Marshall 7" Monitor in bag/case for air travel?

arthurwoo

Member
I have a Marshall 7" monitor and have a few jobs the the next couple of months that I'll have to fly out for but I haven't had to pack the monitor for air travel before. I'd like to have as few bags possible so, so a separate monitor case isn't what I'm looking for.

Any suggestions? Would a pelican case with foam be ideal? I have a rolling Think Tank bag and a large backpack, but don't feel like the dividers would offer much protection for the screen.

I was thinking that I would get a pelican 1510 with foam, and put my monitor along with all my rig accessories in there and have a small personal item w/ DSLRs a few lenses so I can have all my items with me.

Or if anyone has found a way to DIY a cover for the monitor's screen I would love to hear about it as well. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
The 1510 case is nice, because last time we took it on a flight as a carry on, it got checked anyways. If you're on a smaller plane or last to board and theres no room, guess where your bag goes - yup, thrown under the plane. The thing I don't like about the 1510 is that it's not all that roomy compared to a bag of the same size. There are some really nice bags out there that would offer more than enough protection for your items just as long as it doesn't get tossed under the plane...(I just ordered one of the Digital Juice topload bags). The Marshalls are pretty tough from my experience, I'm not sure if it needs a pelican as long as it's with you, but if you want the piece of mind, then go for it.
 
Thanks Nate. I'm just worried about the monitor's screen as there are no hard covers out there that protect the screen itself, even though it's supposed to be pretty tough. Thinking about it a bit more (regarding ruggedness of the marshall), would the padded dividers be preferable to the foam? I haven't used the pluck foam but heard it's not very good over time. I checked out the Digital Juice topload, I think I still will want a hard case because I've come very close when traveling w/ camera equipment before to being last on the plane. Luckily I've never had to check my think tank airport international but i worry about it every time i'm at the airport lol. it's just the first time i'd be traveling w/ the monitor and not really sure if I want to take a semi soft case with it.

on an unrelated note, i'm also bringing a rig with me. do they let you carry on rods/baseplates/noga arms that are all made of metal?
 
I fly back and forth from New Zealand to the USA and I just use my camera bag that holds my HVX200, t3i, batteries, monitor and sound mic. It is small enough for carry on. I place bubble wrap around my monitor to protect it and never had a problem.
 
For my little Marshall, I just love those Domke wraps. You could always buy one and get someone to sew it into a proper sleeve with a velco closure, like a big padded envelope. If you're worried about screen breakage (vs scratching) you could probably do something like a sheet of lexan or plexi cut to size and worked into some sort of padded sleeve. But I find the padded wrap protects it just fine, I don't pack things in a way that something could really poke into it.
 
Back
Top