Money involved with these films

Thomas Lew

Well-known member
I've been reading through all of the threads people have posted about their films currently being shot for lossfest, and it seems that mostly everybody is running a relatively higher level of production (such as using real actors compared to friends you know, renting out places for sets, etc.)

Coming from my standpoint, an amateur student filmmaker in college, I am pretty much in awe of the level of production being used in these films.

So I was curious about something.. how is money involved with your lossfest film entries? (to the people currently entering)

Are you paying your actors?.. your crew?

Are you paying to shoot in certain locations?

Do you profit off of the produced films?

What happens to the films after lossfest? Do you run them through other festivals?
 
Many of us do make these films with a longer life in mind. In my thread, I talk about that with my entry.

As for money, many people do put some money into them I guess, but much is also voluntary. Many people crew for one another. As for actors, I happen to have relationships with some, so they usually like to work with me.

Same with locations. I will have some good ones in this film, but they are all coming through friends, so costing me nothing.

But the amount you spend means nothing to how good your film will be.
 
Are you paying your actors?.. your crew?

Are you paying to shoot in certain locations?

Do you profit off of the produced films?

What happens to the films after lossfest? Do you run them through other festivals?
1. Deferred.
2. No.
3. Not immediately, no. But this segues into the next question...
4. They will be part of something bigger. :lipsrseal
 
Yeah, gotcha. Still doesn't matter. Zak's film, which didn't even place, has gone on a life much longer and more successful than any winner I can remember...
 
spent $37 on Indian food to feed the cast and crew. the six minute cut "unofficially" came in fifth at LoveFest. nine minute cut won six jury and audience awards at various fests in Los Angeles, London and elsewhere. acquired a sales agent who has provided several distribution opportunities. knock yourself out...

offical site... http://www.sabipictures.com/ifhy/

available at amazon... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PBJGPS

convinced the only way to actually make money on a short is to create bonus content and "how to's" and market directly to other filmmakers. but i'm not likely to do that. the chapter on IFHY is done.
 
Last edited:
'Halfway' came third in horrorfest and we spent $60ish on a strobe light and a sack; filmed in a pub roud the corner of my house with 2 people in total (sometimes 3) who also doubled as actors in it.

I remember one shot where Mark needed to be in it but I also needed to writhe in the sack so we had no-one to op camera. It was all a handheld short, so I had to lock the shot off on a tripod, push record, get into the sack, and add 'shake' in post to make it fit with the rest of the footage. That's not an uncommon way to work in these fests.

However 'Broadcast' cost more like $1600. In some ways it was intentional to spread out a bit, and the script called for many different locations, some were free, some I had no choice but to pay for ($500 for the studio shoot). Also to film in the free locations we needed public liability insurance for the year which we have never paid out for before - big chunk.

But it all adds up, a few props here and there. 4 days actor travel on the train, 5 days food for crew, a slap up meal to celebrate. The one thing I learned was next time to pack lunches for everyone.

If I enter Lossfest it will be a return to more like the $60 budget, shot in a friend's house. It's always doable if you keep people close to a microwave :-) The theme of loss I think will mean there are lot more imtimate and therefore cheaper entries this time round.
 
i believe the beauty of independent film is that it challenges the auteur to give an unforgettable experience without the silverscreen budget.
it makes you be creative with shots, with what you do show or cant show due to budget. In "Survival" (film i enetered for TimeFest) we didnt show how the main actress died. we didnt really show the aftermath either, we just simply resumed with the story as if everyone knew she had been killed.

as far as budget goes, ive helped on some nice indie film, but my own, or my most of my friends, for the most part, keep our range from 100-300 big un's

Besides if it was so easy, everyone would be doing it....

:laugh:
 
Yeah, gotcha. Still doesn't matter. Zak's film, which didn't even place, has gone on a life much longer and more successful than any winner I can remember...
This also shows that Zak's film was obviously overlooked by the DVX Academy. :huh:
i.e. The majority of us here. Or those who took the time to vote.
It's surprising considering how good the acting was.

I personally have never entered one of my films into a real Festival. I've been in the finals here 3 times, maybe I should send some DVD's out already.

Although I doubt they would fair half as well. I still have much to learn.
Either way, this is a great place to practice your craft.

MAH
 
Last edited:
My Twilightfest film "Foresight" was shot for $50.00. I had to the pay the bartender $40 to open up the bar for us and another $10 for blood making supplies.

"The Puppeteer" is actually being shot for about $100.00. Craft Services taking up most of that. the rest is just Blood making supplies again, a few other things, and 1 Can of soup.

My list for the puppeteer:
1. Blood making supplies- $10.00
2. Handcuffs-a friend - $0.00
3. Clip Board-got from work -$0.00
4. Airsoft Guns-own them - $0.00
5. Spent Shell Casings-Went to gun range they gave me a bunch for free-$0.00
6. Nurse Scrubs - $10.00 at walmart.
7. Police Badges-Friend - $0.00
8. 1 can of soup - $2.00 I will eat it later
9. Craft Services - $50.00
10. Fabric Glue - $6.00
11. Wrap Beers - $20.00

TOTAL:$98.00

I really Can't see sinking a ton of money into a short. But that's Just me. I guess the idea is to make it look like you did. Because If Darkline would not have said it I would have never in a million years believed that "Broadcast" was shot for so little.
 
Last edited:
Wow, I am putting entirely too much money into my movies!

One thing I tend to spend on is rehearsal space. I never feel right asking actors to rehearse in my home, for example.

But yeah, for the original poster, check it, lot of people making good stuff for nothing.
 
Wow, I am putting entirely too much money into my movies!

I think it's relative to how much money you actually have.

If was a millionaire and decided to drop 10 grand into a short it would be nothing. and to me Not Being a millionaire and dropping $100.00 into a short is nothing.

I don't know how much you spent on RPDM but it deserved every penny.
 
Back
Top