More info...

ts1 said:
How hard can it be if film can do it photochemically? On the other hand jpeg engines of DSLRs can't do a good job of it. Makes no sense to me.

-Tripurari

Because a JPG stores a small fraction of the data from the film/sensor. Plus those little processors in the cameras just don't have the power to make perfect choices every time. hell, even some of the time.

The beauty of the RAW work flow is you have as much data (if not more) as a frame of film. You work with RAW data just as you do with real film. Take a shot (give yourself a little latitude if you can afford the darkroom). Then print that negative over and over until you get the look you want. A good photo explodes into greatness in the darkroom.

Jim printed this shot and decided he didn't like the blown out highlights. So, he went back and reprinted from that RAW. It's just like working with good film .. .Only better. Instant feedback!
 
Jannard said:
I personally would reserve sharpening to still frame grabs. Motion needs to "feel" right. And we have PLENTY of resolution without needing to add sharpness for it to look right.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I agree, I don't like any myself.

Stephen
 
If there was one thing that kills the quality of any hollywood DVD that I've bough, it's sharpening. It's so gross it's terrible! That's the worst example, but, with digital movies in the cinema, 28 days had it bad also, so yes, it's something we have to avoid, and have the resolution to avoid!

Graeme
 
yes

yes

if you want a sharper image, go buy a better lens or stop down. Electronic sharpness, detail, crisp or whatever just messes things up.
I remember back in the days, removing the side panel from my betaSP 300 camcorder to shut detail down. AVR75 in my AVID did enough edge enhancement on its own.

Yeah and one thing. Will the redone have a lo pass filter and if so will it be removable?
Johlan
 
Last edited:
Jannard said:
I personally would reserve sharpening to still frame grabs. Motion needs to "feel" right. And we have PLENTY of resolution without needing to add sharpness for it to look right.

Jim
I fully agree. I hadn't seen any film-like pictures coming from a digital camera like these recent ones. Good clues for the RED ONE customer. I'd add: this look is what I could expect.
 
Also to point out, that "sharpness" is one of the things that makes 24p look more stuttery on video than it does on film. Lack of edge enhancement and shallow DOF is what lets film "get away" with the lower fps that doesn't look quite the same on video.
 
I'm not a techie but IMHO if we have (1) resolution plus a (2) clean image and (3) that look, it will be possible to have any size for our pictures, that is, a great big screen.
 
Hey Graeme,

Along those lines, I compared your film effects software to Magic Bullet and liked yours much better specifically because your's produces much less stobing of the motion than does MB. I have heard people say that you just have to live with the strobing when converting 29.97i to 24p but your plugins prove otherwise.
 
Great results! Impressed! A joy to play around with in photoshop.

When can we expect to see some new design renders of the camera? Dying to see...
 
Yepp. Can´t go against you there. It´s been done a lot with the c-anamorphic´s I have learned.

Abot low pass filtering does anybody know about that i RED. It was mentioned here somewhere that one of the posted images was without lowpass filter. Will it come whit one or more?

Johlan
 
The recent images where shot with a low pass and IR filter, Still testing to see what gives the best results.
 
Back
Top