm not sure if I saw all your latest XL-H1 B&W footage (this link doesn't work). At least, I've twelve of your files. As all of your footage, I also liked, indeed. But I can confess that I'd prefer the B&W HD100 footage. Grainy but more filmic IMHO...

I also read your post about aliasing issue with the red filter. Is this only with that one? Or your idea that it's easier to get this pixelization hassle with the Canon than the JVC?

I also read your thread concerning your XL-H1 sale -- did you? Do you prefer the HD100? As you well know, your answers are very important to this community that follows your options as the guru that you are to any HD buyer (drummerhot, for instance -- did you see his words and the help that he asks to you?). In my particular case, I'm waiting for the NAB & May to test several cams in order to a 35mm film-out blow-up: [at least] HD100 + HD7000 (if available then), GV Infinity (available@May) & Sony PDW-F330? Any guess?
 
Emanuel,

I've used Sennheiser's with the H HDV and it is great quality, particularly for human speech. If it's such a worry, go dual system. That's what I'd do with the Tascam HDP2 recorder if I were shooting a movie. But if all I had was the camera for audio recording, I wouldn't have any qualms whatsoever.
 
Back
Top