My 5D MKII Goes Handheld Doc style!

puredrifting

Major Contributor
With a wide angle lens and this rig, I am actually getting some pretty good handheld footage.The 50mm 1.4 becomes more challenging although still usable. 85mm and longer, not so much, need a tripod or the monopod. The Bushhawk is pretty impressive for the money, not as rock solid as a Zacuto package but about 1/10th the cost.

Pictured
Canon 5D MKII
Tokina 12-24 F4.0
Singh Ray Vari ND (not pictured)
Manfrotto 482LC hot shoe mount
Zoom H4N
Gig Wig
Zacuto Z-Finder
Bushhawk 300sV
Bushhawk QR400 quick release plate

Bushhawk even includes a nice wireless mic receiver bracket that screws on the right side handle (not pictured because I am not using wireless for the next shoot with this rig).
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php


Enjoy!

D
 
I know, it does look rather militaristic, doesn't it? They have similar brackets in olive and camo as well ;-)

D
 
perfect rig, Dan. Please tell me where you got that from so I can get one. Iw as going to go with the manfrotto but this looks PERFECT.
 
definitely something worth adding to the arsenal....comes in olive drab too......I recommend safety orange for you trigger happy americans :kali:
 
Hopefully it won't freak people out as I am photographing a doc all over France this month. The Bushhawk seems like a really nice value. It's not steel and killer fittings like the Zacuto and has some flex but it does seem to work pretty well overall and since I will be shooting handheld, walking all over the country, I had to get something light and small. Breaks down pretty amazingly tiny too for flying.

This one is the 300sV, also useful for smaller video cams like the HPX. Not sure how an HVX or EX1 would fare on it. It is a very good value for the money IMHO.

Let me know what color you buy Kholi.

Dan
 
Last edited:
I'd be afraid some trigger happy cop (Being polite) would shoot first, then alter the evidence later.
If they could shoot someone dead who was just sitting in a tube train, or carrying a table leg, what chance have you got with one of those things:furious3:
Dave
 
Oh boy, now you have me paranoid. Not worth getting myself shot over. Maybe I should have bought the orange one. I am also bringing a monopod and tripod so I guess I will just feel out the situations.

Dan
 
Dan,
your setup looks impressive!
But why don´t you take the HPX for your doc? Is it a personal project? And how is runningangunning with your rig? Any footage yet?
I´m really thinking about the 5D more and more, besides sound (wich you solved inovatively!) I´m still wondering about focusing on the run and in general.
My next cam needs to have a highres screen, witout the need for an extra 7"...
 
Yeah it does look like you're walking around with a weapon.

Maybe just wrap some orange tape around it or something?
 
Hi Spartacus:

Need to take a still camera (Nikon D300 w flash and lenses) and the HPX170 plus batteries, charger, P2 cards, hard drives, laptop, bigger tripod, etc.

5D MKII can take excellent stills and video and I am the owner of 10 32GB CF cards so not bringing a computer, drives, etc. I wanted to travel as light as possible, not bring any video lights, etc. so the 5D MKII and the Zoom H4N seemed to fit the bill. Personal doc that could go commercial if it turns out well. Have about a year or two of shooting on it besides this trip to Europe though.

D
 
Last edited:
How about a small white flag?

or maybe a shirt that says "I'm a lover not a fighter"

lmao no they'll think you're a feral hippie and shoot you for sure!

just be mindful and yeah maybe the orange tape if you have to go anywhere a bit dicey. if you're out in the bush doin nature stuff it's all good.
 
Funny you mention that John, I told the wife the exact same thing. We are from Vancouver, not LA. Right now is a dicey time to appear to be too American when traveling internationally, we are being blamed for this entire global economic meltdown, whether true or not. I am a Canadian filmmaker, shooting this doc in France.

Me oui?

Dan
 
Back
Top