May/June DVXFest Discussion

Barry_S said:
Interesting question. It seems like you shouldn't *have* to include the narrative as long as you shoot the dream sequence and effectively convey that the action taking place is a dream. So I'll make that the only non-mandatory dialogue *as long* as you shoot the dream sequence.

Not to rain down or anything Barry S. but I have to say this. It seems like everyone has a question on if they can change this or that. Now I have no problem w/ that. The thing that concerns me is that some users might assume it's ok to change certain things, then when it comes time to judge they're DQ'd and get pissed off.

I know the rules are already specified on dvxfest.com. It just doesn't seem like some are reading the rules or not entirely clear on what is ok. I don't know, I just have a feeling when it comes time to view entries, people are going to be accused of cheating. ugh I don't know, I just woke up and kinda tired. Sorry for this :(
 
DJ--The whole point of DVXfest is to get users out of their computer chairs and out making movies, provoke some good discussion, and entertain everyone. I like to play a very minimal role in screening out films, but if a film blatently disregards the rules and guidelines, I'll have to DQ it. So far, this has happened exactly once for a film with string of insane copyright violations on top of strongly suspected non-DVX use. It's up to the voting members of this board to decide what film they like most that adheres to the festival rules and guidelines. There have been some past disputes about film length, so 6 minutes max is written in stone for this fest.

This thread is here so filmmakers can ask for clarification and get some guidance if needed, so I don't expect that *any* films will be DQ'd. DVXfest is primarily a non-competitive festival, so I hope people enjoy it in that spirit. However I appreciate the fact that when prizes are involved, the rules and guidelines need to be followed. So have fun, be creative, but ask for clarification if you're wondering if something is acceptable.
 
Great minds... or something...

Great minds... or something...

TC said:
When we first started writing, Barry said this to me, and I think everybody should think about it. Read through the script once where the OBJECT is a gun, now read through it where the OBJECT is a vibrator.

You know... last week when I was reading the script through for the first time that's the first thing that popped into my mind, too. Something about taking matters into your own hands. I dunno.

My producer vetoed the idea, alas. :evil:
 
Hey berry; I am using all of yours and Tc dialogue. But in the scene where they are braking into a house. I was wondering if it would be cool if I changed the location to an office building? If not that is fine.
 
That would be fine.

imgentertainment@mac said:
Hey berry; I am using all of yours and Tc dialogue. But in the scene where they are braking into a house. I was wondering if it would be cool if I changed the location to an office building? If not that is fine.
 
TC and Barry S can I....

kidding!

Look like youre gonna have the potential for a lot of entries this time (unless it always looks like that in the beginning)!

Cant wait!
 
TC said:
When we first started writing, Barry said this to me, and I think everybody should think about it. Read through the script once where the OBJECT is a gun, now read through it where the OBJECT is a vibrator.

Blast! That's what came to mind on my first read through, and I was hoping I was unique, the only pervert who thought of it.... Oh well, hopefully my 'spin' on the characters will be totally unexpected.
 
Hey Barry and TC last change but was wondering if I could have Sam get the phone call instead of Taylor. In the script I have Sam playing a more agressive roll kind of being in charge and Taylor just along for the ride kind of. So if Taylor gets the phone call and sets up the meet it just kinds of throws everything off. So is this cool or not?
 
Sure, that's cool.

imgentertainment@mac said:
Hey Barry and TC last change but was wondering if I could have Sam get the phone call instead of Taylor. In the script I have Sam playing a more agressive roll kind of being in charge and Taylor just along for the ride kind of. So if Taylor gets the phone call and sets up the meet it just kinds of throws everything off. So is this cool or not?
 
Barry S and TC,

I don't know how big you expect this month's contest to be (it seems like you may have quite a few entries) but what do you think about a requirement that only those who have had a forum account on the site before you posted the contest can vote? Just a thought.
 
I'll be taking a *very* close look at the all the votes in this contest. This festival and contest is only meant for DVXUser.com members, which means absolutely no getting friends or relatives registered to vote for your film. If I do find any jury rigging, the culprit will be disqualified from the site and banned for life. I've been considering changing the voting mechanism from a poll to an email, but I'm still thinking about that one. In either case, the voter's identity is recorded. Any votes by newly registered users will be highly suspect and I'm not giving out my definition of "newly registered". Any funny business and TC will be performing some of his funky Tai Chi moves on the perp--with extreme prejudice. :evil:
 
TC stands for Tai Chi. :thumbsup:

Yeah, when there's such good prizes up for grabs; the polling needs to be monitored VERY closely.
 
6 minute hard length, but...

6 minute hard length, but...

Does this include opening titles and end credits?

I'm honestly not sure how movie running times are calculated.

This will be my first movie, I'd like to not screw it up.
 
The way that most people do it is submit a stripped version of they're film (no intro or credits) for the contest, then post a longer version with all that stuff after the voting has commenced.
 
Right. It should be 6 minutes max regardless of whether you include credits in the version you enter.

jdsmith19: The DVXUsers *are* the academy. :thumbsup:
 
Barry et al.-
What about like 6:02 or 6:05, is that a disqualification. I haven't started yet (guess it's getting late) but I can tell you now it's gonna be a close call even with a stripped version. Let me know. We're supposed to shoot tomorrow, should be interesting.
Peace,

-Harry
 
Back
Top