My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!

I want to pull the trigger on this (no pun intended) but I'm afraid I'll get shot here in LA trying to run-n-gun with this setup.

Even if it's camo green, it still looks dangerous and if its' orange then it draws even more attention. =T
 
I want to pull the trigger on this (no pun intended) but I'm afraid I'll get shot here in LA trying to run-n-gun with this setup.

Even if it's camo green, it still looks dangerous and if its' orange then it draws even more attention. =T

not exactly stealthy Kholi stylee
 
=T I know. But this thing has to be stabilized. All of them do. Without OIS/IS it's a real pain in the ass and like Dan says, 50mm is a chore and on Full Frame that's not even THAT Telephoto.

This rig is calling me, though. Been considering a Glidecam 4000... hmmm.
 
try a steadytracker. I have both the extreme and the ultralite. there's some example clips on youtube. looks a bit monopod like so sorta stealthish.

good for running with but I haven't quite nailed it walking
 
Tokina 12-24 F4.0

Hmmmm....

Why that lens?

That lens is designed for APS-C cameras only.
Are you still able to get a decent image with slight vignetting or is there a different application for this lens on the 5DmkII I'm not aware of?

If it were on a Nikon D3 or D700 I'd not even raise the question because I know those cameras have a crop mode, but the 5DmkII does not, from what I understand.
So that's why I'm confused with the lens you have on that camera.
 
... also

I think I've even heard that trying to shoot with an APS-C lens on Canon's full frame could cause damage to the mirror.

from DPreview 5DmkII Specs rundown:
Canon EF lens mount (does not support EF-S lenses)

I hope you aren't hurting your camera dude.
 
Last edited:
That's only for Canon's own EF-S mount. A third-Party DX lens will simlpy vignette horribly. I don't know about the Tokina lens, but if I were looking for an ultrawide zoom for full-frame, I'd think Sigma 12-24. It's a bit slow but has a good reputation. Heck, at 12 mm even on FF everything's going to be in focus anyway!
Dave
 
yeah, my best advice, if your gonna shoot music videos
in the hood.

paint ONE SIDE BLUE, ONE SIDE red,

and pray!
 
Hi Digigenic:

I am using that lens because I had it laying around and I am cheap. It actually works quite well. I am convinced that because it is in Nikon mount and I am using a Nikon F mount to EOS adapter, it is not hitting anything. It fits onto the camera easily and whether taking stills or video, works fine.

Does it vignette? Yes, from 12mm to 18.5mm. After 18.5mm, the vignetting is out of frame, once again, works well with no vignetting. 18.5mm is still an ultra wide FOV. So I could use this lens, which I already own, or shell out many hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a Nikon (I have three other Nikon bodies) or a Canon (this is my only Canon body besides an old AE-1) that would be essentially redundant and not as wide, unless I spent the money on the Canon 16mm or the 17-40.

Is it wrong to use a DX lens on a FF body? ;-) Not really. If it works well and I am obtaining good results, why should it matter? I like using gear in ways that others wouldn't when the result justifies the means.

Dan
 
Last edited:
yeah, my best advice, if your gonna shoot music videos
in the hood.

paint ONE SIDE BLUE, ONE SIDE red,

and pray!

I worked on a couple of projects that shot in South Central LA last year snd I just was DP on a project that shot out in East LA in March. Pretty much if you are working there during the daylight hours, you are fine. If you are out during the night, those are not good places to be at all.

I can only imagine how crazy it would have been to be walking around those areas with this rig. We had two armed guards with us in South Central and three CHP officers with us in East LA. It is kind of weird shooting areas that require armed escorts to keep you from getting mugged or shot.

Dan
 
Is it wrong to use a DX lens on a FF body? ;-) Not really. If it works well and I am obtaining good results, why should it matter? I like using gear in ways that others wouldn't when the result justifies the means.

Dan

I use a Tokina 50-135 / 2.8 together with a Kenko 1.4 Pro Extender on my 5D2. There is no vignetting with this setup and the resulting image/movie quality is very good (even when compared to the kit lens).

Btw. I would cover the viewfinder with a tape when taking movies.
 
Dan, when you have a chance can you post up some walking and panning footage from this setup? I really want to buy it, I'm afraid of getting in trouble.
 
Ya I love the look of the rig ... just worries me a bit about getting the rubber gloves and tazer treatment here at Vancouver airport when leaving town to go shoot (film) something...:huh:
 
I wish I could shoot something but I have two articles due and I have a 35 minute edit of a show due Monday, then I leave for Europe next week. I haven't even updated the firmware on my 5D MKII, that is how busy I have been. I only snapped those pics because I was waiting for a render output from Visual Hub to post a clip for the client.

I am dying to go shoot something but have not touched the camera for two weeks. Editing has been paying the bills lately.

D
 
Hi Digigenic:

I am using that lens because I had it laying around and I am cheap. It actually works quite well. I am convinced that because it is in Nikon mount and I am using a Nikon F mount to EOS adapter, it is not hitting anything. It fits onto the camera easily and whether taking stills or video, works fine.

Does it vignette? Yes, from 12mm to 18.5mm. After 18.5mm, the vignetting is out of frame, once again, works well with no vignetting. 18.5mm is still an ultra wide FOV. So I could use this lens, which I already own, or shell out many hundreds or even thousands of dollars for a Nikon (I have three other Nikon bodies) or a Canon (this is my only Canon body besides an old AE-1) that would be essentially redundant and not as wide, unless I spent the money on the Canon 16mm or the 17-40.

Is it wrong to use a DX lens on a FF body? ;-) Not really. If it works well and I am obtaining good results, why should it matter? I like using gear in ways that others wouldn't when the result justifies the means.

Dan
That's really great to hear.
I had been seeing elsewhere that people were mounting the new Nikon 35mm f1.8 DX on FX Nikons and only seeing slight vignetting, so I knew it wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility that other crop lenses could be used on full frame, I just wasn't aware that it would be as easy with Canon via the adapter.
How are you able to adjust the aperture on that lens?
 
it is FRANCE with this rig you ,all the local will be shouting -I SURRENDER , I SURRENDER.......


I just came back from Paris and the army is patrolling inside shopping malls with automatic weapons and full on battle gear.

I'd like to see who shouts "I surrender" if they thought you were up to no good. :-)

-X
 
That's really great to hear.
How are you able to adjust the aperture on that lens?

I have a piece of folded up index card in the aperture mechanism on the back of the lens so it stays at f4.0. With some tweaking you could probably get it to stay at 5.6 or 8.0 if you wanted to but no way to definitively tell exactly what aperture the lens is at besides wide open (f4.0). Luckily an 18.5mm focal length at f4.0 means almost everything from a few feet to infinity is in focus.

Dan
 
Back
Top