Grug
Veteran
Hi guys,
Well after about 7 years of scrambling, and doing what I can to stay on Mac OS (mostly due to FCP and Prores), I find myself at an interesting crossroads. The last few years I eked by with a Mac Pro 5,1 stuffed to the gill with the newest tech that I could put it in.*
Then FINALLY the new Mac Pro arrives… and it’s literally twice the price I’d feared. Now I know that this isn’t really an Apple tax at all, it’s an intel tax for those Xeon components, but the cost is still wild. Being as tight-arsed as a literal month of spreadsheeting computer components can make a person, I’ve poured over performance benchmarks and scrambled to assemble 3rd-party GPU and NVME components to help make the upgrade as financially viable as possible, and eke as much bang-for-buck as possible out of the system.
Even so, I still end up with $16,000-$18,000 AUD system (depending on the final mass storage solution) and that’s not even for anything all that fancy (and INCLUDING a 6% Small Business discount):
- 12-core XEON
- 96GB RAM (3rd Party)
- 2x Radeon VII 16GB (3rd Party)
- 1TB Boot Drive
- 4TB NVME Cache Drive (3rd Party)
I’ve basically written off my brain for the past month creating spreadsheet after spreadsheet of different component costs and configurations. Weighing up Mac Pro options compared to Macbook Pro 16” + dual eGPU options, compared to PC-based Threadripper 3 builds.
After all of that back and forth and mental anguish, I ultimately decided that I just wanted the solidness, reliability and simplicity of sticking with the Mac Pro. So I girded my loins, and put in an order with Apple while I was still eligible to get a 12-month interest free deal on it…
And now it appears the credit company they’re using won’t front me more than 25% of the total interest-free.* Which puts me in a bind. I’m not really willing to put that much money down in one hit. And the last-minute trauma of the purchasing dramas (after SO much build-up to actually deciding to do it), has me thinking that maybe this is the universe telling me it’s finally time to go back to PC for a while.
Looking into it further I learnt that you can now (fairly) easily encode Prores on Windows now thank to Adobe. And I gather you can actually do it from Media Encoder, which I understand is free(?), so you don’t even need to have a CC subscription to do so (I only subscribe to CC when I have projects that require me to use Premiere for a month or two).
And if that’s the case, that kinda eliminates one of the biggest deal-breakers of Windows for me (because practically every master file I deliver these days is Prores).
Software-wise, it’ll suck having to re-buy some things. But since probably 99% of my time on my current Mac Pro is spent either in Davinci, Chrome, or Microsoft Office there’s really not all that much to tether me to MacOS anymore (especially since even upgrading the 5,1 to Mojave seems fraught with danger and Catalina is a no-go).
All of which is a very long and convoluted way to bring myself around to asking the question: what’s making the move to PC like?
- Can you preview Prores or .MXF files in the Windows Explorer browser like you can with the Preview app in OSX? Does Windows generate thumbnails for you? Or are there any 3rd party applications that will give you this functionality.
- How painful is working with Prores on PC in general these days? (are there any particularly frustrating things about it?)
- How bad is the malware/virus situation on Windows these days? I don’t really visit any dodgy websites in my old age, but it was a constant issue for me back in the day (and that was with considerable vigilance) and it’s something I haven’t had to worry about for the past 14 years that I’ve been on Mac.
- For those of you who have made the move, is there anything in particular you miss about OSX?
- And is there anything you particularly hate about Windows?*
- Are the CONSTANT software updates on Windows still a thing? Are you able to turn them off?
I’d appreciate any advice about the transition that anyone can offer. Even at the significantly cheaper cost of moving to a 24-core Threadripper 3 system, it's still a near $9,000 outlay.
Cheers
Well after about 7 years of scrambling, and doing what I can to stay on Mac OS (mostly due to FCP and Prores), I find myself at an interesting crossroads. The last few years I eked by with a Mac Pro 5,1 stuffed to the gill with the newest tech that I could put it in.*
Then FINALLY the new Mac Pro arrives… and it’s literally twice the price I’d feared. Now I know that this isn’t really an Apple tax at all, it’s an intel tax for those Xeon components, but the cost is still wild. Being as tight-arsed as a literal month of spreadsheeting computer components can make a person, I’ve poured over performance benchmarks and scrambled to assemble 3rd-party GPU and NVME components to help make the upgrade as financially viable as possible, and eke as much bang-for-buck as possible out of the system.
Even so, I still end up with $16,000-$18,000 AUD system (depending on the final mass storage solution) and that’s not even for anything all that fancy (and INCLUDING a 6% Small Business discount):
- 12-core XEON
- 96GB RAM (3rd Party)
- 2x Radeon VII 16GB (3rd Party)
- 1TB Boot Drive
- 4TB NVME Cache Drive (3rd Party)
I’ve basically written off my brain for the past month creating spreadsheet after spreadsheet of different component costs and configurations. Weighing up Mac Pro options compared to Macbook Pro 16” + dual eGPU options, compared to PC-based Threadripper 3 builds.
After all of that back and forth and mental anguish, I ultimately decided that I just wanted the solidness, reliability and simplicity of sticking with the Mac Pro. So I girded my loins, and put in an order with Apple while I was still eligible to get a 12-month interest free deal on it…
And now it appears the credit company they’re using won’t front me more than 25% of the total interest-free.* Which puts me in a bind. I’m not really willing to put that much money down in one hit. And the last-minute trauma of the purchasing dramas (after SO much build-up to actually deciding to do it), has me thinking that maybe this is the universe telling me it’s finally time to go back to PC for a while.
Looking into it further I learnt that you can now (fairly) easily encode Prores on Windows now thank to Adobe. And I gather you can actually do it from Media Encoder, which I understand is free(?), so you don’t even need to have a CC subscription to do so (I only subscribe to CC when I have projects that require me to use Premiere for a month or two).
And if that’s the case, that kinda eliminates one of the biggest deal-breakers of Windows for me (because practically every master file I deliver these days is Prores).
Software-wise, it’ll suck having to re-buy some things. But since probably 99% of my time on my current Mac Pro is spent either in Davinci, Chrome, or Microsoft Office there’s really not all that much to tether me to MacOS anymore (especially since even upgrading the 5,1 to Mojave seems fraught with danger and Catalina is a no-go).
All of which is a very long and convoluted way to bring myself around to asking the question: what’s making the move to PC like?
- Can you preview Prores or .MXF files in the Windows Explorer browser like you can with the Preview app in OSX? Does Windows generate thumbnails for you? Or are there any 3rd party applications that will give you this functionality.
- How painful is working with Prores on PC in general these days? (are there any particularly frustrating things about it?)
- How bad is the malware/virus situation on Windows these days? I don’t really visit any dodgy websites in my old age, but it was a constant issue for me back in the day (and that was with considerable vigilance) and it’s something I haven’t had to worry about for the past 14 years that I’ve been on Mac.
- For those of you who have made the move, is there anything in particular you miss about OSX?
- And is there anything you particularly hate about Windows?*
- Are the CONSTANT software updates on Windows still a thing? Are you able to turn them off?
I’d appreciate any advice about the transition that anyone can offer. Even at the significantly cheaper cost of moving to a 24-core Threadripper 3 system, it's still a near $9,000 outlay.
Cheers